RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I own a 2015 ED and love it thus far. I purchased a stage 2 tune from HD Diesel a month ago and it is great thus far. I had off road exhaust professionally installed and still have the EGR (Stock) in place fro now. But a few concerns have come to light:

1.) After installing the off road exhaust I started to smell exhaust in the cab of the truck regardless of prevailing wind on early morning cold start up. In addition I can smell it in the engine bay during these time as well with the hood open. Is this normal with tunes or is something more at play?
2.) After my tune I changed the oil early as it was very black and after 450 miles the oil looks almost as bad as it did prior to the oil change before EGR valve was electronically shut off. I figured that the oil would look fairly new after one tank? Is there a possibility that my EGR valve is stuck part way open and still re-burning exhaust or is this expected?
3.) Lastly we had a 10F morning and I did my remote start as usually and my truck stalled and shutoff after 2 minutes or so, usually it runs closer to to 8 minutes. My fuel tank also read empty this morning with 1/4 tank upon being parked last night. Could this be EGR related or simply just gelled up diesel or a combination.

I am very tempted to get another tune to keep everything intact.

Thoughts guys!?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same exhaust smell when I did mine. I had leaks at each end of the replacement pipe. Exhaust sealer took care of that problem.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If you smell exhaust under the hood you have a leak the pipes hd sells are flo pro and not very high quality. Now for the oil it well take a couple oil changes to get it clean contrary to popular belief you dont get all the oil out even if you let it drain a week.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would recommend removing your EGR tube and blocking it off. If the soot is bad enough the EGR valve could be partially open and still flowing exhaust into the engine. The only sure way to remove this possibility it to block it with the delete places. Its super easy to do for just the EGR.

It took about 2 oil changes before I actually saw clean oil. So you have some time. And if your EGR valve is stuck open at all, you won't see clean oil anytime soon.

The exhaust smell isn't normal and you most likely have an exhaust leak, as mentioned above. You will probably see soot building up around the connections, and this will show you where the leak is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you smell exhaust under the hood you have a leak the pipes hd sells are flo pro and not very high quality. Now for the oil it well take a couple oil changes to get it clean contrary to popular belief you dont get all the oil out even if you let it drain a week.
Awesome Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend removing your EGR tube and blocking it off. If the soot is bad enough the EGR valve could be partially open and still flowing exhaust into the engine. The only sure way to remove this possibility it to block it with the delete places. Its super easy to do for just the EGR.

It took about 2 oil changes before I actually saw clean oil. So you have some time. And if your EGR valve is stuck open at all, you won't see clean oil anytime soon.

The exhaust smell isn't normal and you most likely have an exhaust leak, as mentioned above. You will probably see soot building up around the connections, and this will show you where the leak is.
Great advice! I think I will remove the EGR in the near future.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Great advice! I think I will remove the EGR in the near future.
Removing EGR :

1 - 8 of 8 Posts