RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That could have been me but I still have my dodge, and I bought out west. The mpg truly did SUCK, my over all avg. was 15.2 L /100 km. the evic converted that to about 15 mpg US. biggest reason it went down the road . Had it given me the advertised mpg I would still be driving it even though it had numerous issues.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Ironically yesterday I had a fellow meet me in Sarasota to help load some "stupid" entertainment center my wife conned from her sister into a tailer on my truck. He drove over in a 2013 Ford Ecoboost F 150. I asked. He answered.

16 mpg.

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
Ironically yesterday I had a fellow meet me in Sarasota to help load some "stupid" entertainment center my wife conned from her sister into a tailer on my truck. He drove over in a 2013 Ford Ecoboost F 150. I asked. He answered.

16 mpg.
Yeah, but... but, it can pull heavy loads up a mountain, like, really fast.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If I can't tow up big mountains going FAST, than it is not a strong truck. And who doesn't want a strong truck ? Right ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The ecoboosts towing speed is impressive for such a small motor. But I feel that it's longevity would be reduced because of the engine being overworked. I think that is the main reason for its poor gas mileage. On an f150 the 5.0 is the only way to go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
When I was doing research on trucks prior to eventually buying an EcoDiesel, I read a couple of reviews/road tests that tested the F150 Ecoboost and V8 model side by side. They said the gas mileage was identical. That was enough to convince me right there that given a choice between the 2, I'd take the V8.

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
The ecoboosts towing speed is impressive for such a small motor. But I feel that it's longevity would be reduced because of the engine being overworked. I think that is the main reason for its poor gas mileage. On an f150 the 5.0 is the only way to go.
Used properly, I'll bet the EcoD outperforms the 5.0 Ford all day, every day in terms of towing ability.

You will see once you're old enough to drive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Used properly, I'll bet the EcoD outperforms the 5.0 Ford all day, every day in terms of towing.
In theory, yes a Diesel engine with it's increased torque should out tow a small displacement V8. I think a fast lane truck tow off is in order to know for sure. The results would be interesting.

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
In theory, yes a Diesel engine with it's increased torque should out tow a small displacement V8. I think a fast lane truck tow off is in order to know for sure. The results would be interesting.
I'm not sure those guys are the ones to do the test... a diesel should be operated differently than the way they did in the first video. Max torque happens way lower in the RPM range.... towing heavy loads is not a race, WOT is not the way to operate this truck. For that matter, the 7 miles of so of that mountain would only represent a small portion of a "trip", the EcoD will pull better everywhere else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm not sure those guys are the ones to do the test... a diesel should be operated differently than the way they did in the first video. Max torque happens way lower in the RPM range.... towing heavy loads is not a race, WOT is not the way to operate this truck. For that matter, the 7 miles of so of that mountain would only represent a small portion of a "trip", the EcoD will pull better everywhere else.
I wouldn't be so quick to disparage the fast lane truck. They have been a major supporter and have showcased the Ecodiesel many times and painted it in a positive light. The reason for the speed tests is that in towing to be able to maintain a speed that flows with traffic is important. Many consumers want a truck that can maintain regular speeds while towing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think we can all agree the ecoboost is not for any of us. Diesel or V8 gas power is the only way to go in a fullsize truck. These ecoboosts will be canned by Ford eventually.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts