RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps this AEM is a blessing in disguise for owners who prefer to drive their truck like a bat out of hell before it's properly warmed up. I'm not saying it's necessary to not drive before 150 degrees, just sayin drive it properly until temps reach 150 degrees.

I remember saying something like this early on. Lol

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best information is the part about changing the engines warm up strategy to reduce SOOT to protect the MAIN BEARINGS ... Folks this is basically FCA acknowledging soot is the suspect in main bearing Failures.....
I never heard about soot being the problem :rolleyes: Nevermind I think that guy named Donny mentioned it once or twice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The best information is the part about changing the engines warm up strategy to reduce SOOT to protect the MAIN BEARINGS ... Folks this is basically FCA acknowledging soot is the suspect in main bearing Failures.....
I didn't read it this way. For me, maybe two different reasons motivating the change. With the new tune, it looks like regens are occurring more frequently (more soot) so it stands to reason that FCA wants to mitigate everywhere they can. The "DEAD" throttle response is REALLY present on my son's ED and honestly feels really dangerous. I really thought he was being a pus about the whole thing.... until I drove it. NO production car would EVER come out of the factory with a lag this bad!

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In all fairness it states to reduce soot and to protect main bearings. That's not quite the same as "reduce SOOT to protect the MAIN BEARINGS" I'm not saying there's no relationship, but it is "and" and not a "to"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Perhaps this AEM is a blessing in disguise for owners who prefer to drive their truck like a bat out of hell before it's properly warmed up. I'm not saying it's necessary to not drive before 150 degrees, just sayin drive it properly until temps reach 150 degrees.

I remember saying something like this early on. Lol
Here is the issue with everything you are talking about:

14-16 Ecodiesel owner drops off their vehicle to get the AEM.

The drive off in their Ecodiesel WITH THE AEM.

They don't expect the throttle lag post AEM

They get in a traffic accident because their truck acts completely differently.

Does that trigger anybody's "give a shit factor"????

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't read it this way. For me, maybe two different reasons motivating the change. With the new tune, it looks like regens are occurring more frequently (more soot) so it stands to reason that FCA wants to mitigate everywhere they can. The "DEAD" throttle response is REALLY present on my son's ED and honestly feels really dangerous. I really thought he was being a pus about the whole thing.... until I drove it. NO production car would EVER come out of the factory with a lag this bad!
We were typing at the same time.

The 2017 & 2018 ED came out of the factory this way.

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the issue with everything you are talking about:

14-16 Ecodiesel owner drops off their vehicle to get the AEM.

The drive off in their Ecodiesel WITH THE AEM.

They don't expect the throttle lag post AEM

They get in a traffic accident because their truck acts completely differently.

Does that trigger anybody's "give a shit factor"????
I'm just going to go ahead and say it SNOWFLAKES

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m going to say a few more things and quickly put on my flame retardant suit.

Some of you guys have genuine issues after the AEM and I hope FCA makes it right.

Some of you guys were hoping for more than a few grand and are letting emotions get in the way of rational thinking.

How does “own worst enemy” relate to the AEM?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I found this over at the jeep forum (thanks goes to the OP)

This is exactly what I had originally stated when this AEM was being blown out of proportion.
From what I can see in this post: We were right, there is a SIGNIFICANT throttle lag, and FCA just admitted it. #SmokingGunFound

Here's the problem: FCA did NOT disclose that there might be a throttle lag to 14-16 customers POST-AEM.

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I can see in this post: We were right, there is a SIGNIFICANT throttle lag, and FCA just admitted it. #SmokingGunFound

Here's the problem: FCA did NOT disclose that there might be a throttle lag to 14-16 customers POST-AEM.
150 degrees. Did you miss that part? It's the same as the 17 & 18's.

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You seem so certain that this "throttle lag issue" hasn't already cost somebody their life??
I drove a Hummer with the 6.5 TD for 15 years and I gotta tell you the post AEM ED is much quicker off the line.

·
Registered
90 Posts
150 degrees. Did you miss that part? It's the same as the 17 & 18's.
When you drive a 17/18 off the lot you know how it performs and you know how to pull into traffic. You KNOW the level of performance your truck can and cannot provide. That is not at dispute.

You turn in your 14-16 Ram for the AEM update.........and drive away with the performance of 17/18. WHICH YOU ARE NOT USED TO! #dangerous

That's as plain of English as I can get for you. Maybe you just don't care about peoples safety.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Glass full Glass half empty... This is my way of reading this letter with my interpretation 2014-2016 EcoDiesel’s spun bearings like crazy ...The original tune in the 2014-2016 trucks was nick named the Locomotive Tune ,Because it was soooty and Smoky!!!!! Then around the beginning of 2016 FCA reflashed all the EcoDiesel’s and I remember several members who had stock trucks saying every time they got their trucks reflashed the truck ran even better than before...

Well I believe next January 2017 the EPA filed suit, Why would FCA reflash all 2014-2016’s with apparently an illegal tune which cost FCA I believe 600 million...for no reason? Unless they figured no one would figure it out , But VW really screwed the pooch and everyone else got dragged into one way or another....

·
Administrator
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you drive a 17/18 off the lot you know how it performs and you know how to pull into traffic. You KNOW the level of performance your truck can and cannot provide. That is not at dispute.

You turn in your 14-16 Ram for the AEM update.........and drive away with the performance of 17/18. WHICH YOU ARE NOT USED TO! #dangerous

That's as plain of English as I can get for you. Maybe you just don't care about peoples safety.
Are you serious when you say "maybe I don't care about people's safety"?

Actually it's more likely those drivers who carelessly pull out into traffic don't give a hoot about other people's safety.

How about all the people that drive other cars off the lot https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/change-of-pace-the-10-slowest-cars-of-2018/

1 - 20 of 229 Posts