RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so I have a stock ECM out of a 2016 ram that I’m looking to sell. I have an ECM that has a GDE hot tune that is currently in the truck. And I know I know I should have just exchange it for the core charge. However I was worried about passing the inspection in my state, long story short, the truck passed and I don’t have to put all the stock parts, including the ECM back in the truck. I’m not sure what a good asking price is, but if anyone is interested in the ECM send me a message and we can figure out a price. Thanks for reading! I can also be reached quickly and easily through my IG account @kcbouchard

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I were you I would hold on to it.

If you for sure want to sell it, look through some of the previous listings here to get an idea of the going rate. Probably $300-400.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were you I would hold on to it.

If you for sure want to sell it, look through some of the previous listings here to get an idea of the going rate. Probably $300-400.
Right on, thanks for the info. I’ve held on to it for a while if someone offered me around that pricing I would certainly sell it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey guys, so I have a stock ECM out of a 2016 ram that I’m looking to sell. I have an ECM that has a GDE hot tune that is currently in the truck. And I know I know I should have just exchange it for the core charge. However I was worried about passing the inspection in my state, long story short, the truck passed and I don’t have to put all the stock parts, including the ECM back in the truck. I’m not sure what a good asking price is, but if anyone is interested in the ECM send me a message and we can figure out a price. Thanks for reading! I can also be reached quickly and easily through my IG account @kcbouchard
I THINK GDE WOULD NEED TO PROGRAM IT FOR ANY OTHER VEHICLE

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
@ KBouchard , welcome to the site ,
are you aware that we will all be getting a new EGR from the FCA recall ( all 2014 to 2019) around Mid April ,
your 2016 will also get that beefier design EGR , when going in to get the EGR replaced you can be sure that the dealer will flash your ECM ,
you will lose your tune , and since sept.18 2019 's EPA crackdown , GDE will no longer replace your tune in your ECM .
using your stock ECM for dealer visits is the only way for you to assure you can keep your precious GDE tune .
many who did the core return are now working hard to find used ECM s and flashing them with their VIN and injector codes
for dealer visits to protect their tune , you already have yours , if you sell it , it may cost you around a $1000 to get a tune again .

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There are a couple reasons to keep it. One is if you have not had the AEM update done yet, you will want to put it back in. The AEM update reflashes the ECM and deletes any tune in the ECM .
Also if there are any future updates or other work you need done at the dealer you could swap it out so you don't lose your tune either by mistake or purposely due to a reflash.
I am in the process of purchasing one myself so I can have the AEM update done.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
@ ecocanada2015 , not only we can refuse , but for us Canadians , we actually have absolutely no valid reason
to let the dealer flash our trucks with the crappy AEM , in USA they get $3075 US and an extended warranty ,
in Canada we get Zero , and run the risk of having the truck run like crap , some reported getting the AEM and not
seeing the bad behavior others reported , to me it is about not getting any perks that US owners get .
No way FCA flashes my truck without extended warranty and $$ for the cheating they did .
----
If I did not keep my stock ECM I would be in panic mode to learn how to use AlfaOBD , get a dongle ,
find a used ECM of the proper year and create a stock ECM for my truck , no regrets that I kept the stock module .

·
Registered
72 Posts
@ ecocanada2015 , not only we can refuse , but for us Canadians , we actually have absolutely no valid reason
to let the dealer flash our trucks with the crappy AEM , in USA they get $3075 US and an extended warranty ,
in Canada we get Zero , and run the risk of having the truck run like crap , some reported getting the AEM and not
seeing the bad behavior others reported , to me it is about not getting any perks that US owners get .
No way FCA flashes my truck without extended warranty and $$ for the cheating they did .
----
If I did not keep my stock ECM I would be in panic mode to learn how to use AlfaOBD , get a dongle ,
find a used ECM of the proper year and create a stock ECM for my truck , no regrets that I kept the stock module .
WILL WE GET A WARRANTE EXTENTION ON OUR TRUCKS AFTER THE EGR RECALL?

·
Registered
303 Posts
“Kazimodo’s Dongle” :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ KBouchard , welcome to the site ,
are you aware that we will all be getting a new EGR from the FCA recall ( all 2014 to 2019) around Mid April ,
your 2016 will also get that beefier design EGR , when going in to get the EGR replaced you can be sure that the dealer will flash your ECM ,
you will lose your tune , and since sept.18 2019 's EPA crackdown , GDE will no longer replace your tune in your ECM .
using your stock ECM for dealer visits is the only way for you to assure you can keep your precious GDE tune .
many who did the core return are now working hard to find used ECM s and flashing them with their VIN and injector codes
for dealer visits to protect their tune , you already have yours , if you sell it , it may cost you around a $1000 to get a tune again .
I have never been not ever will go to a dealer Haha.the best EGR is a non existing one. But thank you for the reply and looking out for my best interests. I may keep the ecm just for good measure. But again if the rift price was offered I would sell it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not going to the dealer is great IF you can get around it. The manufacturers are making ti more and more difficult not to go to the dealers by offering the software need to diagnose problems ONLY to the dealers or making so expensive to a non dealer repair shop that it's not worth buying.
I worked for a heavy equipment dealer and Volvo would only sell their diagnostic software to the dealers and even then it was around $5000 to purchase. When a warning light was on the first step was to plug in the laptop to read codes, without that you were dead in the water.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not going to the dealer is great IF you can get around it. The manufacturers are making ti more and more difficult not to go to the dealers by offering the software need to diagnose problems ONLY to the dealers or making so expensive to a non dealer repair shop that it's not worth buying.
I worked for a heavy equipment dealer and Volvo would only sell their diagnostic software to the dealers and even then it was around $5000 to purchase. When a warning light was on the first step was to plug in the laptop to read codes, without that you were dead in the water.
This is absolutely not true for automotive applications. The existence of the J2534 and CAN interfaces is so that independent shops can have access to the same tools as the dealers.

Buy Mopar Approved Service Information

Provided you have the equipment you can buy account access to the same software that the tech's use. This is mandated by U.S. Law

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
This is absolutely not true for automotive applications. The existence of the J2534 and CAN interfaces is so that independent shops can have access to the same tools as the dealers.

Buy Mopar Approved Service Information

Provided you have the equipment you can buy account access to the same software that the tech's use. This is mandated by U.S. Law
Thanks, good to know.
I was assuming that it was harder to get dealer software mainly because of local shops up here wouldn't work on my Audi many times because they said they didn't have the correct diagnostic programs and I would have to bring it to the dealer.
I guess that they just didn't want to spend the money for the equipment and /or software.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts