RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Sticks in low gear occasionally - 2020 Ram ED 34,000 miles

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  97hmcs 
#1 ·
Random issue but concerning when pulling out and on to a "spirited" road. Only does this like once a month or so. Truck fully warmed up and live in Cen. Fla.
I will sometimes stop at a stop sign or a traffic light and take off only to find the truck stays in low gear. Two ways to get out of it.
I either have to pull over, shut down, re-start and go or just found out I can slip it into neutral while rolling and back into drive and it will shift.
Also noticed around the time it does this that it will not go into OD like it usually does. It will either stay out of OD longer or you have to speed up to mid 50mph range to get it to shift into OD.
Anyone else have this issue?

#3 ·
Welcome (y) I have not had my Eco do this but I did own a 2500 that had some crazy transmission rituals, ending up being a questionable ground, Luckily the truck did not have but 13,762 grounding points and only 3 or 4 under the head-liner😬 hoping you get it resolved quicker than my 2500 was repaired, the 50 MPH mark was the exact same on my truck, drove me crazy driving through 35-45 MPH zones, could speed up to 52-55 let off and it would finally change gears/OD or lockup

Reactions: Captainmal
#4 ·
Horrible. Bet that rarely to never happened with manual transmissions.

We have allowed computer control to control oh so much of our operations. Checking thousands of grounding points would be unreasonable. No clue as your issue is something maybe never reported here before.

#5 ·
Hey Pappy!,

If you decide to take this into your dealer for diagnosis, please reach out to us! We're available via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares

#8 ·
I have replied to Ram Cares and hope they will assist in getting the issue taken care of. Love the truck. Had a 2015 that failed me too many times. Did my homework on the changes to the engine platform and traded for the Gen3. Am at the age where I am hoping this truck will be the last one I need. Fingers crossed.

#11 ·
Sorry for not replying sooner. It has happened again since the thread was started. Usually do not have my hands anywhere near the minus button on the wheel. Good thought though. The other more common transmission issue is not shifting into OD unless I accelerate up to around 55mph or so. This happens after I stop for a while then get back in the truck and go again. Engine still warm. Roads in Florida are pretty much straight and definitely not hilly down here in the sand pile.

#14 ·
No problem. I hope you figure it out. The only reason I mentioned the shift button is because it happened to me once and like you said: "pull over, shut down, re-start and go or just found out I can slip it into neutral while rolling and back into drive and it will shift" will get the trans back to normal. Good luck. Please keep us updated.

#13 ·
I have a 2020 Tradesman 2WD Eco Diesel, and I'm a Snowbird in Sun City, AZ for the winter. I have
had the "stuck in low gear" one time during last winter. I drove about 1/2 mile to the stop sign on
99th Avenue, stopped, and as I pulled out making a left turn to 99th Ave North, my truck stayed in
low gear. I just pulled over, stopped, put transmission in PARK, and shut off Engine. On re-start
everything worked fine. Haven't had the problem since. Stock Truck, with 42.5K miles now.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.