RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't talked to dealer yet, but I thought I'd check here first. Going from my stock 265/70/17 tires to 285/70/17 will increase diameter1.1" and lower RPM by 21/mile.
Can speedo be adjusted on board or do I need an OBDII plug in to do it? Anyone with prior experience on a 2013-2014 Ram?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have not found that to be a customer adjust option. It is not in my "setup" in my 2014.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm putting the same size on my Ecodiesel and I think they are the same dimensions as the 20" on my current express. Shouldn't see any noticeable difference, I think....

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you do not change the tire size in the ECM your trans. shifting is going to be off and not feel right. You can buy a programmer or go to the dealer and have them change the tire size for you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ED arrived today so I called service manager. They are going to reprogram the vehicle's computer for the upsizing of my new tires. Changing from the plain Jane 265 70 R 17 to new 285 70 R 17s. They did say there is a limit to how much larger they can do at the dealerships. That is all I found out...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same size I'm putting on. Dealer can adjust up to 33.8" I think. 285/70/17 no problem.
Which tires you going to? I'm on the fence between Michelin LTX AT2 and BFG All Terrain T/A.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2 All Terrain Truck SUV Size: P285/70R17 free delivery from tire buyer and great price...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used BFG All Terrain T/A on my 3/4 ton F250 and every other 4wd for years, awesome tire, absolutely crushes west texas mesquite thorns and cactus.
I won't be using this EcoDiesel for rough country hunting, so I'm going with a tamer All Terrain tire like Michelin or......better road ride and MPG.

·
Registered
579 Posts
What does the dealership charge to reprogram for larger tires?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Reactions: UpToNoGood

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe the hypertech models Work on our trucks. The dealers dress up hemi half tons all the time to 35s and I think that's what they use. Boxes are left in the trucks for display at the dealerships. As far as dealership pre programmed settings there's only 3 available tire dimensions in the computer that a dealer could theoretically select. The largest being the factory 33" = 275/60/20. All dimensions of 17's and 18s on base models are smaller overall tire diameter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts