RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
No Sportsman's Warehouse in Florida that I know of. Wish I could drive to one and look around. What I see about them on the internet looks good.

Oh - this is a truck forum. Well I say the DPF gauge is full of it. Maybe should say "empty of common sense". Try fraudulent. Maybe flighty? I would count on it for nothing.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
192 Posts
This time I noticed the DPF gauge said about 40% or more when the last Regen started, so the 1/3 full idea is gone. I had noted it started straight up at 6400 miles even on the odometer.

We drove to Sportsman's Warehouse, shut off the truck, it was down to 10-12%. The Regen fired right back up leaving the store, and we went home. The next day, the gauge said zero, but the REgen started anyway, but only for a couple of miles and was done.

I checked the odometer, only 16 miles to clear out the DPF to zero. So, while doing an automatic regen, I gathered it will keep at it until it's done, even till the next day.
Do you get a message when a regen is happening? Or how do you check it? Not once have I received or noticed my truck regening.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Yes. You will get a message but you can only see that message if you happen to have the DPF screen activated. If not and have the instant fuel mileage showing, you could notice poor fuel economy.

Another way is to have an aftermarket gauge hooked up that shows DPF status. Edge is but one example of one you could get to show you that.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes. You will get a message but you can only see that message if you happen to have the DPF screen activated. If not and have the instant fuel mileage showing, you could notice poor fuel economy.

Another way is to have an aftermarket gauge hooked up that shows DPF status. Edge is but one example of one you could get to show you that.
Is this screen where it shows you the dpf filter
“0-100”?

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Not sure as I cannot find one of the many pictures I took and posted of it.

It is a semi-circular scale that "fills in" from "0" top maybe "100%". Just not sure. Mine has never shown me over about 30% and near always sits at ZERO. If you are on that screen and a regeneration starts it switches to a message saying a regeneration is going on.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Here...found a link to one of the pictures.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here...found a link to one of the pictures.

Thanks guys. I’ve driven around with that screen on for a few hundred miles now, and it always reads “0”. Not sure if that’s correct or I missed it while it was happening. I’ll keep a closer eye on it.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
It will come on eventually with that message. Only thing is having that stupid screen on all the time takes away truck information that is far more important than that regen.

If you see it is on, so what? There is little to no adaptation you must do with your driving, stopping or parking. Other than a bit of a smell if you stop, lower fuel mileage is about all that really happens of any significance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It will come on eventually with that message. Only thing is having that stupid screen on all the time takes away truck information that is far more important than that regen.

If you see it is on, so what? There is little to no adaptation you must do with your driving, stopping or parking. Other than a bit of a smell if you stop, lower fuel mileage is about all that really happens of any significance.
Capt. I agree. I just wanted to see how often the truck is going thru the cycle, otherwise there’s really no benefit of me knowing.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I took my brother to the airport yesterday, it's 100 miles round trip at mostly 65 mph.

The DPF gauge was just over 25% starting out. I wanted to know if freeway driving, while empty had any passive regeneration going on.

The answer is yes it does.

It was below the 25% line after the 100 mile drive. Not a lot, but any is better then none.

A most excellent motor this Cummins 6.7.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Now wondering if that is right IF you were just using the factory gauge.

Mine is mostly on ZERO or showing no reading. When I have seen it up it is most often 25% or so. Then it either stays there closely or does vary +-just a little. Then I look at it sometime later with no knowledge of it ever having a regeneration and it is a zero again. Never have I seen it above say 30% if it showed anything. Never saw it at full or near full. Can't see it during a regeneration as there is a message that a regeneration is going on

I believe that those having an Edge or some other aftermarket readout can monitor and even induce a regeneration with full knowledge of the condition of the DPF. Without something like that I do not think what we see is relevant.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Now wondering if that is right IF you were just using the factory gauge.

Mine is mostly on ZERO or showing no reading. When I have seen it up it is most often 25% or so. Then it either stays there closely or does vary +-just a little. Then I look at it sometime later with no knowledge of it ever having a regeneration and it is a zero again. Never have I seen it above say 30% if it showed anything. Never saw it at full or near full. Can't see it during a regeneration as there is a message that a regeneration is going on

I believe that those having an Edge or some other aftermarket readout can monitor and even induce a regeneration with full knowledge of the condition of the DPF. Without something like that I do not think what we see is relevant.
I agree, if you aren't' watching the gauge, you probably wont' know it's in a regen.

But I learned enough about the system to say it works well.

-When towing passive regen works, and quickly.
-An empty truck at freeway speeds will passive regen
-the automatic regen seems to click on around 30-40% full DPF, though that could be from the hour meter, idk. That it happens in the background is nice.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'll soon know. Heading to eastern Oregon for trout fishing Saturday. The truck has 117 hours, so in 8 more hours it will either regen or the 24 hour theory is bunk.
I'm now a believer in the hours theory. I have since read where it is believed the truck regens at a full DPF or 24 hours, whichever comes first. And the 24 hour mark usually comes first.

On my Oregon trip of all freeway and 65-80 mph, my 2020 3500 HO regened at the 123 hours mark. A true 24 hour interval would have been at 120 hours.

I monitor with an Edge CTS3 and it was interesting to see the %soot level go down due to passive regens. I've never seen that with my 2016 Ecodiesel.
IMO this truck handles the emissions crap very well.

Note to the Capt,
The CTS2 could initiate a regen, the CTS3 cannot.

By the way, with the stock tune my truck would defuel at 102 mph. With my Calibrated tunes it was still wanting to go faster when I backed off at 117 mph.
Was passing a string of semis and ran out of passing lane so had to back off.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree, if you aren't' watching the gauge, you probably wont' know it's in a regen.

But I learned enough about the system to say it works well.

-When towing passive regen works, and quickly.
-An empty truck at freeway speeds will passive regen
-the automatic regen seems to click on around 30-40% full DPF, though that could be from the hour meter, idk. That it happens in the background is nice.
Sourdo,
I agree with all you said and have experienced the same. On your last point, I think it's related to % soot.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Heading out for 10 days hunting in Georgia. Will turn on that gauge and leave it on to watch for any changes.

CTS3 eh? Something to think about. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
400 miles today. DPG read zero at start. 10 miles to interstate and it moved to maybe 15%. Few miles later and back to zero. Never moved after that.

Pulling trailer and Harley 75-80 mph for 300 interstate miles. Lousy 16 mpg.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know this might sound unbelievable. But I have been looking at my pdf gauge work about 6-8 weeks now. And it always reads 0 not sure what to make of it. This is combined city and highway miles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know this might sound unbelievable. But I have been looking at my pdf gauge work about 6-8 weeks now. And it always reads 0 not sure what to make of it. This is combined city and highway miles.
Anyone want to take a shot at what’s going on here?

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Sure… The thing is either not connected or flat out does not work.

• Haha
21 - 40 of 42 Posts