RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This paragraph of the settlement information should be of importance to you. Pay special attention to the words "substantially affect".

Anyone have a game plan on how to approach the dealer to get the AEM flash performed despite modifications?

If you altered the emission control system in your vehicle, you may still be eligible to receive the AEM and may still be a Class Member eligible for compensation under the Class Action Agreement. However, if the AEM cannot be installed on your vehicle because of alterations to the emission control system or if the alterations are likely to substantially affect the operation of your vehicle with the AEM installed, you may not be eligible for the AEM or compensation under the Class Action Agreement unless you first reverse the alterations, at your own expense (see Paragraph 38.e of the Consent Decree and Paragraph 2.52 of the Class Action Agreement for additional details).

·
Registered
284 Posts
This paragraph of the settlement information should be of importance to you. Pay special attention to the words "substantially affect".

Anyone have a game plan on how to approach the dealer to get the AEM flash performed despite modifications?
Thanks Bounty, based on this I think with external oil cooler you will be fine, but with EGR cooler removed or blocked off, it will be a problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
What kind of modifications are you meaning? Wheels and tires? Oil coolers? Cold air intake? Tune? deletes?

Honestly as long as your emissions is intact I think everyone will be fine.

If you have a tune just hope your ECM wasn’t locked by the tuner. My old T&K ECM was locked and the dealer could not flash over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a tune just hope your ECM wasn’t locked by the tuner. My old T&K ECM was locked and the dealer could not flash over it.
I've never heard of this being an issue, or even possible, with our ECM's.

I'll remove my Stage 1 EGR delete and reinstall the EGR diffuser tube. I'm on the fence about reversing the GDE oil pressure sensor kit. Leaving the kit will throw a CEL after the AEM.

I'm not the least worried about the external oil cooler as I've had warranty work completed in the past with the cooler installed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Only concern I would have about oil kit would be the CEL it throws after the AEM. Dealer might not like that. Make sure you start filling up with DEF if you have been running distilled water. I’m sure a lot of people will forget about that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only concern I would have about oil kit would be the CEL it throws after the AEM. Dealer might not like that. Make sure you start filling up with DEF if you have been running distilled water. I’m sure a lot of people will forget about that.

The dealer can flash over a GDE Hot Tune, speaking from experience. This paragraph would be of concern if you went for an Off Road Tune and eliminated emission system hardware or full delete.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I wonder if I’ll throw any codes when they update because the sensors have been shut off for a couple years. Who knows if they will work! If they don’t, maybe they will want me to fix at my cost before I’m eligible for the settlement?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dealer should be able to install the tune without starting or driving the truck. So any deleted parts would be irrelevant. Just flash the ECU and give the truck back to the owner!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An external oil cooler will not throw any codes, stock tune or otherwise.

I ran my distilled water down during winter and replaced with DEF so I should be good there.

If imagine it will be standard practice after the AEM to start the truck to verify the program and to check for CEL.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts

It seems to e another key statement is the following one-

(2) operable (i.e., capable of being driven under its own engine power lawfully and safely) as of the date the vehicle is brought in for the Approved Emissions Modification.

I don't know enough about individual state emissions laws or the Federal laws to have a knowledgeable opinion but I would question if an emissions non compliant vehicle can operate lawfully on the public roads in the US and/or every individual state. If the answe is no then the question is what, if anything, will the dealer do to determine it is operating lawfully.

·
Registered
263 Posts

I ran my distilled water down during winter and replaced with DEF so I should be good there.

If imagine it will be standard practice after the AEM to start the truck to verify the program and to check for CEL.
I was referring to your oil pressure sensor lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone asked GDE about the effect of AEM or their plans to modify their tune to implement anything from the new changes (I wouldn’t think so)? I kept my original ECM so I will just install that, get updated and then reinstall the GDE one. As long as nothing else is updated to require the AEM then I should be good.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I'm in the same boat, having had my DEF tank full of distilled water, so all I would need to do is empty it and fill with DEF. The time consuming part is getting the GDE reflashed. I went to see them at about 1.5 hours away crossing the border as I like the hands on approach and meeting the guys.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
100% mechanically intact with a GDE tune should not be an issue. My tune was overridden and flashed at 119k for electronic warranty work. Paid $50 and reinstalled at 121k...truck drove fine 2k even though EGR was shit off for 69k...first tuned at 50k.

Physically DELETED parts is the issue IMO. Taking mine in as is. Statement says if can't be done...can be brought back in later...one will not lose eligibility. Also my $18 P06BC code resetter does demonstrate active monitoring data complete with on screen emission compliance data.

Would like to see a dealer argue that live data with a truck 100% mechanically intact...we will see. No worries here.

·
Administrator
8,480 Posts
I'm in the same boat, having had my DEF tank full of distilled water, so all I would need to do is empty it and fill with DEF. The time consuming part is getting the GDE reflashed. I went to see them at about 1.5 hours away crossing the border as I like the hands on approach and meeting the guys.
I'll be heading to Ontario in June. We're going to Big Rideau Lake. Probably not exactly your neck of the woods. Going to need a vacation after going to Disney World with grand kids early June. :D

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not reading all of the posts but I would think they are referring to deleted emissions! They (dealer) can reflash over the GDE tune and would never know it is there if you don't say anything. However they would not be able to flash a deleted truck, egr, egr cooler, DEF deleted and or exhaust delete. If you have deleted your Ram or Jeep you would need to reinstall the parts before you could qualify for the flash and the compensation package (cash and warranty).

Again a dealer can not tell if you are running the GDE tune unless you tell them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well my 2015 is stock except for 3.5" lift and big open country extreme tires......settlement is in May, should get flash by July, August the fun stuff goes into the truck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Has anyone asked GDE about the effect of AEM or their plans to modify their tune to implement anything from the new changes (I wouldn’t think so)? I kept my original ECM so I will just install that, get updated and then reinstall the GDE one. As long as nothing else is updated to require the AEM then I should be good.
I doubt GDE would know at this point since the new flash isn't out yet and who knows what it'll do/change/etc.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
the worry for me is :: during the flash , what if they flash something new
to other software on the truck , something that would require that the
new flash on ecm match the data to other software , then going back to
the tuned ECM would not match the new stuff , and then stuck
with stock ECM for truck to work ......?
hoping this is not a possibility , or too complicated for FCA to consider.
I know .... don't give them ideas ....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well my 2015 is stock except for 3.5" lift and big open country extreme tires......settlement is in May, should get flash by July, August the fun stuff goes into the truck.
thats my plan, I think post settlement I'll elect for the off road tune, in NY this truck falls under the weight to not need to be exhaust tested if I have read everything correctly.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts