RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the spare tire location hold a the normal 275/60r20 SRA tires or any other tire of that size?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 10 ply tire in spare location I don't remember what it is. But it's not the factory garbage. It's same diamater as stock tires. Just a 17 inch steel wheel.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
Finding a 20" rim that will fit on the winch assembly. With mine being a Outdoorsman, I have an identical tire as a spare but it's also the 17" rim. You could get a 17 rim and mount a 285/70/17 or 255/80/17 tire as they are both within 1% of the factory 270/60/20 tire size.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
here is an image from another member who put a 20 inch rim under there ,
he had to remove the plastic chrome , ouch , ugly , (winch assembly dictates ).
you can see 275 65R20 on tire on left side
sorry no link , got that image before I started copying all thread names ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for that info, I should have lead the question that way. That does change things. Crap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the idea is to have a full size spare that can be put into the tire rotation and used instead of this doughnut that should only be used for maybe 50 miles. Not at a point where I just go buy a new set of rims and tires.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
so the idea is to have a full size spare that can be put into the tire rotation and used instead of this doughnut that should only be used for maybe 50 miles. Not at a point where I just go buy a new set of rims and tires.

Any suggestions?
4 tire rotation.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
That member did this clad removal to accomodate the bracket that holds the rim up ,
but it does not necessarally mean it has to be done that way , I've never looked into it
but if you have a good brain you might find some way to modify the bracket so it can
fit in the 20 inch rim hole without butchering the Rims , the plastic chrome clad Rims
have a +/- 1 1/2 inch cap to plug hole , while the 17 inch metal rim has a hole
over 3 inch in diameter .

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
My 2014 Longhorn with 20 " tires came with a full size spare tire mounted on a 20" steel wheel. Just about 4 months ago I ruined a half worn out tire which was from my second set of Wrangler SRAs. Luckily I had save the best tire from the first set so I had the unused spare taken off the steel wheel, mounted it on the 'show' wheel and mounted my saved tire from the first set onto the steel 20" wheel and put it back in the spare slot. No problem.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Never knew they had a teeny tire in the spare position. Mine was full-sized and used it often. Darn "P" rated tires I started out with often got flats so I often used the spare. When I went to "E" rated tires that was the end of the flats and the end fo the quick wear-outs.

Sure that space takes a regular tire.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Like others, I have a full size 20" spare (steel rim) under my truck. I had the 17" rim and while the tire diameters were very close, we wanted a matching tire/rim because of the long distance trips we take with our truck/camper. It's tight to get it in but not trimming, etc. required (2015 Outdoorsman).

·
Registered
775 Posts
My spare was a "Temporary" 235x85-17, 32.7x9.25" on a 17" aluminum rim. I replaced the tire with a cheap Westlake SL369 A/T 285/70-17 D tire, 32.8 x 11.5 from Walmart. Fits the same as the Temporary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whille I have not corrected the spare rim issue, for me, I do have new lug nuts coming to replace the cheap factory lug nuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts