RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Myself I would just swap the ECM at home and not have to worry about someone asking me "hay what are you doing? Is it your truck? Yes....yes it is, but why would you want to take the chance that the dealer would report your truck and void any powertrain coverage you have?
I was thinking the truck would have several CEL by the time I reached the dealership from my house. The ECU it pretty easy and quick to swap.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
overlook637 , would there be a shopping center parking lot ,closer to the dealer ,where the swap could be made
and not give time for multiple CEL to pop up .
that was my plan , but I wonder about the swap with the hot temp of the DPF just under the ECM
I only swapped with truck cold , dropeed a bolt both times .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well since mine aint tuned yet, i think ill wait till they do the update, then send it off and get it tuned. Of course I'll have to get something nice for the wife so she don't get freaked by the cost. Though there is a nice irony in knowing the money FCA sends me will pay for the tune.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,112 Posts
If this discussion motivates forum members to minimally do the update with an oem ecm, even if purchased from a junk yard, then I believe that is your best plan. Well,the best is never to take it back to dealer. Delete, remove everything and move on.

This morning in the rv park. Guy next to me with a new dually ctd, hears the eco start cold. Its has become very noisy. I mean it sounds like an old GM v6 diesel.

He walk over and asks if it is deleted and tuned. Geez!!! Now peeps think I'm tuned. O well.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
So did you tell the dealer it is tuned? Otherwise the dealer would have a hard time knowing the truck is tuned.
You missed his earlier posts where he let us know that his truck was having electrical/electronic gremlins that the dealer was having a hard time diagnosing/fixing. So the dealer actually paid for the tune! And like magic all of the electrical/electronic issues have disappeared.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the GDE tune last Oct or Nov at about 58K - put original ECM back in about a week ago (~65K) and had the AEM done yesterday. Fyi, when I picked up the truck they told me they "drove the truck and completed a regen". I don't know if the installation of the AEM tune invokes the completion of a regen with an 80% plugged message like what happens when you first install a GDE tuned ECM, or if it was just a coincidence that a regen had started and not completed yet before I dropped off the truck. I had driven the truck about 100 miles on the stock ECM before dropping it off at the dealership. I have not put the GDE tuned ECM back in yet.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I got the GDE tune last Oct or Nov at about 58K - put original ECM back in about a week ago (~65K) and had the AEM done yesterday. Fyi, when I picked up the truck they told me they "drove the truck and completed a regen". I don't know if the installation of the AEM tune invokes the completion of a regen with an 80% plugged message like what happens when you first install a GDE tuned ECM, or if it was just a coincidence that a regen had started and not completed yet before I dropped off the truck.
I believe every AEM install includes a regen because the ECM's memory is overwritten and it has no knowledge of DPF capacity. This is the same reason the GDE tune comes ready to regen.

Had my AEM installed today. 5 miles from the dealer I get a "Service DEF, See dealer" message on the dash. Oh well, new GDE ecm ready to go in.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts