RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Nice! I am getting a solid 18 LOL. Love seeing yours going! Good luck on your venture out. Still in Seminole watching the rain pick up now.
How is that even possible? I've did better than that towing.

Is your truck sporting 33's / Lift Kit / Snow plow attached / 3.92 / Mud Tires / Bed filled with iron pipe 24 /7 ?

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Which part? If its the 18, then I dont know. I just got the truck Monday and have been doing runs for storm support so roughly 45-50MPH no real load and occasional red light.
The 18 mpg? I had mine for over 8 years never less than 24 mpg on the 2nd FCA degraded tune.

Reactions: MR. TED

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Good to know. I havent said much on the forum about it since I am still getting used to the truck. The 30k trip b showed average 18.2 and the 4k trip 8 showed 17.8. Since I took it over I have been holding right around 18, but like I said, I am doing storm prep so I just assumed it was normal for now. I will do more investigating next week when things calm down here. I also want to bring it to my dealer to have them do a once over since I picked it up from a GM dealer.

Mostly, I have been watching threads like this one and seeing hope for mine :D
Firstly WELCOME to the forum and congrats on that new to you rig. Five things I'd suggest although others may have mentioned.

Key Points:
1. OEM Fuel & Oil filter - stick with this and you'll be good.
2. Fuel filter (suggested) change interval every 20k / Oil 10k is fine stick with the proven Shell Rotella T6
3. GDE Tune / get the added horsepower and better MPG advantage as well as protecting your engine from recirculating soot back into the engine.
4. Wheel bearings at 100k regardless it's just good insurance.
5. Hot Shots Diesel extreme will give your fuel system the added lubricity to protect your very expensive fuel system and keep it proper operationally.

Congrats 🤠

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Took a road trip from St. Pete to Gainesville Saturday. Reset all my stuff and topped of the tank. Solid 17.9 MPGs there and back. Funning thing is this was on the dash and hand calculated, so I guess one good thing is it is consistent. :/

The trip there was higher speeds and low traffic. The trip back was darn near stop and go the whole time due to game traffic. So, I definetely need to dive into this truck more and find out why it runs so terrible. I did confirm with GDE that this VIN was not in their system, so next payday that will change. I am loving seeing OP/s and commenters running much higher MPG's so I know it something to this truck specifically.
Hand calc is definitely the way to go, I never found the trucks evic to be that far off. Let's see the first thing I noticed was your speed which 78 mph, now I usually kept mine around 72 mph and still managed 30 mpg but so we need to consider all the variables on how your truck is setup, you did configure it for off road use correct? Would you care to share some specifics i'm sure others might have some observations and suggestions.

· Registered
1,822 Posts

· Registered
1,822 Posts
before:
View attachment 93044

And after is now updated... I just read my comment again, it could sound less than positive, that was not intent.

Hopefully the changes onceI hit post are more aligned and useful. I would love to see even the differencein my mpg to the OP's.
That's spot on but I do have a suggestion so as not to take away from the op's intent. How about a new thread where you can share specifics on your new to you rig so we can collectively chime in with suggestions? It would give you an opportunity to ask other specific questions you might have as well.

I did see the picture that is a nice looking rig 👊.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts