RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. I bought my '17 ED a little less than a month ago with about 36k miles on it (traded in my '18 Chevy Colorado Duramax). So far, I love it. However, a week or two after purchasing it, I began to hear a weird little high-pitched whistling noise when I shift it from drive into park, or from park into reverse. It lasts just a split second, and everything seems to be shifting normally. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that, and if so, is there anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: This noise is intermittent, but frequent. It doesn't happen every time, but often.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,389 Posts
Hi, all. I bought my '17 ED a little less than a month ago with about 36k miles on it (traded in my '18 Chevy Colorado Duramax). So far, I love it. However, a week or two after purchasing it, I began to hear a weird little high-pitched whistling noise when I shift it from drive into park, or from park into reverse. It lasts just a split second, and everything seems to be shifting normally. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that, and if so, is there anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: This noise is intermittent, but frequent. It doesn't happen every time, but often.
Probably the "Hill Start Assist".

This is like a little brake, that keeps your truck from rolling backwards when going from stopped to applying throttle. Both my last truck, the 2017 Ecodiesel, and my current ride, a 2021 2500 CTD, both will make a little short "squawk" when going from a stop to go when the little brake/clutch lets go. Not always, but now and then. Not being in a hurry seems to keep the noise away.

This Hill Start Assist can be turned off in your settings.

Welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is like a little brake, that keeps your truck from rolling backwards when going from stopped to applying throttle. Both my last truck, the 2017 Ecodiesel, and my current ride, a 2021 2500 CTD, both will make a little short "squawk" when going from a stop to go when the little brake/clutch lets go. Not always, but now and then. Not being in a hurry seems to keep the noise away.

Welcome!
That makes sense. It seems to make that little squeaking sound only when I rapidly go from Drive to Park, or Park to Reverse. Thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,299 Posts

The Hill Start Assist actually holds in your brakes for a briefly or until you press the accelerator. You have to be on an incline to where the truck will roll backwards like a boat ramp for it to apply. I've never noticed any noise with the HSA on or off.

I would check the the drive-line for any slop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Hill Start Assist actually holds in your brakes for a briefly or until you press the accelerator. You have to be on an incline to where the truck will roll backwards like a boat ramp for it to apply. I've never noticed any noise with the HSA on or off.

The noise is definitely coming from the control knob on the dash. It's an electronic noise, not mechanical.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,299 Posts
The noise is definitely coming from the control knob on the dash. It's an electronic noise, not mechanical.
Does this happen when you apply or release the brake pedal? Or while shifting?
Either way you can swap out the shifter, it just plugs in. Just make sure the truck is asleep before unplugging the shifter.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The Hill Start Assist actually holds in your brakes for a briefly or until you press the accelerator. You have to be on an incline to where the truck will roll backwards like a boat ramp for it to apply. I've never noticed a

Well that would explain why it sounds like a brake, thanks. It only happens when I do the jump in a hot truck, start it, and slam it into gear all in about 1-2 seconds and not giving things time to work correctly.

I remember reading about the HSA when I bought the Ecodiesel, I'll admit at first I was like "Huh? A what?". Lol, I though it had something to do with push starting the truck, hahahahahah....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay, so I think I figured out the issue, or at least, what's actually making the noise (although not necessarily why it's doing it). I was trying to isolate the noise as I was parked and listen more closely. It was making the usual high-pitched squeak when I put it into P or R. The radio was on, so I muted it. The noise disappeared. I unmuted it. The noise reappeared. I put my head down closer to the dash. The noise is coming from the radio! I was listening to an AM station, so I experimented. It does not do that on FM or XM--only AM. So, obviously the electronic gear selector puts out some sort of signal or interference that is picked up on AM stations (or at least, certain AM stations). Weird, but definitely not anything to concern me.

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Very good and interesting observation!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Okay, so I think I figured out the issue, or at least, what's actually making the noise (although not necessarily why it's doing it). I was trying to isolate the noise as I was parked and listen more closely. It was making the usual high-pitched squeak when I put it into P or R. The radio was on, so I muted it. The noise disappeared. I unmuted it. The noise reappeared. I put my head down closer to the dash. The noise is coming from the radio! I was listening to an AM station, so I experimented. It does not do that on FM or XM--only AM. So, obviously the electronic gear selector puts out some sort of signal or interference that is picked up on AM stations (or at least, certain AM stations). Weird, but definitely not anything to concern me.

Thanks for the input and suggestions!
Hi: mountainrev... I guess I don't hear it... cause I'm "Sirius" about my music!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mountainrev, off topic, why did you trade off the Colorado Duramax?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mountainrev, off topic, why did you trade off the Colorado Duramax?
I started looking into selling/trading my Colorado earlier this summer because I was getting written offers to buy from local dealers that were more than I paid for it 2 years and 30,000 miles ago. It’s a crazy truck market right now, as we all know.

The Colorado is really more suited for trails and off-road than towing on cross country road trips, IMO, and that’s what we do. It was up to the task of towing our 22’ travel trailer, but only marginally, and just not that comfortable.

The Ram 1500 I got is SO much more comfortable. Much better interior. Much better ride. Much more room. It was better optioned, had fewer miles, and cost me $3,000 out of pocket. So far I have zero regrets. I’m aware of the issues some Ecodiesels have, but some 2.8 Duramax engines also have issues. Time will tell if I continue to be happy with my purchase, but I’m really liking my Ram right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts