RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at potentially purchasing an eco diesel as I drive a lot of highway miles per day and also tow at least once a week. I read the reliability reports and they mentioned early models having issues with cam slippage though....so...couple questions :

Can you expect higher priced maintenance compared to a gasser?

When did the gen II engine start production and are they still considered reliable? Do people still do egr deletes and whatnot on them to add longevity?

Do you think the gen III is worth the wait?

Thanks for any responses btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
Read around the forum a bit. You may want to modify your questions.

The tuning companies that were popular to modify the Ecodiesel and keep it reliable have essentially closed down their operations due to government pressure. That means you either buy something already modified or run stock. Stock operation on the Ecodiesel has had a myriad of problems, some very hard to correct without major expense or modification. If you can't modify you could end up with an expensive paperweight.

Hopefully the Gen III, soon to come out, will be way more reliable in its' stock form.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looking at potentially purchasing an eco diesel as I drive a lot of highway miles per day and also tow at least once a week. I read the reliability reports and they mentioned early models having issues with cam slippage though....so...couple questions :

Can you expect higher priced maintenance compared to a gasser?

When did the gen II engine start production and are they still considered reliable? Do people still do egr deletes and whatnot on them to add longevity?

Do you think the gen III is worth the wait?

Thanks for any responses btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi: Keykogl08... Reliability is a relative term... and you know what relatives are like!!!
Oil change on my wifes car $49.95. Oil change on my EcoD. $49.95 but I supply the oil. 10 liters of Rotella T6 at how ever little I can get it!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This surprises me since I can only think of one guy on this forum who had that problem. And he had high mileage and LOTS of experimentation on his engine.
It seems this is a popular "issue" well advertised by those who don't have an Ecodiesel. I'm not sure why it persists but a buddy of mine who's more into cummins mentions it every once in a while. He seems more interested in "how does someone design a camshaft/sprocket that isn't keyed?" than how few failures there actually are

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
This surprises me since I can only think of one guy on this forum who had that problem. And he had high mileage and LOTS of experimentation on his engine.
If I'm not mistaken, part of his experimention was spraying water & methanol to increase horsepower.

He seems more interested in "how does someone design a camshaft/sprocket that isn't keyed?" than how few failures there actually are
It would surprise the hell out of him how many vehicle engines use a similar design.

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
The history of that cam slippage issue came from a fellow who posted a whole lot on here, social media and YouTube. He did major modifications of his engine and detailed many on popular YouTube videos. After one of his major engine tear-downs, he also had a spare engine to play with, he suggested his latest trouble was related to that. No read substantiation but his rational seemed plausible.

He is no longer with us. He died a few years ago and his legacy lives on in different forms. Kind of hard for him to RIP with so many digging up his ideas still today. RIP Shawn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kekog108, I have a 2016 Laramie quad 4x2, showing 85600 miles on it... the only issue I have had, is California CARB and the EPA, AEM recall.... other wise, T-6 oil from a farm and ranch store, buy my filter from NAPA, a few new tires, and awesome fuel economy... I do not have the air suspension, but she rides better than some air suspended Caddi's and Lincoln's... and as for towing, a 2500 lb trailer with a 5000 lb 62 Ford T-bird along for the ride... this little diesel can boot and scoot...compared to the Nissan Cummins 5 liter, this 3 liter is wayy better, quieter, and more effiecient, and she really doesn't gouge the pocket book... in other words, and in short, I love my truck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts