RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the high end head unit with premium audio package that consists of better speakers and a subwoofer. I had expected premium sound from the premium sound package but it's really not that great. The high end is particularly lousy. I'm not asking for thunder watts, I'd just like to hear decent quality sound at reasonable listening levels. So I did some research and found that Ram sells some speaker upgrade kits, google 77kick42, but surprisingly they aren't the right impedance. So you'd be removing 2 Ohm speakers and replacing them with 4 Ohm speakers. Unless the new speakers are incredibly efficient this would mean that the speakers wouldn't be as loud. So it's hard to understand how I could get more high end by replacing lousy tweeters with better ones that aren't loud enough.

Note that everyone that did buy the 4 Ohm 77kick42 upgrade, that replaces door and dash speakers, seems to like the kit.

So I did some more poking around for replacement dash speakers and found a couple outfits selling 3.5" coax 2 Ohm speakers. The ones I bought are Infinity Reference 3022cf, but there's others that meet the same spec. Then I poked around trying to find a wiring kit that would make the speaker plug and play. Crutchfield's website is supposed to select the right wiring kit for your car, but we'll have to see how it works out when they arrive. Their website pointed me towards a $10 kit for the Ram, but their follow on email calls it a Mazda kit so who knows.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more... the. system needs an upgrade, the factory sub is shit and sounds hollow the front speakers sounds very cheap anything over. 50-60% volume. I'm looking at Phoenix gold upgrades maybe a couple 10's in that cubby underneath the back seats and all the other 9 replaced and gently amped.

Don't need a thundering system just clear articulated distortion free sound wwould be awesome!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i did the upgrade but wasn't expecting any miracles, after all the upgrade i think for the 9 speaker was $225 (US); i did it to (hopefully) make it easier to do aftermarket upgrades. still that sucks if it totally blows...

·
Registered
120 Posts
i did the upgrade but wasn't expecting any miracles, after all the upgrade i think for the 9 speaker was $225 (US); i did it to (hopefully) make it easier to do aftermarket upgrades. still that sucks if it totally blows...
Did it for the same reason, try to reduce the amount of fabrication necessary to get some boom in the ride. Figure with some good speakers and amps to push the wattage, should be np.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's not garbage I would say.... it's good for a factory system.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not garbage I would say.... it's good for a factory system.
Then yours must be better than mine. I have my bass turned way down, midrange down a little and treble turned up 3bars. Still can't really hear cymbols. The sound isn't "bright."

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya exactly it's not crisp at all.... when I said good for a factory system I was basing that on experience with other vehicles i'v owned/buddies vehicles....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I find the sound quality changes depending on the media i'm using. If i'm using the Bluetooth from my phone i have much better sound quality then if i play music using the SD card and rely on the built in 3 band equalizer; it's defiantly not as good. I was kinda disappointed in that it only had the 3 band equalizer..

I too did upgrade to the uconnect 8.4 with 9 amplified speakers with sub woofer.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the Infiniti speakers tonight. The install kit isn't really necessary but for only $10 it does make the install a bit more convenient. Was very quick to install the speakers. The sound is much more bright now. Definitely worth doing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I find the 5.0 system I have in the truck generates the best sound I have heard out of any truck I've owned. Believe me, I've spent thousands upgrading stock sound systems in my vehicles. In this case, I don't see a need to. imho

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with Sparks, but maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am wondering if I missed the boat on this this option when I ordered. I ordered the Laramie. The demo Laramie I drove had what seemed to be a pretty good set of tunes. As far as I know, mine has the high end head unit. Was there an additional speaker upgrade I could have done ?

I don't have a VIN yet, so maybe its not too late if there is "best premium" sound option ?

I have the high end head unit with premium audio package that consists of better speakers and a subwoofer. I had expected premium sound from the premium sound package but it's really not that great. The high end is particularly lousy. I'm not asking for thunder watts, I'd just like to hear decent quality sound at reasonable listening levels. So I did some research and found that Ram sells some speaker upgrade kits, google 77kick42, but surprisingly they aren't the right impedance. So you'd be removing 2 Ohm speakers and replacing them with 4 Ohm speakers. Unless the new speakers are incredibly efficient this would mean that the speakers wouldn't be as loud. So it's hard to understand how I could get more high end by replacing lousy tweeters with better ones that aren't loud enough.

Note that everyone that did buy the 4 Ohm 77kick42 upgrade, that replaces door and dash speakers, seems to like the kit.

So I did some more poking around for replacement dash speakers and found a couple outfits selling 3.5" coax 2 Ohm speakers. The ones I bought are Infinity Reference 3022cf, but there's others that meet the same spec. Then I poked around trying to find a wiring kit that would make the speaker plug and play. Crutchfield's website is supposed to select the right wiring kit for your car, but we'll have to see how it works out when they arrive. Their website pointed me towards a $10 kit for the Ram, but their follow on email calls it a Mazda kit so who knows.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, to what speakers did you replace?

And did you use the RAM upgrades AND the Infinities, or was the RAM upgrade something you came across, but you went with only the Infinities?

The $10 install kit from Crutchfield - did it render this a plug and play install?
Per the first post I replaced the 2 dash speakers with Infinities. I didn't go with the Ram upgrade because their impedance was wrong and didn't think I needed the door speakers that came with the 77Kick42 kit.

The Crutchfield wiring kit was the right one so did simplify the project a little. Part # 12071039.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Per the first post I replaced the 2 dash speakers with Infinities. I didn't go with the Ram upgrade because their impedance was wrong and didn't think I needed the door speakers that came with the 77Kick42 kit.

The Crutchfield wiring kit was the right one so did simplify the project a little. Part # 12071039.
Thanks Ranger. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey guy's for those of you that don't like the sound quality what are you using as a music source? MP3's? Sirus/XM? ( beleive is only 128kbps), how does your favorite CD sound for those that have the CD drive option?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I didn't get the cd option, although I wish I did now,i am planning on installing an after market dvd/cd with a pick.

Xm never really sounds amazing but the radio and mp3 is what I am basing my observations on, it's not a bag system at all its actually really good for factory, I just want better, east hamiton radio did my last truck and it was just pure, makes going to the drive in super fun!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guy's for those of you that don't like the sound quality what are you using as a music source? MP3's? Sirus/XM? ( beleive is only 128kbps), how does your favorite CD sound for those that have the CD drive option?
I use MP3's via the SD card input and Sirius. Both sounded the same.....no high end.

I'm not an audiophile, 128kbps is fine for me. I'm pretty sure that any difference I detected between 128kbps vs. high bit rates would be purely imaginary. Kind of like a butt-dyno. If other people are sure they can detect the difference, more power to them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
128kbps can sound really bad on a good home system. Low bit rate MP3's tend to muddle the high frequencies. Although usually the symptoms are some what different than what you described. Usually the high end sounds like it is sizzling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts