RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flights were getting messed up coming out of south Florida, so I decided to drive to a couple races in Atlanta and Indianapolis over the next few weeks. Bad ABS module that seems to be on national back order, all my dash lights lit up with no cruise control. An un-blown up 2014 ED in the wild still getting almost 30 mpg averaging 70 mph. This will probably calc to 28.5 or so at the pump.

I would really like a new truck but this one still surprises me from time to time.
Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Odometer Light

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Nice. 3.55s? tuned? Order you a new one while you still can. After it comes you can easy sell that one out right for good coin. I have a trailer to take to Fort Meyers but lol its been put on the back of the list.

Reactions: snowshoemaker

·
Registered
2015 Ram ED Longhorn 4x4 3.55
47 Posts
Nice! I am getting a solid 18 LOL. Love seeing yours going! Good luck on your venture out. Still in Seminole watching the rain pick up now.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Nice! I am getting a solid 18 LOL. Love seeing yours going! Good luck on your venture out. Still in Seminole watching the rain pick up now.
How is that even possible? I've did better than that towing.

Is your truck sporting 33's / Lift Kit / Snow plow attached / 3.92 / Mud Tires / Bed filled with iron pipe 24 /7 ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
How is that even possible?
Which part? If its the 18, then I dont know. I just got the truck Monday and have been doing runs for storm support so roughly 45-50MPH no real load and occasional red light.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Which part? If its the 18, then I dont know. I just got the truck Monday and have been doing runs for storm support so roughly 45-50MPH no real load and occasional red light.
The 18 mpg? I had mine for over 8 years never less than 24 mpg on the 2nd FCA degraded tune.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 18 mpg? I had mine for over 8 years never less than 24 mpg on the 2nd FCA degraded tune.
Good to know. I havent said much on the forum about it since I am still getting used to the truck. The 30k trip b showed average 18.2 and the 4k trip 8 showed 17.8. Since I took it over I have been holding right around 18, but like I said, I am doing storm prep so I just assumed it was normal for now. I will do more investigating next week when things calm down here. I also want to bring it to my dealer to have them do a once over since I picked it up from a GM dealer.

Mostly, I have been watching threads like this one and seeing hope for mine :D

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Good to know. I havent said much on the forum about it since I am still getting used to the truck. The 30k trip b showed average 18.2 and the 4k trip 8 showed 17.8. Since I took it over I have been holding right around 18, but like I said, I am doing storm prep so I just assumed it was normal for now. I will do more investigating next week when things calm down here. I also want to bring it to my dealer to have them do a once over since I picked it up from a GM dealer.

Firstly WELCOME to the forum and congrats on that new to you rig. Five things I'd suggest although others may have mentioned.

Key Points:
1. OEM Fuel & Oil filter - stick with this and you'll be good.
2. Fuel filter (suggested) change interval every 20k / Oil 10k is fine stick with the proven Shell Rotella T6
3. GDE Tune / get the added horsepower and better MPG advantage as well as protecting your engine from recirculating soot back into the engine.
4. Wheel bearings at 100k regardless it's just good insurance.
5. Hot Shots Diesel extreme will give your fuel system the added lubricity to protect your very expensive fuel system and keep it proper operationally.

Congrats 🤠

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Welcome to the forum Florida AF.

The chitty mileage (ED relative as it would be good for a gasser) my guess two fold. 1. Running the AEM government detune. 2. Heavy stiff E load all terrain tires. Some say you can invest in your diesel or pay the consequences. To include mileage, maintenance, problems, repairs, downtime, oh yea and lack of power.

GDE's current tune no longer turns off the soot recirculator to keep your engine and oil clean. However their new government compliant tune does clean up the fuel management so much that you end up with much less diesel in your oil so it's still a very good thing. This is also why there is a market for their old tunes. EOC also has tunes with the option of turning the EGR off or leaving it on for US government compliance. Note EGR is not needed to meet emissions output requirements only that having it functioning is an EPA requirement. Apparently they really want to destroy our diesels. Hope your place and things weather the storm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice. 3.55s? tuned? Order you a new one while you still can. After it comes you can easy sell that one out right for good coin. I have a trailer to take to Fort Meyers but lol its been put on the back of the list.
3.55’s, has newest gen GDE tune. I find I fluctuate 3-4 mpg due to 2 things primarily, tire pressure and oil level. If I run the oil level after I change it right at “max” line, I will lose 1-1.5 mpg over what I would get if it was right in the middle between the “min” and “max” line. Call me crazy on that one, but give it a try some time.

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Good info thanks. Heavy multi layered stiff sidewall to flex as it rolls down the road with high roll resistant tread such as many E load ATs vs standard / HD load tires with low roll resistance tread is often 2 - 2.5 mpg in itself. Especially if you are running a lower pressure so that it is not so stiff and harsh riding. I tow moderate (1/2 ton relative) weight with a big wind sail effect. Yet I have not seen much benefit to running E loads until I am putting 8k plus weight on the truck axles.

Even then if the WDH is setup well the truck tires do not wallow or mushy move around (with proper air pressure) so while I have run many E load tires I do not find them beneficial for my needs. I realize some people will disagree with that but I suspect you will find those individuals do not have a handle on setting up weight distribution. The caveat of "worth it" would be if you load your bed heavy and regularly run on rougher terrain ie rough cut gravel roads possibly muddy fire trails etc. Mine certainly is a highway truck.

I think the oil level can make a measurable distance. Hauling Grass or other members can probably tell you why specifically. I have not done any mileage tests as to oil level but I am going to start paying attention to that. I know I have seen it in past dyno tests where full mark vs add mark on different engines shows a loss in at the wheels power.

Dig my ED despite its flaws but I have to say my son's 2022 ED is a hands down better truck. Ram has certainly addressed the issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vern, I work in Motorsports, specifically road racing. In that arena, Michelin tires are the best by a lot. I use their road tires with good success, I like the defender line with a D rating. I set them at 44 psi all around, which is the max pressure spec’ed on the sidewall. I rotate every oil change, and get around 50-55k out of a set before they are smoked enough where I don’t want to be on them in the Florida rain and crazy drivers down here.

MAS,i know it sounds odd, but it seems like it works for me. Maybe one day if I get free time I never have I will try a controlled experiment on that

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
704 Posts

What size and model tires? that will tell a lot... I lost 4mpg overall and like 6 mpg on the highway just going from the 31.5" to the 34.5" version of the same 4 ply tire with a bilstein strut lift lift raising the front almost 5" and the back 6" with 2" lift shocks (previous owner had it lowered 2/4 front back) Some folks never get their tire size reprogrammed so they go by inaccurate mileage and mpg.. just for the record, I tried out some 10ply 34" tires for about 4 months while waiting for my backordered nitto G2s and when I went from the 10ply 34 to the 4ply 34s I did pick up a solid 1.5mpg ymmv..

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
It’s interesting. From what I heard they compared by their words way too much oil and probably not enough. What does stock level equate too in way too much etc?

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
704 Posts
It’s interesting. From what I heard they compared by their words way too much oil and probably not enough. What does stock level equate too in way too much etc?
I saw the whole episode and they did in fact find that even with the stock level there was power loss compared to being low on the dipstick. Their point validated things such as performance windage trays and dry sump systems.

·
Registered
21 1500 ED Limited 4x4
85 Posts
Very interesting... Is that the reason Stella only filled to 1/4 above low end?

Who is going to take their Truck in to a Dyno to test this?

Wondering how MPG is affected by the extra HP if at all or if it has no affect at all because of the Diesel's power curve?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts