RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How many GDE tunes have been sold? Multiply that by $3075.00. That will be the motivation to try and weasel out. It is a guaranteed way to make some of the pain go away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How many GDE tunes have been sold? Multiply that by $3075.00. That will be the motivation to try and weasel out. It is a guaranteed way to make some of the pain go away.
Except the fact that they have to follow the settlement agreement.
Which does not allow them to weasel out due to a tune.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm just saying follow the money. Your all big boys.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
planning on getting hypnotized and remove all my knowledge of a tune the day before I go in ,:p
so I don't say too much and RAT myself out ...
( If we ever get a settlement and AEM north of the border that is ) .

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Have your significant other drop it off.

·
Registered
376 Posts
thats my plan, I think post settlement I'll elect for the off road tune, in NY this truck falls under the weight to not need to be exhaust tested if I have read everything correctly.
But they do plug into the obd port for the inspection, so if it doesn't have the readiness flag or has any cel's on or pending, guess what.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
HVAC fear mongering lol.

As per the Consent Decree, FCA will receive ½ credit toward the EPA mandated target for any vehicle identified as “Owner-Altered Subject Vehicles” This is documented in paragraph 41C.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
HVAC fear mongering lol.

As per the Consent Decree, FCA will receive ½ credit toward the EPA mandated target for any vehicle identified as “Owner-Altered Subject Vehicles” This is documented in paragraph 41C.
To read that section further, it states 1/2 credit for owner-altered vehicles that do not return for the AEM within the approved claim period. There is also a provision for FCA to send said owners a certain number of notices.

This 1/2 credit is an incentive for dealers to get vehicles updated with the AEM for the full 1/1 credit. Turning vehicles away is not in their best interest if they can get the vehicle updated.

We know you're against anyone tuning their vehicles, you really have nothing to gain by fear-mongering.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Fear mongering or speculation? In the eyes of the beholder Bounty.

This story is now finally unfolding, lets all hope you are totally correct. But, the digital trail is unforgiving and relentless. Time will tell....

·
Registered
388 Posts
The AEM will be done using the OBDII port. The GDE tune can not be done as it wipes the whole OE tune and reinstalls their tune. This would take to long using the OBDII port.

As for Overlook637's comments, The AEM update CAN NOT be installed on a deleted turck! So yep the dealer will be checking that the emissions system is 100% intack before they upload the AEM update (or you had better hope they do). If they didn't you would have a 7000+/- pound paper weight on your hands! Once the update is done there is no going back......well not from the dealer anyway. You would have to send the ECM out to GDE or maybe PPEI and you would not be getting any money from FCA/Ram. You might however get a letter from the EPA!

So here is your warning........IF YOU ARE DELETED OR EVEN PARTLY DELETED DO NOT TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DEALER UNTIL YOU REINSTALL EVERY PART YOU TOOK OFF YOUR TRUCK!
My initial thoughts were.
  1. Drive tuned and deleted truck to a friendly dealer
  2. in parking lot, near service bay, change the ECU
  3. ask for the truck to be updated without being driven
  4. get the AEM
  5. Change the ECU back to GDE and drive home
But if you say they will check, I'll trust your word.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My initial thoughts were.
  1. Drive tuned and deleted truck to a friendly dealer
  2. in parking lot, near service bay, change the ECU
  3. ask for the truck to be updated without being driven
  4. get the AEM
  5. Change the ECU back to GDE and drive home
But if you say they will check, I'll trust your word.
That is what I plan on doing. Drive truck to dealer. Install factory ECM. Drive into bay. Flash ECM. Back out of bay and install tuned ECM back in. Drive home.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Bingo. I can only think some kind of deeply hidden lifetime data logger that reports a disconnect.

If I were you guys, oem ecm. Collect a check.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I sure as heck would NOT swap out the ECM in the dealers lot! If that is your plan just go in and tell the dealer the truck is tuned. The other side of the coin is if the factory ECM is installed I can't see how the dealer could report you as the OE tune is now in the truck. You might want to talk to the dealers S.M. and get a feel for how he feels about mods first.

I have a very mod friendly dealer but not all dealers service managers are the same. But as I said in the other thread, a tune is not going to get you in trouble. They will simply write over the tune and would never know it was there. The issue is with deleted truck as the AME or even the stock tune before the AEM is not compatible with the deletes!

And as I said in the other thread the money for this was set aside two years ago at over $800,000,000.00. FCA is going to want to flash as many trucks as they can to insure they hit the number of trucks needed to satisfy the courts requirements. By taking a 1/2 of a credit they run the risk of paying out more money than they need to.

Oh and yes it is logged that the ECM was disconnected and reconnected, just like it is logged anytime a flash is done, but again to find this FCA would have to have every ECM downloaded and then uploaded to them and go through each one. I hope none of you are that stupid to think FCA or any manufacture would do this. Way to time consuming for the little bit of money they might save. Now if your truck is deleted they already know you are running a tune so do you really want to roll those dice?

·
Registered
533 Posts
^^^ I think that my dealer knows my tune is there^^^ Not sure what you are talking about, but you seem to be mixing deletes and tunes....reference your second sentence. As far as connecting and disconnecting the ECM, I could care less what FCA or the dealer sees. My truck, my ECM. I could unplug it a 100 times if I wanted. Don't think the goobermint is gonna come git me.
What the rest of you do is up to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I talked with my dealer manager about the law suit Monday when I picked my truck up from installing lift kit. He knows my truck is fully deleted and I have no warrenty left.. That being said he was already over thinking the flash. He jumped right on the (I don't know what will happen when we start the truck again eliminating the tune). I told him, who said you have to start my truck? All you have to do is plug it in, do the update, leave it. We'll go back in and sign the paperwork, then I will go back out and put my tuned ecm back in and drive away.. He's like, yea I could probably do that... Idk if it's just a new england thing now but, common sense seems to be faint now. And everyone always trys stretching everything out with a fine tooth comb even if there's supporting documents.. (lawsuit rules listed).

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
^^^ I think that my dealer knows my tune is there^^^ Not sure what you are talking about, but you seem to be mixing deletes and tunes....reference your second sentence. As far as connecting and disconnecting the ECM, I could care less what FCA or the dealer sees. My truck, my ECM. I could unplug it a 100 times if I wanted. Don't think the goobermint is gonna come git me.
What the rest of you do is up to you.
So did you tell the dealer it is tuned? Otherwise the dealer would have a hard time knowing the truck is tuned. Other than checking the ECM's serial number. Again the dealer can not see the actual code in the ECM. As far as deletes and tunes go, not sure what you're talking about. I reread the second sentence and even the second paragraph and don't see what you are talking about. A tuned truck can have the ECM over written, on a deleted truck if the AEM flash is installed will throw so many codes and may not even run.

If you re-read my post I said "The other side of the coin is if the factory ECM is installed I can't see how the dealer could report you as the OE tune is now in the truck.", meaning if you were to remove the tuned ECM and install the OE ECM in the dealers lot. Can they do anything about that? Most likely not but why would you want to take that chance? Kind of like walking up to a bee hive and kicking it, you will most likely get you butt stung! Myself I would just swap the ECM at home and not have to worry about someone asking me "hay what are you doing? Is it your truck? Yes....yes it is, but why would you want to take the chance that the dealer would report your truck and void any powertrain coverage you have?

Just not a smart move if you ask me, but like you said it's your truck but it's FCA providing the warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I talked with my dealer manager about the law suit Monday when I picked my truck up from installing lift kit. He knows my truck is fully deleted and I have no warrenty left.. That being said he was already over thinking the flash. He jumped right on the (I don't know what will happen when we start the truck again eliminating the tune). I told him, who said you have to start my truck? All you have to do is plug it in, do the update, leave it. We'll go back in and sign the paperwork, then I will go back out and put my tuned ecm back in and drive away.. He's like, yea I could probably do that... Idk if it's just a new england thing now but, common sense seems to be faint now. And everyone always trys stretching everything out with a fine tooth comb even if there's supporting documents.. (lawsuit rules listed).
I bet we will find a lot of dealers willing to work with their customers, well the smaller ones anyway. I would stay away from the big boys myself. Everyone I have dealt with were 100% on the companies side and would report you in a New York minute!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts