RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an update for the HD owners. Like most of North America, it has been frigidly cold. My wife has been daily driving our 3500 and recently ran into some issues. It has been regularly -30C and we plug in about 2 hours prior to start and allow anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes of warm up before slowly driving off. The poor truck has been running like it has solid engine mounts. Heavy shake on start up and shutdown as well as heavy vibrations while running. 2 weeks ago it was extremely bad and threw a P0301, which is cylinder 1 misfire detected. It cleared and has not returned. In efforts to narrow down the issue, I pulled fuel, which was not cloudy and looked just fine. No snow/ice buildup either. Got it into a warm garage for a few hours and it was back to its self and been fine for days. Poor girl just needed a warm up. Thankfully our weather is slowly warming and we wont be seeing much more -30.

Now another issue I have to contend with: Body mounts. There had been a TSB out for the previous years where the body mounts were either defective or not torqued to spec. I was getting a clunk from the chassis that was very irregular. I suspected tie rod ends and swaybar end links as the usual but everything was solid as it was new. The clunk presented itself when you really twisted the chassis, wheels turned and accelerating around a corner or turning sharp up or down a hill and also quickly taking off from a stop without wheelspin. The clunk is felt directly under the driver and passenger. So I found some updated body mounts that I might swap out this spring.

Lots of fun for a truck that only has 65,000km.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is an updated B pillar body mount according to the dealer parts dept. 68090735AB. Dealer asks 55$ before tax and Rockauto wants 35$. Once the weather warms, I will be trying the new mounts.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,412 Posts
You might want to give the block heater a couple more hours to warm the engine. That's a lot of cast iron to get warm. Get a WiFi Smart Switch so you can either program it when to come on or just remotely turn it on/off. The CTD block heater draw 700 watts(about 6 amps), most smart switches can handle 1500 watts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We try to plug in well in advance but sht happens. I have a couple mechanical timers I need to dig out. I also spent about twenty minutes breaking ice from the chassis. Down pipe, dpf and transmission mounts were nearly encapsulated by ice. Took out a few pounds. Never had a vehicle ice up this bad that was never buried in snow in all my time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. I have not had the chassis clunk reappear now that it is sub winter, almost spring here. I have bombed over a few uneven bumps to torque the chassis but all is well. The misfire has not returned either. Appears to be the fun of operating vehicles in such a cold and hostile wasteland.

My wife is still daily driving it but we take it out for a burn now and then to really stretch its legs. Still love that torque!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time to resurrect this thread for a bit. This past Saturday the family and I were out for a road trip, just fueled up and upon restart, the truck was surging lightly, shut it off and then it ran fine for a few km. Get out on the highway and the thing shakes like the wheels lost all balance over washboards. It continues surging and I find out the P0301 is back. I bring it to the dealer today and they manage to get it into the bay a day early. Get a few phone calls later in the day from them, asking some clarifying questions on if its possible there is still summer blend in the tank and then fuel filter change intervals. So we will see what they can figure out. At least they did not just shot gun parts at it but are starting with basic trouble shooting.

Its back in the bay tomorrow for more. Truck has 81,000km now and lots of warranty left. For this reason I am glad I have not deleted as the thought of 1000$ + for an injector does not appeal to me...

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
With little frigid experience in near two decades, the morning starts in the low 20*F range concerned me last week. I was at my place in Georgia and is sure got cold. The new '19 would be covered by frost and stupid cold to me.

First thing is there is no start when you try to start. It runs a bar scale telling you there is a pre-heat going on. You watch it count down and then it says you can begin the starting procedure again. Darn thing fired right up. Maybe four mornings were like that and each time, after that sequence, the start was near instant. No. Do not want to be in a situation where it is colder and find out more. No plug-in cord on mine. Georgia is a lose to misery I want to get.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,112 Posts
I learned no glow plugs. Grid heater. Mine had under 2k miles and first cold start at a hotel in Butt Mont. 2 degrees.

I remote started it from parking lot. I swear 1 cylinder caught after another. It wasn't pretty but worked. Sure made me smile though, its kinda crude but grows on ya.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the dealer has not been able to replicate the problem, I will leave it with them until next week as I cant get to the city until then.

I do not suspect fuel as it should give multiple cylinder misfires, I also drew fuel during the deep cold and it was not gelled or even cloudy. They treat the fuel really well up here, no need for any additives, plus it was above freezing when this last bout of problems occurred.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
Yeah - I hear that.

If you go on some Cummins forums the difference from here is evident. There's mostly performance and modifications talked about. Sure there may be some failures but not remotely what is talked about here. Actually, other forums are "dead" with little to talk about.

Found a failure today. Trying to wash the major packed mud from mine and noticed that the insulation piece under the hood slips out of the center tab. May just drill and put a simple screw through it and th tab to hold or try warranty if I ever go in for the longer tailgate cable on one side. I mean, it's good the problems are stupid.

Looked today also and with over 4K mileage the oil is full up and looks just a bit dark. It is not "ink" like a stock Ecoiesel with EGR is. Also, the engine compartment is mint clean after major mud splashes. Of course how bad? I actually have mud caked up INTO the exhaust pipe. Just washed the mess out.

Enjoy. I am towing a quad in minutes to go set up for a shoot tomorrow.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and picked my truck up yesterday. Couldn't replicate so they did the drag link recall and had an update for the ECM/PCM. They drew fuel and had it checked, which was fine.

They rolled the truck up for me and it was sounding a bit rough as it idled. High idle cleared it up a bit more. It was only -9C, so nothing crazy. It surged lightly as I drove off but nothing too bad. I hit the bypass and as I got up to 80km/h she began surging real bad. Not speed dependant but rpm. As it revved, it cleaned up but lower speed she shook bad.

I took it back and took a tech for a rip but by then it was running fine. I explained everything to him and left the vehicle for another round of treatment.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
BrianF... Apparently no codes, Did you try topping of your fuel tank ? Did it act the same ? A lift pump or fuel control actuator can act similar... Both components I mentioned can act up with no codes.. Good Luck and let us know your final outcome...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has done it while lower on fuel, say a bit over 1/4 tank. Last week we parked at the pump, fuelled up and it began misfiring at startup. Drove a block then shut it off. On restart it drove fine for a few miles.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
You have warranty Great not your problem to fix .... Diesels are all about proper fuel pressure,if pressures aren’t correct issues happen...

One of my diesels started having low fuel starting issues (1/4) tank and lower, this could have been several issues slightly clogged fuel filter, weak lift pump, bad fuel pickup .. A full tank of fuel helps hid the symptoms of a weak lift pump ..

I like to figure out exactly the problem if possible, so I ran it low until It acted up again , Replaced fuel filter it ran perfect, but I cut open the fuel filter and it visually looked clean,no water , but was almost a year old so it had use on it . I didn’t feel like this was the issue,even though it ran perfect..I ordered a lift pump for back up ...

Next issue occurred about about 2 months later the engine started knocking extremely loud , Basically a loud rod knock , I played with the accelerator and the knock disappeared , Great because a rod knock never disappears , This most likely means this is a fuel pressures or injector issue ..it has a mechanical pump and electric lift pump..

Back to the original issue trouble starting with low fuel tank, I installed the new lift pump and dumped a bottle of injector cleaner in the fuel tank .. Problem has been solved for 6 months not a single issue so far, no knocking or hard starting..

I wrote this long explanation because It seems this new generation of diesel mechanic’s have issues diagnosing issues unless they have a set code ..

Once in awhile a little old school mechanical trouble shooting helps out the new generation diesel mechanic, even though you have warranty, it’s still troublesome in your head until you are perfectly happy you have solved the issue..I’m still leaning towards your lift pump or possible Fuel pressure control actuator..

Again Diesels only run properly with proper fuel pressures, inadequate fuel pressure sends them for a loop...

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
Again Diesels only run properly with proper fuel pressures, inadequate fuel pressure sends them for a loop...
Boy I hear that.

For the second time in two years my old Ford tractor in Georgia went to NO fuel pressure. Pulled lines off each injector and saw nothing. Pulled all the lines and the same "nothing". This is not the first time I have had the ordeal ( it is timed on a key with the crank) of removing that creature. Sent back again for an expensive re-build, this is one diesel that has continually given me fits with fuel pressure, or the lack thereof.

Hope the issues can be identified and fixed on the 3500. So far, knock on wood, my 2019 Cummins starts cold, idles perfectly and does not even hint at doing anything bad.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! I got a call from the dealer today, they are ordering an injector, which is on backorder. Thinking 1 to 2 weeks.

Sounds like when they started it cold this morning the injector was misfiring and that apparently gave them enough to order the injector.

I suspected an injector or possibly the wiring as it was only ever on the number 1 injector. Poor fuel, gelling, that should set more than just one injector. It happened in warm -5C and colder -20 to -30C. Full tank, to 1/4. Could not be HP pump as there were no other injectors out or fuel pressure codes and mechanical issues would be consistant. Much like a rod knock, the misfire cleared up as the revs increased and even went away after a quick restart.

Anyway, my wife is pissed as we have to bum ride to the kids 4H equine groups. Just an old welfare case now.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a call this morning that the truck was done. My wife bummed a ride to Crimetown to pick it up. It was cold soaked at -21C but ran like an absolute top. I haven't viewed the work order but she says they replaced cylinder 1 injector along with cylinder 5. Not sure if that's a companion cylinder or what have you. It's possible it was dying but only cylinder 1 misfire was getting caught.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
BrianF... Apparently your truck didn’t throw any codes ? I believe you have an Edge unit? Do you know if you had any hidden codes only FCA could retrieve ? Congratulations on getting your truck fixed!!!!

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
Reads like you found a way to keep the wife happy.

Maybe I can break an injector and get mine fixed? Right now we have not had a refrigerator inside the main house since Thanksgiving. Big money failures - three times??? Well another new one just delivered and installed. Wife is happily bitching at it also. Maybe if I break the water injector and then fix it all will be well like your big Ram.

Glad they got it fixed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts