RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I had posted about this on my new 2021 2500 Cummins, I noted the automatic regen had started, my DPF gauge showed about 33% full. And it took twice the miles to get it cleared out than my Ecodiesel did at 80% full.

So I left the DPF gauge on full time for a time, to get a sense of what's going on. As we do quite a bit of short drives around town, within a week, I was back to a third full, and the auto regen starts up at the same 33.3 %. This time I hit the freeway and at 65 mph, the regen finished quicker, but still longer then the Ecodiesel ever took.

This weekend we hooked up the RV TT and went to Seward Alaska, it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive at 55-65 mph. And I had about ten percent on the DPF gauge.

Within 20 miles of towing our smallish RV, call it 5,000 lbs, the passive regen cleared out what was on the DPF. And I thought this was wonderful. My Ecodiesel would never passive regen. It was tuned, and I got good mileage and power from it, but every 450-500 miles, it would do a regen. It did not matter if I was towing or not. I used a OBD2 device to watch the exhaust temps on the Ecodiesel towing, it would not get quite hot enough.

Those Cummins Regens really suck some fuel, and it 's nice to know that this Cummins 6.7 TD engine, even with a modest load, will keep the DPF clean passively. I hand calculated our trip at 12.6 mpg. There are many steep grades on the way and it's always windy down that way, the Ecodiesel maybe got 1 mpg better on these mountainous roads. But on the long miles driving out of Alaska, this will be a boon for mileage.

I am still amazed that I can tow a 5000 lb load, up a 7% grade, and it will stay in 6th gear at 65 mph, such power and torque. We enjoy driving it.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
Towing uses fuel. Simple as that. I pull my toy hauler and never get a regeneration. Running and pulling is all it needs.

Been towing tractor slow at my place in Georgia all week. Did watch that gauge. There was a little and after towing just 30 miles with the tractor, gone.

No regenerations towing.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
196 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had posted about this on my new 2021 2500 Cummins, I noted the automatic regen had started, my DPF gauge showed about 33% full. And it took twice the miles to get it cleared out than my Ecodiesel did at 80% full.

So I left the DPF gauge on full time for a time, to get a sense of what's going on. As we do quite a bit of short drives around town, within a week, I was back to a third full, and the auto regen starts up at the same 33.3 %. This time I hit the freeway and at 65 mph, the regen finished quicker, but still longer then the Ecodiesel ever took.

This weekend we hooked up the RV TT and went to Seward Alaska, it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive at 55-65 mph. And I had about ten percent on the DPF gauge.

Within 20 miles of towing our smallish RV, call it 5,000 lbs, the passive regen cleared out what was on the DPF. And I thought this was wonderful. My Ecodiesel would never passive regen. It was tuned, and I got good mileage and power from it, but every 450-500 miles, it would do a regen. It did not matter if I was towing or not. I used a OBD2 device to watch the exhaust temps on the Ecodiesel towing, it would not get quite hot enough.

Those Cummins Regens really suck some fuel, and it 's nice to know that this Cummins 6.7 TD engine, even with a modest load, will keep the DPF clean passively. I hand calculated our trip at 12.6 mpg. There are many steep grades on the way and it's always windy down that way, the Ecodiesel maybe got 1 mpg better on these mountainous roads. But on the long miles driving out of Alaska, this will be a boon for mileage.

I am still amazed that I can tow a 5000 lb load, up a 7% grade, and it will stay in 6th gear at 65 mph, such power and torque. We enjoy driving it.
Sourdo,

I LOVE the 2500. We camped last week in the Santa Cruz mountains, CA.We hit a few hills and 2 heavy grades. The power-it has going upgrades is amazing. My wife even said to me as we were going up hill. “Wow sometimes I forget it’s back there” I was going up a 7% grade at 65mph. I’ve never noticed my dpf filter go up. It’s always been 0%. I will have to monitor it full time. PS I will never go back to a 1500.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I like that dpf guage, wish my 2017 had it. Like I have stated, I never knew once in 100,000km when it was doing a regen.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
From what I've read on various forums, the guys that are tracking regens by hours say their 2019+ trucks are regening every 24 hours. That's cumulative hours of idling, towing, or empty, makes no difference, every 24 clocked hours it will regen. I'm tracking my hours now as well.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
From what I've read on various forums, the guys that are tracking regens by hours say their 2019+ trucks are regening every 24 hours. That's cumulative hours of idling, towing, or empty, makes no difference, every 24 clocked hours it will regen. I'm tracking my hours now as well.
Never read that.

Been away working tractor doing food plots in Georgia. Never see or small a regen running like this. Now at home and not towing, I think they come on way more frequently than 24 hours of operation. Not really sure though. Hard to spot if not watching on that screen or noticing the fuel mileage drop.

Would be nice to know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ve been watching mine carefully and the regens will clear easily during mixed driving. On average a couple 8 mile trips to drop the kids off cleans it out. Pretty happy with how unobtrusive it is.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Never read that.

Been away working tractor doing food plots in Georgia. Never see or small a regen running like this. Now at home and not towing, I think they come on way more frequently than 24 hours of operation. Not really sure though. Hard to spot if not watching on that screen or noticing the fuel mileage drop.

Would be nice to know.
I'll soon know. Heading to eastern Oregon for trout fishing Saturday. The truck has 117 hours, so in 8 more hours it will either regen or the 24 hour theory is bunk.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll soon know. Heading to eastern Oregon for trout fishing Saturday. The truck has 117 hours, so in 8 more hours it will either regen or the 24 hour theory is bunk.
I look forward to your investigation!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Kenai Peninsula makes a good destination for scenery, camping and fishing.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
The Kenai Peninsula makes a good destination for scenery, camping and fishing.
Only issue there is when tourists go, it is crowded.

Just returned home 400 miles. No regenerations. Total almost exactly 1000 miles. Never saw a single regeneration.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Just returned home 400 miles. No regenerations. Total almost exactly 1000 miles. Never saw a single regeneration.
What setting are you on. I assume it’s the DPF %?

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
What setting are you on. I assume it’s the DPF %?
Thought that was the only one available.

Most of the time that gauge is empty. Then there are times I see maybe 15-40% as it does fill in that semi-circular band. Then, when there is an ongoing regeneration, the band is not available. What you see on that page is a message telling you there is a regeneration going on.

When that message is over things are back on zero. I have never seen it above 1/2 way.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

OMG don't remind me, the borders will open the floodgates next year.

I about got in a fist fight this summer trying to explain to this idiot that I cannot swing my fly rod with someone standing 5 feet away.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A person within 100 feet of me handling a fly rod would not be safe. I don't feel safe when I'm the one swinging it. :)
I am more in the 4”-6” range. On a warm sunny good day. When swinging my fly rod. 😂

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A person within 100 feet of me handling a fly rod would not be safe. I don't feel safe when I'm the one swinging it. :)
Its not fly fishing like "A River Runs Through It", lol. People use spin tackle all the time too. You use a 1/4 oz weight, 4-5 feet of 30 lb leader, and this part will get you a ticket, you can only use flies with hooks no bigger then 3/8 ths of an inch. It's a fast current, only 9-10 feet of line is needed. You "flip" the fly out there over and over, with enough weight to just kiss the rocks. Over and over and over, like 3-4 times a minute for hours, after some time, I fish and day dream, yak to your neighbor, smoke a cig, usually when I'm least paying attention, BAMM. Bring lots of gear, the rocks eat 'em up.

These sockeyes will hit these flies aggressively. With the fast current, it's a spot on good show.

But with a 9 foot fly rod (they are just more comfortable), you still need some room. I've seen it so packed, everyone has to cast at the same time, like some weird choreographed show, it only needed carnival music to go along with it. That's when it's time for me to leave, for years until there is a world wide pandemic! Last year you could fish with 50 feet between people, it was epic, I'll probably never see it like that again.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
My rides to and around Alaska were in Summer. One totally on motorcycle.

Sometimes finding a secluded place to fish also found swarms of biting bugs. It is a rewarding place if you are tough enough to take it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This time I noticed the DPF gauge said about 40% or more when the last Regen started, so the 1/3 full idea is gone. I had noted it started straight up at 6400 miles even on the odometer.

We drove to Sportsman's Warehouse, shut off the truck, it was down to 10-12%. The Regen fired right back up leaving the store, and we went home. The next day, the gauge said zero, but the REgen started anyway, but only for a couple of miles and was done.

I checked the odometer, only 16 miles to clear out the DPF to zero. So, while doing an automatic regen, I gathered it will keep at it until it's done, even till the next day.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts