RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Software Update and FCA

27K views 114 replies 45 participants last post by  JD76 
#1 ·
Soooo, just like everyone else has stated, this update is unsafe and sucks ass. I have complained to FCA and they say take it back to the dealership. Call dealership, make another appointment for what, for them to tell me we checked everything and nothing is wrong.

Hate lawsuits but this shit is getting ridiculous. Truck feels like I have a Prius! Minivan I had for a rental had more get up than this!

What will FCA do about this? Need more complaints? They flap jacked lied and said it would have no affect, but the throttle response is terrible and MPGs are about 2-3 less.

Need the deadline for first owners to be over so I can order the GDE. Is there anyway that the tune can be a tax write off since I use my truck for work?

#4 ·
Well, nothing wrong of course.

Their response, “you need to drive the truck a 100 miles or more, the truck needs to learn the way you drive again.” I said, excuse me? Let her try to explain then I left. I had driven over 300 throughout the week.

Thought I heard them all, but nope!

#5 ·
I don't want to get into an argument about how your truck is performing now compared to before the AEM update. My point is that your comment "just like everyone else has stated......" is not a correct characterization of the facts. While many have complained many others do not see a change or see an improvement. There seems to be a binary outcome of 'it is crap" or "no significant change except holding gears a bit longer onthe upshift." How the perception of the results can be so different is puzzling. Perhaps the key is the word 'perception" since I don't recall seeing any before and after actual performance measurements.

All the best,

#15 ·
Nothing to argue about, just the truck is not the same at all. There aren’t too many threads on here with people saying it hasn’t changed at all. I haven’t towed anything with it yet so haven’t seen how it effects the truck in that regard.

What improvements have people seen? Are there different versions of the re-flash?

#6 ·
I too am having serious lag in acceleration until the engine is up to temp. My service adviser told me they know about the problem and had another ED in their shop troubleshooting the issue. No sense in me leaving mine there too. I opened a STAR case so at least my issues are on the record. I live in Cali, so will be trying the pedal commander. I'm relatively happy with how the truck drives once all the levels are up.

#13 ·
if the $3075 is not driving you bananas ,
I would definitely wait for the developments on this "hit and miss AEM update ".
at least ask your dealer's diesel tech , if he did many AEM , and he Aced them all ,,,,, if he can be trusted .
----------------------

#8 ·
FCA just went through an expensive law suit that resulted in the crappy neutering AEM tune. My bet is they have washed their hands and are moving on. Thankfully, there are aftermarket solutions to the problem. So, get the AEM, the extended warranty, and the $3075. Take some of that money and obtain Pedal Commander or GDE, lag problem solved.

For those in California who are prohibited from seeking aftermarket solutions, I recommend to not get the AEM at all.

#9 ·
Californians can't "not get the AEM". California is requiring proof of the AEM before they will re-register the vehicle.
We do have the option of SFT's tunes which I have found to be the perfect solution.

Reactions: SanDiegoED
#16 ·
I had my software update about 2000 miles ago. Since then I drove a 1200 mile trip and other than when the engine is still warming up, below 175 F, I have noticed a slight difference in shifting but not acceleration. To resolve what I call a
slower or sluggish shift in the lower gears, I set the tow/haul option and that gets me up to speed with a little more boost. I'm anxious to see if long term my fuel economy changes. Can't tell from the long trip as I had 2 Kayaks creating a little wind drag.
Will update on my next long trip which will be in about 2 weeks.

#18 ·
Hello, I contacted FCA today and informed of the slow acceleration issue. At first I did not notice a big difference but after driving for three weeks it is definitely very different and a safety concern. Below is the response I received with the email I sent.

Hello,

I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. Please contact the dealer to make an appointment for diagnosis.

Kind Regards,

LaTreece
Claims Processor

Hello,
I am seeking advice and do not know who to contact at FCA. Upon completion of the AEM software update I have noticed a fairly significant issue with acceleration from a complete stop. The vehicle starts to move slowly but the engine can take 1 - 3 seconds to recognize the pedal is depressed if attempting to accelerate quicker. It is even noticed upon slow or average acceleration but less evident. It seems to be more pronounced when the engine is cold and improves once warmed up. Many others have noticed the same issue and posted complaints on different forums. I personally feel this software update created a safety concern for those owners as it changed the performance. This issue can lead the driver to enter traffic without proper acceleration response associated prior to the update. I have personally changed my driving habits but feel FCA should receive this feedback.
How should I formally inform FCA of this feedback.
Have you received other similar feedback?

#20 ·
Same thing here. Took the truck back to the dealer (as the Rep. at FCA Chrysler suggested) and had a service tech drive the truck. He admitted openly that yes, there is a definite throttle lag in response to the pedal position. A lot of good it did as he wrote on the service work report - "TEST DROVE WITH CUSTOMER. ALSO TEST DROVE TWO OTHER ECODIESELS AND HAVE SAME RESPONSE ON THROTTLE. NO ABNORMAL OPERATION AT THIS TIME", CANNOT START STAR CASE UNLESS ABNORMAL OPERATION CAN BE DUPLICATED".
What a lying , two-faced, back-stabbing piece of s _ _ t! Don't tell me they don't know this is an issue. I believe corporate has told all dealerships to ignore this and admit no wrong in the hopes we will give up. I encourage everyone to contact this attorney once you have your settlement check and are having an issue with the new software.

Wilson M. Dunlavey
Attorney at Law
wdunlavey@lchb.com
t 415.956.1000 ext. 2215
f 415.956.1008

#105 ·
Same thing here. Took the truck back to the dealer (as the Rep. at FCA Chrysler suggested) and had a service tech drive the truck. He admitted openly that yes, there is a definite throttle lag in response to the pedal position. A lot of good it did as he wrote on the service work report - "TEST DROVE WITH CUSTOMER. ALSO TEST DROVE TWO OTHER ECODIESELS AND HAVE SAME RESPONSE ON THROTTLE. NO ABNORMAL OPERATION AT THIS TIME", CANNOT START STAR CASE UNLESS ABNORMAL OPERATION CAN BE DUPLICATED".
What a lying , two-faced, back-stabbing piece of s _ _ t! Don't tell me they don't know this is an issue. I believe corporate has told all dealerships to ignore this and admit no wrong in the hopes we will give up. I encourage everyone to contact this attorney once you have your settlement check and are having an issue with the new software.

Wilson M. Dunlavey
Attorney at Law
wdunlavey@lchb.com
t 415.956.1000 ext. 2215
f 415.956.1008

I currently own a 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Limited 4X4. I recently purchased this vehicle le in September of last year (2020). I qm the second owner of this vehicle le. I am also having the same issues with it that you guys are having. I recieved a letter in the mail about a lawsuit with the ecodiesel community, and I decided to file a complaint. I later found out that the woman I talked to on the phone informed me that the person who owned the vehicle before me has already filed a complaint a couple of months back before I bought it. I do not know what I should do from here. I have almost been T-Boned about 5 times and rear-ended. If anybody has any ideas to fix this, or anything at all. It would be much appreciated. I know I will not be buying a Ram product again, nor will I be buying a "Eco-dipshit" from Ram, Ford or GM again.

#24 ·
Definitely suffered mpgs, was at 23.4, when it is usually at 25.5mpg and still at half tank. I’m below half tank.

As stated from others above, called FCA, told me to take it back to the Dealership, dealership says everything is fine/normal.

I guess I will reach out to the person above and state my case. Definitely need the GDE tune now, not sure I receive my check til October though, sucks.

#26 ·
I noticed in another post that Lieff, Cabraser doesn't care about us and they are in it just for the money. The first part is not true. They WANT to know about the problems we are having with the crappy performance and the delays with the claim processing/checks. I talked to one of the attorneys there for 45 minutes last week.They are in touch with FCA counsel and the DOJ. If we are having problems, they will go to bat for us....they will make more $$...at FCA's expense, but it will help expedite some type of resolution for us all. Please give them a call....the more info they have on problems, the more pressure they can put on FCA to make the DOJ put the hammer down on them. I just want this done and over and everyone's involvement will help. I'm not giving up on FCA misrepresenting the emissions when they originally sold these and I'm not going to sit back and say that the BS 'fix' ok and let it go. The vehicle I have now is not the one I purchased. Thanks,

#28 ·
I hope you're expectations come to fruition.
I also hope that the second fix (if there is a 2nd) isn't worse than the first fix.
IMHO attorneys can talk for 45 minutes, saying nothing, promising everything.
The last hope is that the attorneys are successful in our favor.
Cheers!

Reactions: Lovely
#38 ·
Dealership I am dealing with is incompetent as all hell. Had to call FCA to call on my behalf, seems they have had the part at the dealership. Call them to set up an appointment, says they can’t fix it until August 12th and that they won’t give me a rental. Had to tell them to go check again! ****ers haven’t even submitted my AEM software update yet and I did it 5 weeks ago!

#41 ·
Mine is scheduled for Wednesday 7/31. Wish me luck afterwards since I have a ‘15. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.