RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Spare ECU if go EOC or GDE - does it need to be “programmed” by dealer?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  John Jensen 
#1 ·
Hello. Hey, the EOC site says you can send in a spare ECU (can’t do GDE, live in CA). I also read a thread where a guy said he had to have the spare ECU programmed for his truck. Is this true? Or would EOC be fine w/just a new or used ECU?

#3 · (Edited)
Your spare ECU has to be programmed to your VIN #. I don't think EOC can do that. Your dealer can do it. Mine charged me $60.00

#6 ·
Why not? My dealer knows I'm tuned and didn't care one iota. In fact, when I had that type of tune my great Service Manager had his tech unplug the tuned ECU, plug in the stock ECU, do their updates, and replug the tuned ECU. If they ask you just tell them you want a backup in case the original fails.

#5 ·
I need to read around more before I post. I found the following on the EOC website:

”Requires you ship us your stock ecu or a secondary stock ecu to flash. We can also clone blank ecus to your truck BUT there is a red security light that will stay illuminated in the dash when running the tuned ecu. This does not effect function, its just annoying to see.“

#10 ·
Agree. However, I wouldn't blame the dealer tech, he has no idea that it's tuned and is just doing his job. Blame the idiot owner who goes to a dealer with his tune intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.