RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5Lpr5C%QRXGZN4LLE4MfVg by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Maybe 5 hours of hideous ordeal in the heat. The boards I bought are on. Total cost about $200. Look good to me but what a necessity. Original height to the floor was 30". I first measured more but got a better look at the measure today. The boards are 5" ones and sure seem to look right on this creature. First step up is 17" and the next just over a foot. Hallaluha! Of course the first time out today I forgot they were there and jumped straight out hitting my calf on the board and flipping forward on my face. Alzheimers coming on strong. Both my parents died from that years ago. I might be next in line.

Installation was an ordeal also because I did it by myself. The profanity yelled last night could be heard in the next county. You have to assemble parts that require two people. Sure took me a while to morph into that second person. Then the garage door broke. Called the door repair after exhausting all my ideas. One day later I found out I must have pressed the lock button on the wall opener by mistake. Kind of like me pressing the exhaust brake button by mistake yesterday and dealing with what I thought was a CEL.

Cancelled the garage repair house call and went for gin and tonic. Poured the gin, ice, lime then topped it off with more gin. Oops. Wife tried it and poured it into a large glass. Then the tonic went in. More Alzheimers. ???

Looks good to me and solid. Now the mud flaps, window shades, bug shield and then the Leer cap this time. Need new antennae mounts for 2 meter and CB as the front is different than the Ecodiesel. Coming together.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much the "old man retiree kit". Don't forget the pinstripes!

But seriously, nice looking truck. Congrats.
Just wait. You may have hit it on the head. First I need a few weeks for the cap to come in and be installed. Ordered a Leer with flip-up doors on each side and front drop window. There are more things plus the antenna mounts for my ham and cb radios. When all is done I really would like to drive to Counts Custom in Vegas and have "Horney Mike" paint yellow stripes or smiling skulls on the side. Since that is not practical and affordable, how about a local striper to do yellow with some red flames?

Seriously. I hope to do something if I can get through hunting season without doing too much damage to the truck. My pattern lately has not been very good at avoiding damage during hunting season. Will see.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for some reason i read local stripper....
You are only one "p" for having them both. Just remember, one has a fixed price and you enjoy the results for a long time. The other can cost you over and over with the fun lasting only a short time.

Red, white and blue flames anyone?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wow great looking truck congrats. I'm sure it will tow like a dream on your long hauls. Pretty much my favorite engine of any new vehicle sold. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can get cab mounted lights for a 1500 Ram from Mopar in a kit. The rub is that you have to drill 8 holes into the roof of your truck! I'm too squeamish to try that, and I worry about 8 extra holes for water to leak in.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I really like that accessory tree you have planted on the roof. I am thinking orange lights for Haloween and multi[colored for Christmas, red white and blue for Memorial Day and 4th of July. What a great idea Cap!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like that accessory tree you have planted on the roof. I am thinking orange lights for Haloween and multi[colored for Christmas, red white and blue for Memorial Day and 4th of July. What a great idea Cap!
You're crazy as a loon. Of course there might be merit to those ideas. I looked and they are orange in the night. Halloween is coming soon.

Actually was objecting to those lights because of the extra $100 they cost and all the holes in the roof. I also mentioned to the sales manager how hard it will be to clean and wax between them. Even wiping off the water when washing gets complicated. The good thing there is the roof does not have all those stupid ridges the 1500 has that mess up the water wiping. I use a squeegee on a pole to dry the roof of my vehicles and the ridges and lights mess that up big time. You need those side steps just to wash the vehicle and care for it. I demanded a price reduction for that.

The sales manager gave me the impression he thought I was cockoo.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mopar lights. Then hired local GM dealerships bodyshop to install them.. Think they charged me 300 bucks.
I bought the guy a nice new drill bit , and personally saw him paint the holes. No leaks. He liked the Mopar kit better than GM'S, as it comes with a big paper drill template to tape to roof. No measuring.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Captain, you're really making me jealous!

While I love the ED, runs great, I keep coming back to our 10 week trip this spring. While the RV TT was not that heavy, it was all the stuff a guy wants to bring along, extra tire, tools, tool box, coolers, the blocks of wood, firewood, extra clothes (that we did not need) and a lot of other "stuff" one thinks he/she needs on such a long trip. It really adds up and I was close to brink on weight and what my new Kurt WDH would/could handle. My bars are 1000-1400 lb rated, but anymore or less on the chains and I was out of range, either not enough on the front axle, or too much. A bigger trailer would help to get stuff out of the box.

A 3/4 ton truck would be nice. I like the road clearance you have. And while towing, I don't think I'd lose much mileage.

I like the running lights too, nice touch. Nice running boards too.

Yup, you got me thinking about moving up.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Captain, you're really making me jealous!

While I love the ED, runs great, I keep coming back to our 10 week trip this spring. While the RV TT was not that heavy, it was all the stuff a guy wants to bring along, extra tire, tools, tool box, coolers, the blocks of wood, firewood, extra clothes (that we did not need) and a lot of other "stuff" one thinks he/she needs on such a long trip. It really adds up and I was close to brink on weight and what my new Kurt WDH would/could handle. My bars are 1000-1400 lb rated, but anymore or less on the chains and I was out of range, either not enough on the front axle, or too much. A bigger trailer would help to get stuff out of the box.

A 3/4 ton truck would be nice. I like the road clearance you have. And while towing, I don't think I'd lose much mileage.

I like the running lights too, nice touch. Nice running boards too.

Yup, you got me thinking about moving up.
It will be a move "up" as it is much higher. For towing it is obviously a major change in capacity and power. I mean MAJOR. Not sure it's a positive move related to fuel mileage if that is a major issue. Right today I am just over 300 miles with way too much idling and playing plus local runs. When I had it on the highway I can only look at the EVIC for mileage. I am showing mid-18's with all that fussing. At 75 mph it runs around 1,750 rpm. I have tried to watch the instant at that speed and if runs from 15 - 25 mpg. Slower I have seen it sitting near or at 30 mpg.

Sorry I can't give you a better evaluation but I just have not had a chance to actually run the darn thing. Not sure when that will happen.

One thing I do know is the factory tune and emissions are not as damaging to the motor as with the Ecodiesel. If there was something like GDE for the Cummins, I would have it already. Never read a hint from anyone that it exists. Staying stock until or unless I find something.

Another issue is pricing. The Cummins is a 9 grand option. Yet, my vehicle was about 5-6 grand more than I projected the 2020 Ecodiesel to come in at. Discounts suck on the 2500's compared to the 1500's. Resale is much higher. Much.

I flat out loved my Ecodiesel. It ran great and really did do the 26-30 mpg I talked about. The wife never adapted to the smaller vehicle and lower power levels. She was always appalled and feared the temperature issues I had towing up mountains and the slower speeds I was forced to run. Her nagging on that issue did not get "under my skin" but did start digging a hole I was tired of justifying. Frankly, I liked my Ecodiesel. This one - so solid and capable it should grow on me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I sure loved the 1500 when we had it. Just a great vehicle and very capable for what it was. But man is there no comparison when the trailer is hooked up to the HD, there is just nothing.

One thing I wish I had on mine was those clearance lights. They are classy!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sure loved the 1500 when we had it. Just a great vehicle and very capable for what it was. But man is there no comparison when the trailer is hooked up to the HD, there is just nothing.

One thing I wish I had on mine was those clearance lights. They are classy!
If I could get mine off at no expense, you could have them. I object to those lights as extra baggage and holes with bulbs that could cause trouble. Looks really do not mean squat to me. Practical operation and ease of operation is important. I want to go from point A to point B with as little hassle as possible. I can and have done it without all those cameras, heated and cooled seats, leather, color coordinations, giant sound systems, phone and text information, huge TV screens, shadowed lights and a million buttons to confuse. Hope to keep on doing it for a long as possible. I call those lights and all the other stuff people buy today, "fluff". Broken down with an unreliable engine stuck with emissions equipment failure is bad and all the "fluff' in the world is not gonna get you towed home.

SOURDO - If you read this my old Cummins, pulling the exact toy hauler I have today, got near the same fuel mileage as the Ecodiesel. Think when you hit hills the Ecodiesel took a "foot to the floor" to keep going. It aways downshifted and ran high rpm's to keep on trucking. Now my old Cummins was a manual transmission. On mountain grades out West I often went to 5th gear out of 6th for the pulls. It flat out pulled with no strain up most. That was a major contrast with the Ecodiesel. This '19 may stay in 6th gear as I sure can feel the power in my brief experience so far. Guessing also it will pull the steepest under 2,000 rpm easily. That rpm is over 80 mph in 6th gear with my 3:73's. Probably never get past 1,600 rpm maybe. Thinking that will reduce fuel consumption and make the towing mpg quite close to the Ecodiesel.

No comparison unloaded. Will know more there after 4-6,000 miles. Right in the book it talks of that much mileage for full break-in of the engine. I just turned 300 so am a long way off for that information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts