RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife goes shopping after church on Sunday. This morning I spotted a 3500 Cummins single rear-wheel truck parked near me. Walked over to look at it a couple times, noting it had the same size tires as my Ecodiesel - 17's. Sure looked higher and beefier than my pickup. As we pulled out to leave here comes the owner. I had to turn around, hear the discord from the wife and ask the question.

The older driver came over, I asked the question, he repeated the fuel mileage question. Looked at me and said... '15 mpg".

We chatted for a bit on a variety of related topics and then I thought to ask what year his Cummins was. 2010. I thought the thing looked brand new. He was not involved with the DEF system and did not know anything about any kind of DPF system. My guess is he has some kind of DPF or aggressive emissions system as they started that stuff around 2007 or 2008. He commented that his highway mileage has never been above 18 mpg, even for short and perfect runs.

Still a bit taken back by this 15 mpg figure, we parted and I got to listen to my wife. She does not like it when I "bother" others about things like that. After a bit she understands. You cannot move big things with little fuel. There are no free rides.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Captain! I'm averaging 17mpg around town and about 21mpg on the Hwy on my 2016 3500.... sometimes I can squeeze 18 around town if I go easy on it. Of course I have the G56 transmission so I don't know if it gets better or worse than what an automatic would get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
This past week I did a trip up north. 5 occupants, few hundred pounds of cargo and a full tank of diesel. Just about 1200km total. Great views, and no whining from the truck, bringing in 8.2L/100km or 28.5MPG

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just a gasser for comparison. My EPA is listed as 13 city and 18 highway for a 4 x 4. That was pretty darn good for a truck in 2009. I do average between 11 and 13 for all my local driving, sometimes a little lower for winter fuel and have averaged just about 19.5 on all my cross country trips. I did average 21 on a trip on I-5 North of Sacramento to Redding, but, that was traveling at just about 65 mph on a perfect day. Was just trying to see how high I could get it.

So yes, I am a little envious.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So far.... around town (in the mountains) low 20's. Highway 28-30. Towing ( close to 8k ) 13.5 - 14.5

Milage is a nice bonus but the best part is that it tows my trailer with ease AND it rides as nice as my car!;););)

Reactions: Mcsap

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My old Cummins 5.9 4 x 4 2500 got me 19 normal and 21 highway. The ones where they started emissions and the giant 6.7 from say 2009 - 2012 got the worst fuel mileage due to the regeneration issue. Then with current emissions helping the big 6.7 is back to what my old one did ... maybe. 19 mpg.

You still meet and read about people with the new emissions and the 6.7 Cummins doing less. Here on this forum the drivers of those trucks do better because our drivers are more informed and skilled. :eek:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My fathers 2013 CC 8' bed Cummins generally averages 16-17 mixed. He tows quite often and always has a fuel
Tank and a loaded bed. Seems to always have a CEL on.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Need to ask my Cummins powered 3500 buddy. The only problem is he tows horse trailers just about 100% of the time commercially and last I knew has over 500k on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've had my dually for just a year now and 21K miles. 2WD G56 3.42's. Unloaded I get 17MPG all day every day around town and mixed. 18MPG on the highway at 65-70. Got 20 one day on a whim. 9MPG all day every day while towing the 43' 5'er at 65MPH. Truck is bone stock For what it is and what it will do, Im happy.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I had a 2010 3500 srw with the 6-speed manual. His 15 is a pretty good number. I would average 14-16 commuting depending on how regens of the DPF fell. I always thought it was funny I could tow 4-5k lbs and not see much difference in fuel mileage because it improved the efficiency of the emissions systems. During the colder parts of the winter my fuel mileage would drop to the 13-14 range, just too long to warm up and even commuting 20 miles hwy speed just isn't enough load to warm it up fast.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Just did a 900 mile trip ,whole trip 12.3 mpgs hand calculated towing a 33ft 5th... I D ...states 12,500 lbs then add everything else ? Guessing over 14k easy ,lots of stuff. Water,sparetires, etc..
I lock out 6th gear now ,I don't like automatic transmissions shifting while pulling,IMOP not good . Basically pulling in 5th going 65 mph ,RPMs 1725-1750 ,seems perfect to me and when I step on it (only if necessary) she motors up and goes almost instantly she'll hit 75-80 mph and the RPMs are around 2000 all in 5th gear .
Truck only on Back country roads 18-20 mpgs,it all depends on multi starting and distances driving .
My friend just deleted his 2012 Cummins,he said his mileage went from 13 to 18 mpg and runs extremely better,he said it's a different truck now ,and not pumped up HP either.

The Best years of the 6.7 Cummins seem to be 2015 and newer ,less issues with emissions and cels , But time will tell how it all plays out .

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
HNG, what gears do you have?

My 2010 had 3.73's with the 6 speed manual and it ran around 2000 rpm in 6th gear at highway speeds, never had to downshift with anything I put behind it, but I probably never had more than 15,000 lbs behind it either. Cousin has a 2008 6.7 deleted and performance tuned... its scary fast, on stock setting he gets around 20 driving conservatively. His auto trans lasted all of 10,000 miles after he deleted and tuned it, he had a new built trans installed and the shop owner told him to try to brake that one and he wouldn't. LOL so far so good.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Mas..... All srw Cummins 2014 and maybe 2013 ? or newer are 3.42 gears no other factory options regardless if 2500 or 3500 ,My truck has an Aisin,and this transmission so far is not capable of being tuned.

I went for a ride in a new Ford 6.7 tuned ,it spun the wheels on hot dry asphalt from about 45mph thru 60 mph , so I can appreciate your cousins truck .:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
The average for my 2017 Ram 2500 on fuelly is 17.6 mpg for the life of the truck so far and the last 10 tanks have averaged out to 18.1 mpg. I have a couple of long trips coming up so I'll get a chance to see what I get driving mostly highway.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Last trip, NE oregon to NE Washington hand calculated was 19.9 @ 75 mph highway speeds. Some city driving but mostly Hwy. Not bad for the 2500.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel Outdoorsman with the 3.92,s. I just moved from Northern BC to New Brunswick. Fully loaded (back end squatting, with heavy duty shocks), we put on 5950 Kilometers. The truck said 9.5 L/100. I kept track and got 9.91L/100, which is 28.5 MPG with the Canadian gallon. It cost $610 for fuel. We paid anywhere from $1.12 in Northern Ontario to $.84 cents in Saskatchewan. By the way, my truck just turned over the 10,000 Kilometer mark before leaving and we have 18,000 now, so under 11,000 miles. We love our truck.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Eco with 3.55. Quad cab 4x4. Get around 22-23 around town, typically 28 on the highway but I have gotten 30 when I babied it.

Towing my 28 ft TT at 6,300 lbs my best is 14.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did a long road trip this weekend, just shy of 1000km. Tires are Duratracs, 65psi front, 60 rear and running winter fuel. Heavy crosswind and a majority highway with some city mixed in. Hand calculated 15.2 L/100km. Return trip was 13.2 L/100km.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts