RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my engine tune today, trans tune will be ready on Monday, On my 30 mile test drive my MPG was actually worse than the mpg's I was getting with the AEM update. I have heard the truck/engine has to relearn this new tune. Anyone have this experience too. Please elaborate ....thank you

·
Registered
559 Posts
Installed my engine tune today, trans tune will be ready on Monday, On my 30 mile test drive my MPG was actually worse than the mpg's I was getting with the AEM update. I have heard the truck/engine has to relearn this new tune. Anyone have this experience too. Please elaborate ....thank you
A 30 mile test drive is not even close to being enough miles to do a fuel consumption test, never mind on a vehicle that has just had major electrical/electronic surgery. Drive it for a couple of tanks of fuel, then do a 300 mile fuel economy test. Then you'll know.

·
Registered
686 Posts
As John Bartley said, 30 miles after install is not a valid test.
My experience with the SFT tune is it gets the same local MPG as my GDE tune did. When driving on the mountain grades it is better than I did with the GDE tune. I'm not giving actual MPG figures because I have too many mods that effect mileage negatively. Just trying to answer your post that SFT gets good mileage. If you don't get the expected mileage be sure to contact SFT as Jimmy can and will work with you to make it run as advertised.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you fall victim to the more responsive power the tune gives you, you can easily get less mpg. However, overtime it will be better and if you don't have your foot in the throttle you will see improvements.

Once the transmission tune is added, the combination will show a noticeable increase in fuel economy and driving enjoyment. Especially if you have the rally tcm tune. Flip that into tow/haul mode and go do a run up the canyon. Totally different truck.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm very biased as I hate jimmy and his antics but his tune should not lower mpg. There is something else going on, maybe it went into regen, sft tune has some logic disabled or shut off that effects regen during some conditions. Its really hard to say without the exact driving conditions. Just give it time and observe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am stock but after the AEM flash I lost 1.5mpg on the next tank. It has gone back to pre flash mpg levels now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
after you clear 500 miles post transmission tune then do a test over 2-3 tanks of fuel. Use hand calculations, and I bet you're pleasantly surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts