RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an honest, reliable shop to either put a complete engine or remanned heads on my 2016 ED. For the right place I can go from Miami to Indianapolis, DC to New Orleans but obviously closer to Augusta, GA is better. I'm just having a tough time finding a shop that will do it.

My fault that I bought the truck already screwed. It was in great shape, ran well, and rode smooth. Took me two months to realize that it had a serious problem. Sat at a mechanic for a couple months before he decided he didn't want to get into it.

Took it to a local dealer and they told me the EGR cooler is broken, leaking oil into the coolant, and both head gaskets are leaking in several places. They quoted me $8,500 just to replace the EGR cooler and head gaskets. Since they are apparently leaking in several places, I can't help but believe the heads are likely warped and that it would be pointless to just replace the head gaskets. I asked them for a price to replace the entire motor as well as one to recondition or replace the heads with remanned heads. They told me that both were on intergalactic backorder and they couldn't help me.

I could just trade it in somewhere like the SOB before me did but then I couldn't sleep at night. Gotta be honest, once I get it fixed I don't know that I even want to chance driving it for long.

If you can get a new motor from FCA, is it a 2020+ motor that will fit in the 2016 or would it be an older one with the same faults?

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
465 Posts
It will be the same engine you took out. There is currently no viable way to install a late model motor in an older truck.

• Sad
Reactions: High Lord Gomer

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
I know one Independent shop I really liked for my CTD's I have owned, BUT, I have heard (second-hand mind you) that, they are not real crazy about the Eco's...But it is city diesel, Decatur Alabama

I have no first hand info, they were not cheap, and neither was the quality of work, If you call Jackie was always always helpful to me

City Diesel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know one Independent shop I really liked for my CTD's I have owned, BUT, I have heard (second-hand mind you) that, they are not real crazy about the Eco's...But it is city diesel, Decatur Alabama

I have no first hand info, they were not cheap, and neither was the quality of work, If you call Jackie was always always helpful to me

City Diesel
Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts