RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Ecodiesel owners,
Need someone to answer some questions. I have consider to get the SFT tune with the Tran tune as well. The SFT has an option "EGR Removed" I am trying to figure out if this mean I have completed remove the EGR from my truck. I read the SFT description and to me it sound like it meant to shutt off the EGR values. If this is the case, by checking the EGR Remove it will shut off the EGR. Do I still need to completely remove the EGR if I have the egr valve off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can leave the EGR assembly in place if you want, it doesn't have to be removed.
Thank you Crash68 for your response. Do you know if by keeping the EGR assemble while having the EGR shutoff, the truck performance would be the same if it had the EGR disassemble? Just asking, it's something I want to consider doing in the future.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,744 Posts
if the EGR valve is commanded close, there won't be any effect on performance if it's still on the truck.
There is a slim risk the EGR cooler could develop a coolant leak even though the EGR cooler is not in use, but if that happens you can remove it.
So your research on whatever tuner your considering, some have persistent problems that keep plaguing their customers.

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,331 Posts
Everything that Crash said.
I've had the SFT since 2019. There's no reason or need to remove the EGR.
Their current tune (W58 recall updated) also turns off the DEF system, which I do not like.
I am in the process of ordering the MRT tune which has the option to keep the DEF system working.

·
Registered
186 Posts
why isn't there an easy way to just close the EGR, block it, keep it from opening. It seems there should be a fairly easy way to stop it from opening. Why should it be necessary to buy something like SFT to close it.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
756 Posts
why isn't there an easy way to just close the EGR, block it, keep it from opening. It seems there should be a fairly easy way to stop it from opening. Why should it be necessary to buy something like SFT to close it.
SFT (or any other tune which offers the option) IS the easy way to close the EGR valve.

With the factory tune in the ECM, the EGR valve will open and close as commanded by the tune. Using the SFT (or other) tune will keep the valve closed all the time. The EGR and cooler can stay installed on the engine (but not functional) or you can remove it.

You could just install block-off plates between the flanges where the EGR connects, preventing any exhaust from flowing into the engine, but without a tune like SFT you'll get a CEL because the ECM will determine that the EGR is not functioning as intended. As far as I know this CEL won't affect driveability, but you won't be able to use your remote start because the CEL is on.

In theory you could remove the actuator that opens the valve, but you'll get the same result as the block-off plates. I'm not sure if anyone has ever looked into this or even considered it.

As @Crash68 said, do your research and make sure you're getting a good tune. But keep in mind the EPA has been cracking down on this stuff lately so trying to find a reputable company with a good tune is difficult.

Reactions: Crash68

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not that I would or I need to, but what if you removed the EGR pipe, blocked off the intake port for it, and redirected the EGR output out to say......the atmosphere...or put it inline with the dpf.... Or something like that. Egr is still working. Not throwing all the soot in the top of the motor. Wonder if that would throw a code.

Just thinking out loud

Reactions: TwoBobs

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Not that I would or I need to, but what if you removed the EGR pipe, blocked off the intake port for it, and redirected the EGR output out to say......the atmosphere...or put it inline with the dpf.... Or something like that. Egr is still working. Not throwing all the soot in the top of the motor. Wonder if that would throw a code.

Just thinking out loud
Absolutely would cause a bunch of codes and might start a fire tuning is the only way to get rid of the egr all other options well cause issues without tuning.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
283 Posts
Everything that Crash said.
Their current tune (W58 recall updated) also turns off the DEF system, which I do not like.
I am in the process of ordering the MRT tune which has the option to keep the DEF system working.
Umm the fact the EGR coolers are prone to leaking is a good enough reason to Stage 2 EGR delete it and be done with it. I was tempted to do Stage 1 and just block the ports but after reading all the EGR cooler failures it was a no brainer. Not a fun job but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not sure what year your truck is, but if you foresee any trips to the dealer for warranty work, leaving the EGR intact so you can flash back to the OE tune is probably the more prudent way to go. If you are beyond your warranty or not worried about it, then removing the EGR is better for the motor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So John, I'm on the SFT web page. It says "SFT Stage 1 standard options (emissions intact): " So no mention of turning off the EGR.
Stage 2 which requires a user Delete.
I also don't see where they tune anything past 2019 model year.

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,331 Posts
So John, I'm on the SFT web page. It says "SFT Stage 1 standard options (emissions intact): " So no mention of turning off the EGR.
Stage 2 which requires a user Delete.
I also don't see where they tune anything past 2019 model year.
When you place your order there is an option you selecr to turn the EGR off.
Unless they have changed they send both Stage 1 & 2 tunes
Not sure what years they tune
Suggest you contact them for confirmation

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
283 Posts
Not sure what year your truck is, but if you foresee any trips to the dealer for warranty work, leaving the EGR intact so you can flash back to the OE tune is probably the more prudent way to go. If you are beyond your warranty or not worried about it, then removing the EGR is better for the motor.
Brother in law just bought a 2021 duramax off the dealer lot. Less than 10,000kms and it's spent over 3 weeks at dealer with DPF sensor problems. Not only is these emissions components troublesome, with the global parts shortages you can't get the parts to fix it either.

Being that we can delete up here he's planning on it now. It will most likely void his warranty but at some point warranty is useless when they can't get parts and the truck sits at a dealer for months while paying for it to be a parking lot queen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts