RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I started off my work-life as a diesel mechanic for a mining company. I've seen lots of diesels, some super-clean underground machines too and some can be a pain to start. Diesel engine's take a ton of power for the initial crank(because of all the electrical equipment like pumps/secondary pumps AS WELL AS the labor of turning a diesel over), and in the bitter effin cold that I live in batteries are tested as well as fuel lines/emissions equipment. Nobody wants to be in limp mode, but that's a talk for another day. I'm talking the initial start. Anyone heard of problems?

I drove the hell out of the Grand Cherokee in -21(celsius), and it hadn't been driven in days with the temperatures that low for several days leading up. I had a concern with the glow plugs when the Auto-Start was used, but it actually does have a time delay that allows the glow plugs to do their thing. I know for a fact the glow plugs did their job, because it was so cold I had to run a heater under the hood of my car while it was plugged in to thaw frost from my coil and start it). Not a single puff of dark smoke even. I was shocked at how easily it fired up even compared to the hemi beside it(which sounded for sure like the oil wasn't getting around when it started).

My concern is that when the battery isn't brand new, in -30 when I work nights and my alarm is on/using power, am I going to have to cycle the auto start every few hours so it starts?

SO FAR, I'm impressed the cummins I plowed with had a huge battery and needed a boost to start in deep cold sometimes. I REALIZE THIS IS A SMALLER ENGINE...BUT, has anyone seen/heard anything about trouble starting in cold?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A Ram rep with a pre-production vehicle said he spent several weeks in Canada in below zero temperatures and had no problems with either starting or operation. That's all I've heard.

The manual recommends a block heater below -10°F and requires it below -20°F. The coldest temp I have ever been in was around -20°F. I have little experience with diesels and can't even speculate on what happens with a cold start at -30°F.

Reactions: EgoDiesel

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I don't plug in my Liberty. You do have to keep up with the glow plugs and battery. I wish the ram had an option for a 2nd battery.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinkin I'll get a new booster pack and keep it in the truck, I don't want to ever be "that guy" who asks for a boost.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a John Deere 5210 tractor (diesel) with a four year old Die Hard battery. All of us Midwesterners know how cold it was this past winter. Anyhow, that tractor would sit in an unheated barn for up to four weeks before I would start it. Never had an issue. The engine has a intake manifold preheater that is powered off the battery instead of glow plug. Bottom line is as long as you have a good battery I think you are good in most situations.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I test drove the ecodiesel GC on a negative degree day. We chipped off the ice, and it was sitting in the back lot of the dealer. But I hit the go button... and after 5~8 seconds for the glow plugs.... it started right up.

Honestly, I was expecting the fuel to be gelled, and for it to stall once we started to roll. but, she ran just fine. The new common rail system really works well. (compared to my 5.9 VP Cummins)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My VM starts well in the cold, even with the new Glow Plugs, which are not as hot as the old ones.

2006 Jeep Liberty Cold Starts 2013:

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Reactions: parco

·
Registered
458 Posts
The coldest temp I have ever been in was around -20°F. I have little experience with diesels and can't even speculate on what happens with a cold start at -30°F.
Until late 2012, I had been driving diesel toyota hilux's and older 7.3l F250's in Greenland for a good few years. During the coldest months (-15 to -40F constantly), should you forget to plug the thing in, you had maybe a 80/20 shot at them starting.

When they do, it's a chug chug chug, then it'll catch and probably blow out a good puff o' smoke and idle REAL rough. Let it sit for a minute or two and you're good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder if they will have a fast idle on them for cold. I mean cold, colder than 20 below. Like 30-50 below that we see here in downtown Fairbanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got to experience -32 F ice fishing this winter, and we were below 0F most of the winter. I'm going to have to remember to order the block heater. I had no problems with my gas (petrol) vehicles this winter but they both have new batteries. Is there room under the hood to mount a second battery? Would a second battery even help starting in the winter? It couldn't hurt right?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got to experience -32 F ice fishing this winter, and we were below 0F most of the winter. I'm going to have to remember to order the block heater. I had no problems with my gas (petrol) vehicles this winter but they both have new batteries. Is there room under the hood to mount a second battery? Would a second battery even help starting in the winter? It couldn't hurt right?
See THAT'S what I'm talking about. I work mostly overnights, and rarely have plug-in access. On a 12-hour shift when it's -30 in the daytime it hits -40 or worse at night plus windchill. I'm not saying the vehicle will have trouble starting. BUT, that one unfortunate time when you do have trouble...diesels usually need a hell of a lot of cranking amps(which takes some charging on the weak battery as well as a power source, not just a "boost" alone). To get the old F-250 at work going, we had to charge the battery a while plus use a booster pack because the boosters were made for cars and didn't put out the amps. A bigger booster would work but that's getting pretty big. I do realize an F-250 is a completely different design of engine and its twice the size.

Maybe what I should ask is...What is the cold cranking amps on the factory batteries? And does anyone have any diagnostic computers that have readouts of the power consumption? I'd like to know how close the engine comes to its peak amperage while starting. That way I'll get an estimate at how much leeway there is.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My VM starts well in the cold, even with the new Glow Plugs, which are not as hot as the old ones.

2006 Jeep Liberty Cold Starts 2013:

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
What make and model of EGT gauge is that in your JL? Where did you order it from and about how much? Where does the pyrometer go? I sound like a kid asking toooo many questions!:eek:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
What make and model of EGT gauge is that in your JL? Where did you order it from and about how much? Where does the pyrometer go? I sound like a kid asking toooo many questions!:eek:
Those as are considered low end gauges made by glowshift. http://www.glowshift.com I had the exhaust manifold off and I drilled and tapped that. But, you can also get a clamp, drill a hole, and put it in the downpipe post turbo.

If you get one for the 1500, I would suggest the higher temperature one because of the regen cycles.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Nothing wrong with glow shift. I had them in my 2500, and I had the fuel pressure sender die twice. Both times... a new one was sent out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I ordered the block heater, because why not, being it was so cheap... But I doubt I'll have to use it much. I just left my position with cummins as a sales manager and the ISB6.7 didn't have too many problems. The biggest thing was DEF freezes, but there is a coil to defrost it and it will run for a sufficient amount of time for it to defrost before you go into limp mode because of insufficient DEF. I haven't researched the SCR system much on the ecodiesel but I have to assume its nearly identical in concept as cummins paved the way in that technology.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I live in Green Bay Wis. Winter temps get zero to 18- below. My 2004 5.9 cumings had two batteries and I never had starting problems in ten years. I am a little concerned with having only one battery in my Ecodiesel. Only time will tell. PS never used my block heater.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Don't forget. The Cummins is twice or more the motor in size. It and most all other diesels need both batteries in parallel to get the darn things cranking. Actually, I had one battery fail on my last Cummins. That made it a "no start" in spite of the other one being pretty good.

One or two, doesn't matter. Both arrangements function like one so give me one good one at that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would also think the lighter synthetic oil will make starts better too. I know one trick to try with heavy equipment that is a cranky starter is to change over to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I live in Green Bay Wis. Winter temps get zero to 18- below. My 2004 5.9 cumings had two batteries and I never had starting problems in ten years. I am a little concerned with having only one battery in my Ecodiesel. Only time will tell. PS never used my block heater.
Nearly 6 liters vs 3 liters. It'll be good enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts