RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Ecodiesel - AEM - Stage 1 - no reluctor wheel recall available - 180,919 miles - 3.92 - 4x4

I went out this morning and tried to start my truck. It cranks but won't fire. I'm assuming maybe the crankshaft sensor is good, but the reluctor wheel has tanked...but I really don't know.

I tried using Torque App and Alpha OBD and neither pull a code.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When you get in the truck, turn the ignition to on (but not to start) and listen carefully for the lift pump to prime. If you cant hear it run for about 20 seconds.......the pump is done.
it's not priming. I started the process of taking the bed off the truck last night but I've really only had 30 minutes to work on it...found/loosened 6 bolts, removed/unplugged the taillights, removed screws behind fuel cap...

I just bought a used fuel pump with a lifetime warranty lol. It should be here Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
it's not priming. I started the process of taking the bed off the truck last night but I've really only had 30 minutes to work on it...found/loosened 6 bolts, removed/unplugged the taillights, removed screws behind fuel cap...

I just bought a used fuel pump with a lifetime warranty lol. It should be here Thursday or Friday.
I have read removing the bed will only get you 1/2 access to pull the pump. Saw a picture months ago on the forum. I believe you still need to lower the tank!!!!

ps.... I wouldnt put in a used lift pump. I suggest buying one new from Mopar.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have read removing the bed will only get you 1/2 access to pull the pump. Saw a picture months ago on the forum. I believe you still need to lower the tank!!!!

I can confirm this is a bad idea. I got the bed moved back and half the pump is still under the cab. FML

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I can confirm this is a bad idea. I got the bed moved back and half the pump is still under the cab. FML
Ouch....sorry to hear this. Obviously it may make a difference between a crew cab/fullcab and extended cab or whatever the frig they call them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monitor things like rail pressure, crank signal not the tach it reads cam signal, etc something well point you in a direction.
I think your lift pump crapped out.
It was indeed the fuel pump (lift pump) - 5,459 hours/180,919 miles on original fuel pump

replaced fuel pump, primed, and it fired back up. #win

I don't know how I ended up with two threads...

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,141 Posts
Man I dont know how much a new one is, but if it fails and takes out the HPFP with it, you are going to regret that! Big $$$

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
I’m not affected lol.
I meant this part "I'm pretty sure you're full of bull Rob. My 2016 Ram is sitting in my driveway and won't start. At this point I'm 99% sure it's the reluctor wheel. And my truck is not in the recall." Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts