RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new guy here though i've been reading along for the past couple months.

I've noticed the standard cab truck has become a bit of a rare breed lately. Even driving around I rarely see one anymore. I'm probably a couple years away from purchasing and the standard cab would fit my lifestyle better than 4 door, wouldn't mind an extended cab though.

Anyone else a hold out for the old fashioned truck?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I looked at this cuz I want to haul a 700lb atv and pull a 5000lb TT so will have 500lbs tongue plus hitch and some stuff. An 8' bed would be handy. Can't do it with a reg cab! What doesn't make sense to me is that a 4x4 regular cab long bed (8') EcoDiesel only has a 1280lb payload! Thats for a plane jane Tradesman. Can't get the diesel in a reg cab short box. A quad cab is 1380 or 1480 depending on trim. Start adding options and it drops.

I looked at a loaded $52000 truck here last week and the payload rating on the door was 1015lbs and that was with a Hemi, it'd be less with a diesel. Not hardly enough for a family of 4 a dog, a few bicyles in the bed and tongue weight of a 5-6000lb travel trailer. An F-150 S-Cab 6.5 box is 1850! Ram needs to do something to give these trucks a better payload. From this perspective these trucks are more like cars with a bed on the back instead of a trunk.... bleh.... come on Dodge!!! Give us a HD 1/2 ton!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Nope. It's too nice to have room enough for 4 to 6 adults, and still have your truck.

I remember back in the 80's (highschool) I was always pissed off, because Toyota sold a full crew cab in most of the world, but wouldn't bring it to the USA. The extra cab we got was only big enough to put a backpack or a set of sub-woofers. Since the early 2000's... crew cabs have been the only way to own a truck.

Even if I was getting a truck ONLY as a work truck... I may consider it... but I would probably still get a quad cab.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at this cuz I want to haul a 700lb atv and pull a 5000lb TT so will have 500lbs tongue plus hitch and some stuff. An 8' bed would be handy. Can't do it with a reg cab! What doesn't make sense to me is that a 4x4 regular cab long bed (8') EcoDiesel only has a 1280lb payload! Thats for a plane jane Tradesman. Can't get the diesel in a reg cab short box. A quad cab is 1380 or 1480 depending on trim. Start adding options and it drops.

I looked at a loaded $52000 truck here last week and the payload rating on the door was 1015lbs and that was with a Hemi, it'd be less with a diesel. Not hardly enough for a family of 4 a dog, a few bicyles in the bed and tongue weight of a 5-6000lb travel trailer. An F-150 S-Cab 6.5 box is 1850! Ram needs to do something to give these trucks a better payload. From this perspective these trucks are more like cars with a bed on the back instead of a trunk.... bleh.... come on Dodge!!! Give us a HD 1/2 ton!!
Yea, these numbers and configurations sure don't seem to have any rhyme or reason, at least not to me. I can live with the ~1200# payload but a few few 100 more would be nice. I sometimes haul dirt and gravel and 1/2 yard is putting it over the limited though i've done it with my 94 Dakota a few times as well as a 84 Nissan years ago.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. It's too nice to have room enough for 4 to 6 adults, and still have your truck.

I remember back in the 80's (highschool) I was always pissed off, because Toyota sold a full crew cab in most of the world, but wouldn't bring it to the USA. The extra cab we got was only big enough to put a backpack or a set of sub-woofers. Since the early 2000's... crew cabs have been the only way to own a truck.

Even if I was getting a truck ONLY as a work truck... I may consider it... but I would probably still get a quad cab.
I certainly see the appeal of the 4 doors for many people but for me I'd rather have the cargo space than be a taxi, lol.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For most uses the payload will be sufficient for me, but it is pretty discouraging when the new GM Canyon/Colorado will have a greater payload than the Ram.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
For most uses the payload will be sufficient for me, but it is pretty discouraging when the new GM Canyon/Colorado will have a greater payload than the Ram.
Actually......

Ram is the only truck who seems to give a real(istic) payload and tow rating. My dad's ford F-150 has a crazy 10,000 lb tow rating... but it bogs down just as bad as my 4.7L Ram with my 5500 lb boat behind it. The only way it's going to hit it's limit, is on a totally flat straight stretch of highway. Heck... my old Toyota was good for 1200 lb payload, but if I put 2 dirtbikes in it... (about 450 lbs) it was squatting down.

Numbers on paper are totally useless to me. It's what it can actually do, and be safe. Also... if you are regularly towing heavy, or carrying over 1000 Lbs in the bed... you need a 3/4ton.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Think it was Diesel Power magazine, or something like that, that did the test on the 1500 VS the 2500. My brother-in-law showed me it Saturday night. I had to use the truck, in driving rain and slop, to go 50 miles to his place and he was waiting. he drives two Rams and close friends have two Cummins. He was ready to show me the magazine and see mine. His comments on the test were they towed MORE than the Ram 1500 was rated for in the test.

I saw their byline and it did state it was testing slightly over the tow rating for the 1500. They also said they didn't really care and more importantly, the truck handled it well.

Think that link is on this site somewhere. That's not the issue. The fact is this truck handled/towed a load over 8,000 lbs and did it easily.

Maybe it's underrated?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

I saw their byline and it did state it was testing slightly over the tow rating for the 1500. They also said they didn't really care and more importantly, the truck handled it well.

Think that link is on this site somewhere. That's not the issue. The fact is this truck handled/towed a load over 8,000 lbs and did it easily.

Maybe it's underrated?

That's kind of where I was going with it. Not so much as it's under rated... but it can ACTUALLY tow and haul the spec given. Whereas, Chevy and Ford both show MAX tow/haul figures. Sure, they may be able to do it... but not all the time.

It's kind of like some electrical equipment. You can have a 20a circuit breaker... but if you pull more than 15a continuously... it will pop. Or advertising an electric motor at 120% service factor. OR (my favorite) the little welders at the local hardware store. They advertise as 150a... but they only have a 10% duty cycle.

So... coming full circle... if I was towing 10,000lbs all the time... I WOULD NOT buy an F150 like my dad has. Heck... I probably wouldn't even buy a 2500... I would go to a 3500 to have a good safety margin.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went with the crew cab. Only towing I will be doing is two to three times a year with the horse trailer (with one horse in it) and about the same amount towing a 1950's Jeep. Other than that just picking up home and farm improvement supplies. I had a crew cab GMC 2500HD before this and maybe used it to its capacity three or four times in eight years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts