RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are supposed to be able to order the transmission tune where they send you the tune, with a flash device, and when you are done you return the device for a net cost of $350. But I can't find it on their site. I do see the touchscreen transmission tuner for $400, but I'm pretty sure that is just for the device itself, and you keep it. I also don't think that includes the TCM tune. Maybe I'm wrong. The site is not at all clear to me.

I don't see the ability to just order the transmission tune ala carte with a loaner flash device. Can someone point that out?

SFT if you are seeing this, you really need to evaluate the usability of your website.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You are supposed to be able to order the transmission tune where they send you the tune, with a flash device, and when you are done you return the device for a net cost of $350. But I can't find it on their site. I do see the touchscreen transmission tuner for $400, but I'm pretty sure that is just for the device itself, and you keep it. I also don't think that includes the TCM tune. Maybe I'm wrong. The site is not at all clear to me.

I don't see the ability to just order the transmission tune ala carte with a loaner flash device. Can someone point that out?

SFT if you are seeing this, you really need to evaluate the usability of your website.
The touchscreen device does come with the TCM tune. You will be able to do the ECU tune with it shortly as well. I really like their TCM tune. There is one drawback when towing that I don't like, but overall I'm extremely happy with the TCM tune I purchased from them.

I'm just about done with my MPG loops comparing GDE and SFT tunes. I have both tunes on two separate ECU's. Sharing my results and what I like about both tunes and what I dislike. A big negative for me is the name SFT chose. Its hard to refer them to any of my colleagues that are semi professional because the name itself is a pretty big turn off and is really unprofessional. My father picked up a 2015 ED recently and I sent him to their site to get the tunes and he saw the name and said he didn't want anything to do with them. Found out his truck was previously tuned by GDE, so we ordered a new/update tune from GDE and it only cost us $50. We will be doing the TCM tune through GDE as well.

SFT also recently posted a video comparing tunes themselves with stock, GDE and there own. Not really a good comparison, and it shows them racing and there is a little kid, maybe 2 or 3 yrs old, in the front seat just bouncing around with no seat belt. Being a father of 4 kids myself, this was upsetting to see and not something I would have shared from my business youtube channel.

If they want to stay in the game, they need a marketing person or team that is professional. The product can be great, but if its packaged in "$h!t" no one is going to buy it...

I have dealt directly with the guys at SFT and the support and service has been excellent. Better than I've received from GDE. GDE acted like they really could have cared less about my business. They mentioned that they wanted me to sign a nda as well, which is silly to ask a customer to sign. But I can understand since I've done some videos comparing SFT and GDE and have worked with SFT directly a few times. But I'm no fanboy of either. I just like knowing what works best and want to help others as well.

Got off on a tangent a bit there. I'll share my videos once they are up. And to the old guys that don't like watching videos, I'll simply put down the MPG results in my post for them to see.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information about the touchscreen device. I look forward to seeing your testing results.

·
Registered
144 Posts
And what would that drawback be?
The tune sets the pressure lower for shift points, so it shifts sooner. When towing, if you are going up a hill and let off the throttle a little, but still pushing it, between 1-3 anywhere, till downshift into a low gear that is too low to climb and you have to push the pedal down pretty far, or manually up-shift it to get it to change gears again. Its happened to me a few times after getting off the highway and turning onto a hill. Its very easy to correct, just irritating that you have to correct it and it only occurs at low speeds, usually under 20mph. Otherwise, in all other circumstances, the TCM tune does great.

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
The tune sets the pressure lower for shift points, so it shifts sooner. When towing, if you are going up a hill and let off the throttle a little, but still pushing it, between 1-3 anywhere, till downshift into a low gear that is too low to climb and you have to push the pedal down pretty far, or manually up-shift it to get it to change gears again. Its happened to me a few times after getting off the highway and turning onto a hill. Its very easy to correct, just irritating that you have to correct it and it only occurs at low speeds, usually under 20mph. Otherwise, in all other circumstances, the TCM tune does great.
Do you use tow/haul mode?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wow! Yes, that stuff was common in the 60's and 70's but not so much today with seat belt laws, chimes, and dash light illumination. The video with the kid almost dangling out the open window under acceleration might be enough evidence for child endangerment. Hopefully it's a wake up call!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good question Capt, I believe John Jensen another member is running SKT, I think he may have posted a response in another thread, I'm looking but can't seem to find the forum response.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does the SKT turn off the DEF and the EGR system?
You can choose to disable/delete EGR and DPF when you purchase the tune. SFT regens at 65% soot level vs GDE's 80% soot, so you will burn more fuel with SFT than GDE just by that alone. I've seen that in just day to day driving between the tunes. Its really hard to tell if SFT is much cleaner than stock because of that 65% soot level regen. Feels like it regens the same.

In addition to the MPG loop I'm doing to compare the tunes, I also tow trailers 2-3 times a week and will do a comparison between the tunes while towing. I'll be showing oil temps, EGT's etc and fuel economy while doing some pulling up hills. I have another tow loop I've setup that has a nice steady climb in it that will make it easy to monitor the temps between the tunes.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
SFT regens at 65% soot level vs GDE's 80% soot, so you will burn more fuel with SFT than GDE just by that alone. I've seen that in just day to day driving between the tunes. Its really hard to tell if SFT is much cleaner than stock because of that 65% soot level regen. Feels like it regens the same.
It probably does regen at the same frequency as stock. Which would explain why Jimmy refused to tell me the average regen interval he's seen with his tunes. If it's the same interval as stock, he likely doesn't remove pilot injection, which is the main soot producer in this engine.

If you could post an average regen interval, it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
You can choose to disable/delete EGR and DPF when you purchase the tune. SFT regens at 65% soot level vs GDE's 80% soot, so you will burn more fuel with SFT than GDE just by that alone. I've seen that in just day to day driving between the tunes. Its really hard to tell if SFT is much cleaner than stock because of that 65% soot level regen. Feels like it regens the same.

In addition to the MPG loop I'm doing to compare the tunes, I also tow trailers 2-3 times a week and will do a comparison between the tunes while towing. I'll be showing oil temps, EGT's etc and fuel economy while doing some pulling up hills. I have another tow loop I've setup that has a nice steady climb in it that will make it easy to monitor the temps between the tunes.
GDE had commented on the soot level in another post.

"The soot level % is just a conversion from the resistance flow model. It is a meaningless value, GDE 80% is stock and SFT 65% if you look at the grams of loading in the dpf. SFT is cheaper for a reason. If you look at the technical data like fuel economy, performance, miles between regens, oil analysis, etc., you will see the differences."

There's not much said on here about the regen frequency with the sofa. I have seen on other sites that it's about every 100-110 miles. In my experience GDE will regen every 700-800 miles. 65% vs 80% doesn't mean that much.

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
Bump. Do you use tow/haul mode?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bump. Do you use tow/haul mode?
Yes, this occurs with tow/haul enabled.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I thought that's how tow/haul should behave?
I thought he said it upshifted too soon, which seems contrary to tow/haul.

It's confusing when he says he lets up on the throttle and it downshifts, and he's required to mash the throttle for an upshift. Someone confused, is it me?

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
I thought he said it upshifted too soon, which seems contrary to tow/haul.

It's confusing when he says he lets up on the throttle and it downshifts, and he's required to mash the throttle for an upshift. Someone confused, is it me?
I guess I was referring to "manually up-shift it to get it to change gears again" thinking it wasn't upshifting soon enough. So yes it's very confusing. Let's wait and see if Gputah can make sense of it

1 - 20 of 56 Posts