RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after reading about and being interested in the ecodiesel for the last few months I finally took a trip down to my only local dealer. I wasn't expecting them to have an ecodiesel on the lot, but to my surprise they not only had two but one of them was nearly the exact configuration and color I wanted. Then they showed me the sticker...

The absolute lowest they would go was just north of $59k. Still well above MSRP.

So now I'm wondering where I should go from here? Can anyone recommend a dealership in western Canada that might be more willing to negotiate the price to somewhere around or below MSRP?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry I can not help you with where to go as I am from the states. But MSRP would be 72,353 that is will all the options. the 53,295 price tag on your window sticker is the base price with out any options and no ecodiesel. So 13,000 off MSRP is not bad in my eyes for the prices I have seem in Canada.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's the "dealer installed accessories and mark up" and all the bold items that look shady to me. Seems they tacked on a few extra dollars here all over that spec sheet. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just bought nearly the same rig for 47k before rebates and tax and the MSRP was just under 55k. No sunroof or OWL tires, but otherwise it looks nearly identical. Keep shopping.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I can not help you with where to go as I am from the states. But MSRP would be 72,353 that is will all the options. the 53,295 price tag on your window sticker is the base price with out any options and no ecodiesel. So 13,000 off MSRP is not bad in my eyes for the prices I have seem in Canada.
I should have mentioned in my first post that the price I get building this exact configuration on the Ram Canada website is $57k. I assumed that would be the starting point of negotiations, apparently the dealership thought $72k seemed reasonable. After mentioning this and even building this exact configuration on the ram site they basically told me that they can't sell it for MSRP as they wouldn't make any money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What city are you in sorry if I missed the details, but if your in Ontario, there is a terrific dealer in Burlington that I would not hesitate to recommend. I have a factory order with them, and am hoping to receive the truck something in July.

Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
I should have mentioned in my first post that the price I get building this exact configuration on the Ram Canada website is $57k. I assumed that would be the starting point of negotiations, apparently the dealership thought $72k seemed reasonable. After mentioning this and even building this exact configuration on the ram site they basically told me that they can't sell it for MSRP as they wouldn't make any money.
That would correspond to $53,161 USD. Some dealers down here in California are marking up 10k over MSRP. Apparently they actually sell some...:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would really question the $5800 in installed accessories as well as the destination and paper work fee. From what they list as accessories you should be in $2000 ball park not the $5800.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so after reading about and being interested in the ecodiesel for the last few months i finally took a trip down to my only local dealer. I wasn't expecting them to have an ecodiesel on the lot, but to my surprise they not only had two but one of them was nearly the exact configuration and color i wanted. Then they showed me the sticker...

the absolute lowest they would go was just north of $59k. Still well above msrp.

So now i'm wondering where i should go from here? Can anyone recommend a dealership in western canada that might be more willing to negotiate the price to somewhere around or below msrp?
try dave smith chrysler..ram in kellog,idaho usa

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do not walk away....but run! Something is seriously off. My fully loaded (all options including RAM box etc..) Limited ED has a sticker of $72K + taxes. Don't have the paperwork handy but I think I will end up paying something like $ 53K or so.. Truck should be here any day. Will update as soon as it is delivered.

·
Registered
213 Posts
-JD- First of all, why don't you post your location, at least your province in your personal information. That would help other readers.
2nd. I think they are way out to lunch on their pricing and trying to take advantage of the eco-diesel. My loaded Longhorn Limited (everything except ram boxes) had a factory sticker price of $70,500 plus the dealer charges $600 for what they call a "Northern pkg" which includes mud flaps and undercoating. In Canada every Ram buyer gets the basic discount of $8500 and most buyers are eligible for the additional $1500 rebate (see the newspaper ads) and then the dealer can discount from there. My price after discount and rebate was just under $55K and that is for the Limited.
I don't think buying in the USA is an option for Canadian buyers on new vehicles, but you should be able to do just as good buying in Canada. PM me if you want my dealers contact information.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I wouldnt buy a bottle of water from that dealer even if they lowered the price, the fact that they still tried to rip you off in the first place is disgusting. I bought a fully loaded limited with a msrp approaching 70k and shopped around and ended up getting it ordered for 49702+hst all other fees included in that cost!
Go with a volume dealer, thats where you will get your beat price.
If you are in ontario or are will to fly and drive pm me ill shoot you the info of ontarios biggest dealer, they can hook you up! Myself and 2 buddies have bought from this dealer after shopping around alot!

And go back to that dealer and kick that a**hole salesmanright in the dick for trying to rip you off, what an ass*ole
what a slimeball

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Two dealers in the Tampa area add "market adjustment" price additions to the trucks. They must sell.

I found out from a guy that was shopping so it's not first-hand. I am not surprised based on my experience with one of the dealers.

If I were you I probably still could not run but surely could get away somehow.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got the same truck in Ottawa minus the sunroof for approx. $47K or $53K tax's in. Now this is after all the rebate hocus-pocus. So yea tell that dealer to make like a bird and "flock off". I know it is a far trip for you but if you are interested, I can hook you up with my local dealer, shipping is an option as well. I know the truck market is booming out west (think oil patch) so that might have something to do with it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
While I'm all for dealer bashing, lets examine this.

The 72k is misleading, as that's pre-incentives. The OP stated the best price was $59k, which is between $6 and $10k more than other Twoonie-touters have posted. The difference seems tome mostly from that $5800 markup. As suggested, get an itemized list.

Even the best dealers have something they add to goose profits. My folks, Dave Smith, gave me a great deal. Even found another $500 discount yesterday for me, on top of all the other incentives, plus a grand the dealership agreed to kick in due to an early process snafu. And yet... along the way...I learn they charge $300 to tint the front windows, and do it on every truck, automatically. I could say no, obviously, but I'm a custom order. Otherwise, there's an extra $300 from your pocket. Actual cost to them? About $25.

While the $5800 here is over the top, I don't begrudge a dealership making money on a sale. They are a business, they need to stay open and they sell non-essential, high cost goods. Without them, and the money to the economy... blah, blah, blah... you all understand the rest of this.

To the OP, if you are seriously shopping for a truck, contact the members who have offered to help you locate a solid dealer. You're a member of this community, and that has benefits... chief among them, people willing to help you save some of your monopoly money. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I purchased pretty much the same build - except for:

1) Paint colour - I went with Granite Silver Metallic.
2) Tires - left at default.

Not sure what my Sticker price was - but I bought the Truck for 51788.00 plus tax. I also had a trade, but that was calculated after we had agreed on purchase price. I had 3 dealers all agree to this price (the sticking point was the trade in).

Not sure where you are, but I would start contacting as many dealers as you can, via email. Get yourself a Car Cost Canada report (wholesale price compared to Retail) and start negotiating from the wholesale, minus any incentives, and minus holdback (usually 3% of sticker).

Hit the high volume dealers. Tell them you are serious, and shopping around. You want their best price and no games. The ones that respond and actually give you a quote, are most likely the ones you want to deal with. Those who want you to come in - not so much.

However - you might have a hard time getting any dealer to budge - demand for the Truck is high - and dealers know that now.

I should also advise I only qualified for the $8500 incentive. I tried to work the same deal that Chris got - but he qualified for a few other incentives that I did not - so best I could get at the dealer for a limited was 53K.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies guys. This forum has been great for researching and answering a lot of questions about the trucks in general. Great to get so many responses when it comes to buying too!

I should have mentioned earlier I am in the BC interior. I'd rather not have to go cross country to get a decent deal, but I'll keep it in mind if I can't find anything better on this side of the country. Going to start by getting a quote from as many dealers in the BC interior as I can. If I have no luck with that I'll expand my search a bit to the Vancouver and Calgary areas, and if that doesn't work then I've always wanted to drive across Canada! haha!

I have a few configuration questions I am hoping someone can answer; I wanted the laramie limited as I prefer the color matched bumpers but I do not want the air suspension as I will most likely install a lift on the truck. Is it true that the limited can no longer be ordered without the air suspension?
Also, the dealership told me that you cannot get an ecodiesel with the rambox's at this time. Is that true?

Last, when requesting pricing from various dealerships should I be contacting the dealers directly via phone or email, or should I just build & price on the Ram website and use their 'request a quote' option?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Keep in mind you can ship a vehicle as well if the local pricing is out of whack.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just noticed that the price for the leather bucket seat upgrade is listed on the invoice I posted, as well as the one posted by Strowrum at $1200. The ram website now lists it as a $1400 option. I wonder when that changed?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts