RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
I believe it's relatively easy to pump out the distilled water in your DEF tank, I remember seeing a youtube video, just remove fill hose at the tank, drop in a hose from a hand pump and pump it out. Personally, I'd use a pump, not siphon by mouth, hehe.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Many are way over thinking the AEM. If you are tuned, and not emissions deleted, there are two main options:

1. If you have a spare ECU, swap it out before the AEM, then swap in your tuned ECU after the AEM. Relax and wait for check.

2. If you do not have a spare ECU just let them overwrite the tune, then send the ECU back in to be re-tuned after AEM. Relax and wait for re-tuned ECU and check.

In the unfortunate event that your dash lights up like a Christmas tree post AEM, scream and bitch to have it fixed on the post AEM extended warranty. You drove in with no CELs and should expect to drive out without any.

There are a few uppity high and mighty folks who would impugn the integrity of the tuned who are participating in the settlement with the intent to retune immediately upon exiting the service department. I suspect most of them are from California and are envious and jealous of those who are privileged to be tuned. We can't tune, so therefore, you should not be tuned.

Actually, the settlement does state that the vehicle be emissions intact upon arrival for the AEM. Obtaining the AEM qualifies one for the refund. The tuned will comply with that requirement. There is no stipulation that one has to stay emissions compliant to retain the refund. So, the previously tuned are free to retune, or the untuned may obtain a tune if they so desire. Well, as long as they do not live in California.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I believe it's relatively easy to pump out the distilled water in your DEF tank, I remember seeing a youtube video, just remove fill hose at the tank, drop in a hose from a hand pump and pump it out. Personally, I'd use a pump, not siphon by mouth, hehe.
video here again , I personnally used that method , just need strong fingers ,
I used the kind of small pump you put on the end of a drill to syphon one gallon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Many are way over thinking the AEM. If you are tuned, and not emissions deleted, there are two main options:

1. If you have a spare ECU, swap it out before the AEM, then swap in your tuned ECU after the AEM. Relax and wait for check.

2. If you do not have a spare ECU just let them overwrite the tune, then send the ECU back in to be re-tuned after AEM. Relax and wait for re-tuned ECU and check.

In the unfortunate event that your dash lights up like a Christmas tree post AEM, scream and bitch to have it fixed on the post AEM extended warranty. You drove in with no CELs and should expect to drive out without any.

There are a few uppity high and mighty folks who would impugn the integrity of the tuned who are participating in the settlement with the intent to retune immediately upon exiting the service department. I suspect most of them are from California and are envious and jealous of those who are privileged to be tuned. We can't tune, so therefore, you should not be tuned.

Actually, the settlement does state that the vehicle be emissions intact upon arrival for the AEM. Obtaining the AEM qualifies one for the refund. The tuned will comply with that requirement. There is no stipulation that one has to stay emissions compliant to retain the refund. So, the previously tuned are free to retune, or the untuned may obtain a tune if they so desire. Well, as long as they do not live in California.
Well said.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Translation: "If you're vehicle is tuned/deleted, please restore it back to it's stock configuration before you bring it in for the recall (if possible) so that we can all be happier. Thanks."

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Translation: "If you're vehicle is tuned/deleted, please restore it back to it's stock configuration before you bring it in for the recall (if possible) so that we can all be happier. Thanks."

Not my interpretation. I don't think anyone that's tuned with emissions intact will have an issue.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

100%

100%

Not sure how that would work for you. The dash is not going to light up like a Christmas tree if you are not deleted. If it lights up after you reinstall the ECM with the replacement tune the dealer is going to reflash the ECM at best OR call FCA/Ram and notify them and ask them what they want them to do. Most likely they will be told to do a reflash and if you show back up at a later date they will tell the dealer to upload the ECM and send the data to them. I'm sure if you are not deleted you will not have an issue with a tune from GDE.

Actually, the settlement does state that the vehicle be emissions intact upon arrival for the AEM. Obtaining the AEM qualifies one for the refund. The tuned will comply with that requirement. There is no stipulation that one has to stay emissions compliant to retain the refund. So, the previously tuned are free to retune, or the untuned may obtain a tune if they so desire. Well, as long as they do not live in California. 100%
Not sure about the second to last statement, I would hope no one would do something like that.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A ECU update shouldn't require the dealer to drive the truck or inspect it. Technician opens drivers door and hooks up OBDII and completes the flash. He unplugs the OBDII cable and tells the service writer the truck is done. It could be that simple.

OR

The technician could go out of his way to look under the truck or when driving the truck out of the service bay it throws a CEL. :confused:

I just went ahead and signed up for the lawsuit. Beyond the hassles, I don't think RAM has addressed the engine failures and the warranty doesn't cover engine failures.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A ECU update shouldn't require the dealer to drive the truck or inspect it. Technician opens drivers door and hooks up OBDII and completes the flash. He unplugs the OBDII cable and tells the service writer the truck is done. It could be that simple.

OR

The technician could go out of his way to look under the truck or when driving the truck out of the service bay it throws a CEL. :confused:

I just went ahead and signed up for the lawsuit. Beyond the hassles, I don't think RAM has addressed the engine failures and the warranty doesn't cover engine failures.
Are you sure they do this update by the OBDII?

I ask because GDE cannot do their changes to the ECM via the OBDII so I question whether the service tech can do it that way.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Are you sure they do this update by the OBDII?

I ask because GDE cannot do their changes to the ECM via the OBDII so I question whether the service tech can do it that way.
Yes, update has always been via OBD port.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The AEM will be done using the OBDII port. The GDE tune can not be done as it wipes the whole OE tune and reinstalls their tune. This would take to long using the OBDII port.

As for Overlook637's comments, The AEM update CAN NOT be installed on a deleted turck! So yep the dealer will be checking that the emissions system is 100% intack before they upload the AEM update (or you had better hope they do). If they didn't you would have a 7000+/- pound paper weight on your hands! Once the update is done there is no going back......well not from the dealer anyway. You would have to send the ECM out to GDE or maybe PPEI and you would not be getting any money from FCA/Ram. You might however get a letter from the EPA!

So here is your warning........IF YOU ARE DELETED OR EVEN PARTLY DELETED DO NOT TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DEALER UNTIL YOU REINSTALL EVERY PART YOU TOOK OFF YOUR TRUCK!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The gde tune doesn’t wipe the whole tune and install there own they alter the oem tune (bosch) just like fca did. The reason they dont offer obd2 tuning is because the encryption that was put in place on the ecm itself, but dim sport cracked that back in January. Within the next couple months gde well hopefully release tuning via obd2 port. There is one big thing that is unanswered though since they could change the encryption with the aem and make it so no one can tune it for months if not years. The aem well be done via the obd2 port just like all software updates have been previously but it’s probably mandatory for the tech to an inspection for modifications just like a warranty claim.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The gde tune doesn’t wipe the whole tune and install there own they alter the oem tune (bosch) just like fca did. The reason they dont offer obd2 tuning is because the encryption that was put in place on the ecm itself, but dim sport cracked that back in January. Within the next couple months gde well hopefully release tuning via obd2 port. There is one big thing that is unanswered though since they could change the encryption with the aem and make it so no one can tune it for months if not years. The aem well be done via the obd2 port just like all software updates have been previously but it’s probably mandatory for the tech to an inspection for modifications just like a warranty claim.
I have two points regarding this statement and my truck.

1.) I am glad that I kept my original ECM, which is currently sitting on a shelf in my shop. Ironically, it still has the fault codes from when we couldn't get it to run.
2.) My dealer is awesome and he is more interested in keeping me happy than snooping around my truck. Plus, since he bought my tune, I think he knows it's there.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I have two points regarding this statement and my truck.

1.) I am glad that I kept my original ECM, which is currently sitting on a shelf in my shop. Ironically, it still has the fault codes from when we couldn't get it to run.
2.) My dealer is awesome and he is more interested in keeping me happy than snooping around my truck. Plus, since he bought my tune, I think he knows it's there.
So can we all take our trucks to your dealer? Please?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
as mentioned here in this thread : post #49
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/green-diesel-engineering/47761-want-tune-newbie.html

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So here is your warning........IF YOU ARE DELETED OR EVEN PARTLY DELETED DO NOT TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DEALER UNTIL YOU REINSTALL EVERY PART YOU TOOK OFF YOUR TRUCK!
I won't be removing my external oil cooler nor will I reinstall the AGS.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts