RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Ecodiesel - 64,000 miles

About 3 weeks ago I was driving home going about 70 on the freeway and out of no where, my truck seemed to lose power. Everything stayed on like normal, but I wasn't able to accelerate. The oil pressure light turned on as I managed to get to the shoulder & turn the truck off. I left it off for a few minutes and tried turning it back on. I turned the key, but it didn't want to turn over. Eventually after a few minutes, it started and the oil pressure light turned off, only to be replaced by a check engine light & a message to service the electronic throttle control. I was able to drive it to the dealership (barely) while it sounded like a humming noise came from the engine.

It was at the dealer for a few days when they called me and told me the air intake was melted on the inside and had to call Chrysler engineering to get a tech out there because they never seen that happen before. About a week later they called me back telling me there was soot build up which melted the air intake, and caused the EGR valve to stay open. (I am not mechanically savvy at all, so I'm not sure what that means). All in all, I was told the intake manifold, fuel filter, air filter, several fuel lines , EGR valve and EGR components would have to be replaced and to expect a $6000 bill.

I'm never the person to try and complain to get something for cheaper or even free, but they were telling me I had to pay it all myself because it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is something like that not under warranty. They said even though the EGR is under emissions warranty, the soot buildup would be considered negligence and since the EGR wasn't the root of the problem, I would be stuck with the entirety of the bill.

So is there anyone that experienced something similar to this and maybe has more knowledge as to why it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Isn't this the exact reasons these are bursting into flames all over the country?? I'd be fighting it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts

About 3 weeks ago I was driving home going about 70 on the freeway and out of no where, my truck seemed to lose power. Everything stayed on like normal, but I wasn't able to accelerate. The oil pressure light turned on as I managed to get to the shoulder & turn the truck off. I left it off for a few minutes and tried turning it back on. I turned the key, but it didn't want to turn over. Eventually after a few minutes, it started and the oil pressure light turned off, only to be replaced by a check engine light & a message to service the electronic throttle control. I was able to drive it to the dealership (barely) while it sounded like a humming noise came from the engine.

It was at the dealer for a few days when they called me and told me the air intake was melted on the inside and had to call Chrysler engineering to get a tech out there because they never seen that happen before. About a week later they called me back telling me there was soot build up which melted the air intake, and caused the EGR valve to stay open. (I am not mechanically savvy at all, so I'm not sure what that means). All in all, I was told the intake manifold, fuel filter, air filter, several fuel lines , EGR valve and EGR components would have to be replaced and to expect a $6000 bill.

I'm never the person to try and complain to get something for cheaper or even free, but they were telling me I had to pay it all myself because it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is something like that not under warranty. They said even though the EGR is under emissions warranty, the soot buildup would be considered negligence and since the EGR wasn't the root of the problem, I would be stuck with the entirety of the bill.

So is there anyone that experienced something similar to this and maybe has more knowledge as to why it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately the emissions warranty is only 24months or 24,000 miles whichever occurs first. However, if you've had the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) done and it was registered by your dealer, you would have received a notice from FCA that you have Extended Emissions Warranty for an additional 48 months/48,000 miles. Included in that warranty is your EGR Valve which failed and caused the progressive damage to the other components. As for the soot build up which caused the EGR valve failure, the question you need to raise with the dealership and an FCA field service representative is if you followed the proper maintenance guidelines there is nothing in them which says you have to perform any kind of maintenance to prevent soot buildup. If the Emissions system was functioning properly, there should not have been and excess amount of soot. Period. If you are unable to get any satisfaction addressing the issue that way, and I suggest you contact FCA customer service to be certain they are not willing to provide any assistance, then the only recourse is to get some legal assistance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the emissions warranty is only 24months or 24,000 miles whichever occurs first. However, if you've had the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) done and it was registered by your dealer, you would have received a notice from FCA that you have Extended Emissions Warranty for an additional 48 months/48,000 miles. Included in that warranty is your EGR Valve which failed and caused the progressive damage to the other components. As for the soot build up which caused the EGR valve failure, the question you need to raise with the dealership and an FCA field service representative is if you followed the proper maintenance guidelines there is nothing in them which says you have to perform any kind of maintenance to prevent soot buildup. If the Emissions system was functioning properly, there should not have been and excess amount of soot. Period. If you are unable to get any satisfaction addressing the issue that way, and I suggest you contact FCA customer service to be certain they are not willing to provide any assistance, then the only recourse is to get some legal assistance.
Thanks for the advice. I have had the AEM done by the way. Speaking to FCS customer care was just a big head ache. They say that all they have to go off of, in terms of why was there a build of soot in the first place, is whatever the dealership has told me. And what the dealership is telling me is what they are getting from FCA techs. That it's just soot build up and "it's something we have to deal with in these engines".
I take my truck in for regular service such as oil changes, changing filters, etc.

·
Administrator
8,675 Posts
The extended warranty can be for more than 4yrs/48K miles.

"The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty will not void any outstanding warranty. If there is a conflict between the Extended Warranty and any outstanding warranty, that conflict will be resolved to your benefit. The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first. In no event shall the Extended Warranty apply to or provide any coverage for Eligible Vehicles after May 1, 2029. In the event that an Eligible Vehicle that has received the Approved Emissions Modification is resold, the remaining Extended Warranty Period, if any, is transferable to subsequent purchasers and shall continue through the date or mileage determined in this Paragraph for the benefit of such subsequent purchasers."

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the same type of failure and also was barely able to limp into my dealer. Between the powertrain warranty and extended warranty I have, all of the repairs were covered. I think I had to pay my deductible for the extended warranty. My failure was at about 80000 miles.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
First off, the intake manifold melted, causing the EGR to be stuck open? Interesting twist of reality from the dealer. Might I ask them, if that is the case, how did the intake manifold melt if the EGR was performing as it was supposed to, and shut the valve properly when the ECM commanded it to due to a high EGT condition? Or, PERHAPS, the EGR valve got stuck open due to soot, which then caused the intake manifold to melt? Hmm

Negligence? Please. Cleaning soot out of the engine is nowhere stated in any sort of service manual.
You say you have had the AEM done. This is a covered component. Heck, just about everything except the bottom rotating assembly is covered under the accompanying warranty. Denial of that is criminal.
Also, pretty good timing considering the EGR failure is now formally acknowledged with a recall. Denial of that too?

Seems like you have a solid case for court. Hopefully you can get it resolved by being the squeaky wheel without having to get lawyers involved. But if you do, seems like you have all the cards in your favor.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
What a crock from that dealer. The very existence of an EGR system is why there is soot in the intake. Without an EGR any soot produced by the engine goes into the exhaust.

Now you know a major reason people delete their Ecodiesels. That means they remove the EGR system completely or at least program then to be shut off. That removes a major issue with reliability that is causing leaks and fires and soot trouble and more.

GOT to be covered by warranty if you still have some.

·
Registered
120 Posts
But what about people who have emissions test is that legit? Just asking my wife has jeep grand Cherokee.... also I still dont understand why my dmax from 2012 with about 25k has not had an issue with short trips since I bought it... just seems like fca messed up... yes we have emissions test in Phoenix.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts

keep driving, let it catch fire and go through insurance, not worth $6000 for FCA's bs...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had the same thing happen. EGR valve stuck open, melted intake. They tried to tell me my air cleaner was wet and soggy (part of problem) which i know it was not because i just checked it. I asked if they still had it and they said it was thrown away. They replaced the egr cooler and intake manifold all under warranty and yes i just had aem done 2 months ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had the same thing happen. EGR valve stuck open, melted intake. They tried to tell me my air cleaner was wet and soggy (part of problem) which i know it was not because i just checked it. I asked if they still had it and they said it was thrown away. They replaced the egr cooler and intake manifold all under warranty and yes i just had aem done 2 months ago.
I wonder why they are telling me it's NOT covered. Pretty strange. I opened a case with Chrysler, so we will see where it goes from here.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wonder why they are telling me it's NOT covered. Pretty strange. I opened a case with Chrysler, so we will see where it goes from here.
Because they are uninformed idiots.

Is there another dealer you can work with?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh I'm worried now. I keep getting codes P2D2D and P200A which I think has to do with the EGR and I've got Chrysler's 100k mile extended warranty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because they are uninformed idiots.

Is there another dealer you can work with?
There is, but there is usually a diagnostic fee that runs about $190, and only gets waived if the repairs are covered under warranty. So if they decide to tell me it isn't under warranty again, then I'm out that $190.
So I'm deciding IF I take it to another dealer, I tell them I already got a diagnostic from a nearby dealer, or just take it with my mouth shut.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There is, but there is usually a diagnostic fee that runs about $190, and only gets waived if the repairs are covered under warranty. So if they decide to tell me it isn't under warranty again, then I'm out that $190.
So I'm deciding IF I take it to another dealer, I tell them I already got a diagnostic from a nearby dealer, or just take it with my mouth shut.
Extended warranty states................Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunction that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), Regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know others have already said this, but that dealer is full of it. I'm not sure any dealer can be that ignorant of the history of this engine, and if it were me I would accuse them of fraud.

They know about the AEM, they know it's covered by the warranty, and now by a recall. But they see that you are an uninformed consumer and they are trying to take advantage of you.

It seems likely to me that they would take your $6000, do the warranty paperwork with chrysler and pocket the warranty payment too. "Hey, double payday for us, and the idiot customer doesn't know the difference!"

make sure your FCA customer care rep knows all this, and call out the dealership on it too. Very Loudly, In the middle of their showroom, so all the other customers hear

Edit: I want to clarify from the above that I don't think you're an idiot, and I hope you're not offended by my post. By your own admission you're not mechanically inclined, and don't fully understand what the dealer has explained; but your intuition told you something didn't seem right and you came seeking more experienced advice. That alone puts you head and shoulders above the truly ignorant who will take it in the shorts and walk away smiling.

I only hope the advice and knowledge you find here can help you resolve this and any future issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know others have already said this, but that dealer is full of it. I'm not sure any dealer can be that ignorant of the history of this engine, and if it were me I would accuse them of fraud.

They know about the AEM, they know it's covered by the warranty, and now by a recall. But they see that you are an uninformed consumer and they are trying to take advantage of you.

It seems likely to me that they would take your $6000, do the warranty paperwork with chrysler and pocket the warranty payment too. "Hey, double payday for us, and the idiot customer doesn't know the difference!"

make sure your FCA customer care rep knows all this, and call out the dealership on it too. Very Loudly, In the middle of their showroom, so all the other customers hear

Edit: I want to clarify from the above that I don't think you're an idiot, and I hope you're not offended by my post. By your own admission you're not mechanically inclined, and don't fully understand what the dealer has explained; but your intuition told you something didn't seem right and you came seeking more experienced advice. That alone puts you head and shoulders above the truly ignorant who will take it in the shorts and walk away smiling.

I only hope the advice and knowledge you find here can help you resolve this and any future issues.
No worries man, I didn't get offended, I knew what you meant. But yeah, everyone has been really helpful it this issue that I'm having. It's a really knowledgeable community.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts