RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently noticed a squeak/squeal sound when accelerating, only happens from 2000-2200RPM.
Sounds like it’s coming from under the truck, with the windows up you can’t hear it, but with the windows down it’s pretty noticeable.
It will not do it in park/neutral, only when the engine is under load.
Dealership today couldn’t find it and wants me to come back Tuesday morning so they can run tests on the turbo, although it doesn’t make sense to me it would be the turbo...

2017 Laramie 38,000km

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Look for the exhaust flange separation issue between the dpf and scr. It's under the passenger side. The bolts break causing the separation. Start the truck, climb under and feel for the leak around all sides of the triangular shaped flange. Even if the bolts look intact, they aren't.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If it's the bottom one, not so hard to replace. You may have to drill out, as they are studs pressed in from the front side. I tried punching out the broken end, ended up drilling out and installing a 3/8" bolt with lock washer. Ideally, should replace all 3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just pulled in from work. It seems I can feel a bit of exhaust coming through there.
I was messing around a bit on the way home just now, seemed it’s less likely to do it in 4wd than 2wd? Does that make sense?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolts seem to be intact, I don’t have a “13mm??” Wrench handy so I can’t test them.
That’s how it looks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll still get the dealer to double check those bolts on Tuesday.
I’m just concerned with them saying they’ll test the boost pressure, if it rarely makes the sound in 4wd it shouldn’t be boost related.
Let’s just hope whatever it is is covered under warranty!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Hello Murfs16 , first , welcome to the site .
the dealer might be looking for ===> , the tube between the turbo and the EGR , called Turbo Up Pipe ,
they are a little flexible and develop cracks ,
or , there is also on 2WD trucks , cracks reported in earlier trucks at turbo flange
your flange bolts look good , but keep an eye on them anyways
to avoid a bad side effect of those bolts breaking , that is : melting the wiring harness for the DEF injector .
don't touch them , exhaust bolts most often just break when trying to unscrew them ,
when you do see one broken , I suggest you trurn the other 2 , they will break also , and then you get more room
to work on the 3 bolts to drill them out and replace with grade 8 bolts and nuts .there is a metal gasket that goes in between too .
additional info on flange in here :

images of cracked turbo up pipe :

image of turbo flange :

some image from flange bolts thread :

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a strange sound like that which turned out to be the front drivers side halfshaft. If you crawl under and bang on it with your fist and can hear a noise and it moves might be your culprit. Only way to fix is replacement of the dust ring and maybe the drivers side shaft as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot guys.
Nice to be part of a great forum finally.

Rickk33, I’m leaving for work right away, I’ll try to “safely” record a video when driving and let me know if yours was similar!
Just panicking a bit, since I have a 3000km trip coming up on June 30!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can’t figure out how to post a video on here from my phone.
But it does not make the sound at all when in 4wd, stopped at a light, switch to 2wd and did it instantly at 2000rpm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I can’t really hear it in the video but you’re statement that it goes away in 4wd is a good indicator you might have the same issue I had. It was a pain to get the shop to fix it. First tech thought it was turbo, service manager couldn’t hear it as he was tone deaf, and it ultimately took several trips to the dealer to get them to acknowledge and fix.

That drivers side halfshaft likely has excessive play in it and what you’re hearing is at certain RPMs it’s vibrating and making that sound you’re hearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks man!
My appointment at the dealer is Tuesday morning. I’m going to give that advice to the tech and update this post when they figure it out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good luck! If its that make sure they look hard at getting rid of the slop where it goes into the front diff, if they just replace the halfshaft it will probably come back after a few thousand peaceful miles...ask me how I know!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts