RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told there is new software updates for the 3.0 and the trucks coming of the line will have the new software. Anybody know anything about this new software?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I really don't know what to think. You're update says its for the key fob. I was told on another website that there is a software update for fuel injection timing. Looks like I might have to go back to the other website and clarify what this guy was talking about. Although all the guy is a very reputable poster on the other site.

I'll try to do some more research and see what the update is for.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Likely both are needed by different trucks. Key fob update seems to predate the current software update. As RAM produces, what, 30 - 40 trucks a day, updates are often happening in real time. Meaning somewhere in their possession is Truck 1 getting an update prior to being delivered. The truck prior, we'll call it truck 0, is already being delivered, so gets the update via the dealer. In the key fob example, RAM issues a voluntary recall.

They do not have to issue a recall, nor do they have to call it as such. In this case, the issue was big enough to warrant the label, outreach and actions.

My own truck has been in QA for a week now. Thus it is possibly waiting for a software update, or might now have it and is waiting on other trucks to clear the way for delivery.

But heck, my truck might be held up due to a paint issue, or it even could have cooties. Bottom line though is it can easily be a case of one issue holding things up, but it can also be multiple issues at the same having an effect.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had my truck in Monday for the key fob recall. They also installed another update but not sure what it was. Will look at the paperwork but there were two separate updates

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can confirm. My Truck has been in QA for 2 items. 1) Thermostat Check. 2) Software Flash for Keyless Fob.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had my truck in Monday for the key fob recall. They also installed another update but not sure what it was. Will look at the paperwork but there were two separate updates
Yup, you are right, two different updates I was told. 1 for key fob, the other was injection timeing or so they thought.

Was just checking to see if others know any thing about it being injection timeing. I hope it' not what chrsler did to the heavy duty cummins trucks back in 03, 04 and then changed the timing in 05 which gave the 05 and newer trucks worse mpg then the 03 and 04 models.

I'll keep digging around and if in the mean time you come across some info let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a recall, which means they have to notify people. It's a update which means it's not a big problem at this point and they will just install the update when ever your vehicle is in for service. Most times people bring their vehicl in for service they don't even know they got an update in the software or firmware.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It's not a recall, which means they have to notify people. It's a update which means it's not a big problem at this point and they will just install the update when ever your vehicle is in for service. Most times people bring their vehicl in for service they don't even know they got an update in the software or firmware.
Then they clearly don't own a VW...LOL

Our dealer likes to explain everything down to the extra minutes the tech spent installing the rear taillight bulb that seems to burn out once a year, we don't notice it, AND it burns out right AFTER we drop off the car...LOL How do I know? Well, I follow my wife down in the other car to drop the VW in for service - kinda hard to miss a burnt out brake light when you're behind it in city traffic... :)

In fairness, my dealer is awesome, and they don't replace bulbs anymore...after I mentioned the odd timing of the last bulb burn out... ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's fun stuff right there I tell yah.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't think the current holds are key fob. The letter above says trucks assembled before 4/4. My truck was built 5/5 and has been stuck in QA build status. My understanding was 3.0 engine related, requiring a reprogram. I'm just glad it is Ram reprogramming and not the dealer (or not updating at all). Must be significant enough to hold work-in-progress inventory, tying up cash. The forumz member giving the updates works for Chrysler.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Look for RRT's, not recalls. Ram does this for updates that are not critical. If a bunch of trucks came off the line with no grease on the slide rails of the passenger seat and they are squeaking, Ram will issue an RRT and on your next visit to the dealer the dealer will check to see that it is completed. Unless you bring it in and complain about it sooner.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Don't think the current holds are key fob. The letter above says trucks assembled before 4/4. My truck was built 5/5 and has been stuck in QA build status. My understanding was 3.0 engine related, requiring a reprogram. I'm just glad it is Ram reprogramming and not the dealer (or not updating at all). Must be significant enough to hold work-in-progress inventory, tying up cash. The forumz member giving the updates works for Chrysler.
This is my understanding, too. SPP confirmed mine was either the key fob recode or the 3.0 software reflash. Reading today, the key fob recall, according to Chrysler's notice, was extended to trucks produced up to April 11th.

Mine was built May 6/7, so I'm assuming it's the engine software reflash that has had the truck stationary for over a week now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My software was updated the other day. Dealer called me at work and said the computer fried. 7 to 10 day wait for the new one. Not happy...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts