RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I guess I was referring to "manually up-shift it to get it to change gears again" thinking it wasn't upshifting soon enough. So yes it's very confusing. Let's wait and see if Gputah can make sense of it
Sorry for confusion. When I start heading up a hill, if I'm not pushing the pedal down enough, it will shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear too soon and bog the engine and will not shift back to first until I either floor it or manually shift it. It will slow down, and almost kill the engine unless I intervene.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Sorry for confusion. When I start heading up a hill, if I'm not pushing the pedal down enough, it will shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear too soon and bog the engine and will not shift back to first until I either floor it or manually shift it. It will slow down, and almost kill the engine unless I intervene.
Got it. So it upshifts too soon.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Got it. So it upshifts too soon.
Yep, that. ?

Interesting thing today. I swapped ecu's and have the gde tune in now and my oil temps are 4-6 degrees higher than with sft when towing. I'm wondering if the pilot injection would effect temps? Gde removes that and that is the only thing I can think of that might effect the temps
I haven't monitored egts yet, i plan on doing that soon. But I towed one of my trailers Tuesday up a canyon and had sft and the engine oil didn't go above 246. Today, same trailer, same canyon and same speeds but with gde my oil hit 254 multiple times. With stock (post emissions flash) my oil hit 264 doing this same drive.

I towed over 2000 miles with the sft tune and the hottest it got was 246. I've hit 250 several times last night and today after switching ecus to GDE. Let me know your thoughts on this and what might be contributing to this.

Reactions: osmckeown

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Too many variables to make 4-6 degrees significant. I don't see anything remotely factual here.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stupid question here. Would the touchscreen tuner allow backing up the GDE tune on a GDE tuned ECM and apply their SFT tune and then switch back? Or is the GDE tune overwritten by a stock tune on the programmer when you revert the SFT tune?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I asked Jimmy that question. He said when the GDE tune was downloaded and sent to him for modification anything GDE related would be erased and the SFT tune applied.

Now I would think that the GDE tune would be stored as the stock file but who knows. He didn’t really elaborate on that part.

If you downloaded the file to send to him couldn’t you just keep that file saved and upload it back to the flash tool and flash it back onto the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,340 Posts
I asked Jimmy that question. He said when the GDE tune was downloaded and sent to him for modification anything GDE related would be erased and the SFT tune applied.

Now I would think that the GDE tune would be stored as the stock file but who knows. He didn’t really elaborate on that part.

If you downloaded the file to send to him couldn’t you just keep that file saved and upload it back to the flash tool and flash it back onto the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have Green Diesel tune, why would you want to spend money to downgrade the truck with SKT? I hope not many people do this.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
As to the 4-6 degree temperature canyon trailering difference it could simply be one day you had a slight head or tailwind and the next day you did not. If you multiple trips with each tune all the same with such stuff as wind reports it would start to have some significance.

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would love to see how SKT does his R&D and his instruments he uses for turbo speed and the other measurements needed for a safe tune.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you have Green Diesel tune, why would you want to spend money to downgrade the truck with SKT? I hope not many people do this.
How does going from GDE to SFT downgrade the truck?
I did that and I am not aware of or experienced any downgrade.
In fact it may have been an upgrade.
So GDE, just what is the downgrade you claim?

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Check out the following data when the SKT tune was analyzed. It's definitely a downgrade and typical of someone that doesn't know tuning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Check out the following data when the SKT tune was analyzed. It's definitely a downgrade and typical of someone that doesn't know tuning.
Are you answering for GDE?

Reactions: Dennett

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I answered for me. I don't understand what you're asking. I'm sorry you bought a Jimmy tune, but with living in CA you don't have many options.
I was asking because my question was clearly directed to GDE as they were the one who made the statement.
I was asking because I didn't know if you were GDE or their agent. If you are neither I really don't care what you have to say.

By the way, don't be sorry for me having a SFT tune, it is performing quite well. And you are mistaken, I had the option of keeping my GDE tune.

Reactions: SFNYC

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
I was asking because my question was clearly directed to GDE as they were the one who made the statement.
I was asking because I didn't know if you were GDE or their agent. If you are neither I really don't care what you have to say.

By the way, don't be sorry for me having a SFT tune, it is performing quite well. And you are mistaken, I had the option of keeping my GDE tune.
I'm neither GDE nor their agent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I'm glad you think the Jimmy tune is working well for you. Some tend to think that way to help justify their decision and expense. I think the tune and skill of the seller have been properly debunked.

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm neither GDE nor their agent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I'm glad you think the Jimmy tune is working well for you. Some tend to think that way to help justify their decision and expense. I think the tune and skill of the seller have been properly debunked.
I like your humor and I understand your opinion. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Just to clarify jimmy did not write the ecm tune nor does he have a clue about what changes effect the engine and how. He uses tuning from a company overseas called optimal remap llc which is extremely similar to celtic tuning. Jimmy seems decent at the computer side of things but knows little to nothing about how engines work. If one is looking for a stock tune with some of the emission equipment shut off at a cheap price then its fine but its not a high end tune by any means. I'll shut up now since this is slightly off topic.

·
Vendor
1,340 Posts
SKT does not touch the two pilot injection events.

John Jensen. Read the items Bounty Hunter attached, that came from GDE and is our engineering assessment of what was done in that tune. It is a downgrade in terms of turbo speed limits at full throttle, worse fuel economy, and dirtier engine oil.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts