RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It was my understanding GDE has always eliminated pilot injection. They've gone on record as saying pilot injection is the #1 largest soot producer in this engine. I know my engine is considerably louder with the GDE tune which supports the removal of pilot injection. The regen frequency is also evidence of the lack of pilot injection with the GDE tune and proof it exists in the SKT tune.

Do you have any data to support your theory of higher oil temps with the GDE tune? Do you monitor and compare EGT's between the tunes?
Ive experienced the same and after lots of research found two aspects. The stock tune has a soft derate at 255 F oil temps which most dont see and gde removes that, but they keep the hard derate at 269 F. The second is shutting off the egr greatly increases in cylinder temps which gde does. But in cylinder temps dont always show up as egts thats just the amount of heat being carried out the exhaust. Pilot injection is a great thing but only when used correctly.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Sorry for being so late. I was busy watching some Kalifornians kicking my Saints' ass(es). :(
claiming GDE has this forum bought and paid for.
Not exactly what he said:
Gde has the forum bought and paid for with many devout followers, and for good reason.
Anyhow, I'm a GDE nutswinger along with most of you. But Gputah has put many hours into this. Each loop would take an absolute minimum of an hour to complete. And then there's the other part that I'm only aware of because I decided to become YouTube famouser: It takes a LONG TIME to edit and upload a video. Sure, there are some YouTubers who can just sit in front of the camera and talk for 20 minutes straight without having to edit anything. I envy them. But in my case, it takes 8-10 hours for me to edit a 20 minute video. Shucks, there's been a couple of times that it took me 2 full days to edit my videos. So y'all give G some credit for that, too. Okay?

Anyhow, since GDE can no longer support the Kalifornia folks, SKT is probably the most viable option for them. And PPEI might just be the best option for the Canucks. Just because we have our favorite doesn't mean others can't have theirs. From the beginning, I've been a fan of GDE for their product and the fact that they have the background--including insider information--that will produce the best tune for my purpose. Perhaps having some competition out there might encourage them to lower the price as has happened in many other markets.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is that a full pedal to the metal romp on it 0-30 from a cold start? It's getting in the low 50s where I'm at now, last week we hit the 40s 2 days in a row. This morning my truck said oil was at 55 degrees when I got in it. Would this be cold enough for the test you have in mind? You said summer time, so I wanted to clarify. This test would be an easy to do and I could do them in the morning, granted temperatures are where you would like to see them. Well, with one of the tunes anyway. I'd have to wait until Tuesday before the truck would be cold enough again.
Yes full pedal for consistency, I should add that when testing post AEM 1/2 pedal or full really didn't make a difference, so little torque was delivered even with 3:91s and stock tires it would spin a tire on dirt UNTIL the tach climbed to 2,000 or 2,100 then it would come alive. Current morning temps would be fine, actually by the time I installed and tested the GDE tune the mornings were a little warmer than when I tested the AEM tune.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Gde does not shut off pilot injection nor do they say they do. They optimize pilot injection to run as clean as possible. The reason gde tunes have a little higher oil temp under heavy load is due to a hotter in cylinder burn which is the result of a cleaner more efficient combustion event. The egr purpose in life is to lower in cylinder combustion events aka keep combustion at or below 2500 F. If your oil runs cooler with sft vs gde then I would seriously question if the egr is actually disabled. In stock trim fca uses pilot injection to run as quiet as possible but they create a lot of soot in the process. But one must also remember fca changes the stock tune often, tuning evolves quickly so one comparison might not apply to the current tuning.
I'm still waiting for my GDE tune to arrive. I've always been very concerned about the oil temps I see while towing my big boat. Do you expect my temps to be even higher with the GDE tune vs. the stock tune? Sounds like it if my EGR will be shut off. I have all the parts for the BIG oil cooler install. Just need to do it. I have one more big tow this season that should be done with the new tune installed. Should be interesting for sure.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I'm still waiting for my GDE tune to arrive. I've always been very concerned about the oil temps I see while towing my big boat. Do you expect my temps to be even higher with the GDE tune vs. the stock tune? Sounds like it if my EGR will be shut off. I have all the parts for the BIG oil cooler install. Just need to do it. I have one more big tow this season that should be done with the new tune installed. Should be interesting for sure.
What temps do you see on your oil? I have run in the low 240's for hours with no issues, my take is its warmer than normal, but easily within the functional parameters of the oil and truck.

I didn't notice much change at all in oil temps pre/post tune.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I get what you are saying. But I don't think a longer trip will make a difference. Maybe just at the pump, but as others clearly pointed out with the skepticism, there are too many variables. According to them, it isn't worth trying because there are just too many variables.... And because of this we might as well just disregard any consistencies we see.
I'll chime in here as I've done a similar comparison for tires on my VW. When I bought new tires, I bought something that was marketed as offering better mileage, Bridgestone Ecopias. I looked at 5000 miles of recorded fills (~10 fills) and mileage before and after putting the new tires on. I was able to show about a 3 mpg increase with the new tires. The higher mileage took a lot of the weather and traffic variables out of the equation. That also ran me from the start of summer blend to the end of summer blend, so no worries about poorer mileage due to the fuel blend. Now I know for your comparisons, 5000 miles on each tune is a lot of miles, but I would be interested in seeing at least a full tank run, or maybe two.

I will add that I do not have a tune and am interested in seeing which tuner offers the overall best package.

After reading a few more pages, I want to add my thanks to Gputah for doing this work too. I know it all takes time in the seat, truck or chair, to pull it all together.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I regularly run well into the upper 250's on nearly flat ground running 68-70mph with the flow of traffic on the hotter summer days. I have pretty much stopped going to our mountain lakes to avoid the climbs. My trailer weight is 8600 pounds. The hottest I've seen is 267 without noticing a loss in power. I used to hear the derate was at 266, now maybe it's 269. I don't know. I'm towing next week from Salt Lake to Temple Bar Marina at Lake Mead. I will set the cruise at 68 like I normally do and back out of it on the hills. Some of these hills are quite steep and long. I'm sure I'll be forced to back well out of it. Our temps are coming down though so that will help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have no soldier in this fight.
in my opinion as a data and tester aficionado myself, your loop is too short and John Bartley's point is correct that the errors in using the pump become less the more fuel you put in the truck. Effectively, the difference between the 3, not just the 2 of tunes is within 2mpg and we could realistically agree a tune is better mpg but maybe not 2? hard to say.

If you ran the tests at midnight, in the same air and humidity (more or less) the wind will be negligible usually and it is the biggest factor.

I have to side with "inconclusive" and that there must have been previous banter for you to make a reply poking the GDE group...... in testing you don't do that, you state the facts so it appears to me as a 3rd party you have an agenda to prove this other company is equal or better than which generates a bias.

this is an example of how to do it.
I went from buffalo to connecticut 4 times. I traveled at night with less than 2mph wind deltas for the duration of the trip and I know that because I have a gauge on my truck and a data logger. I have data on the fuel and it's within 1/5% difference. I traveled with no traffic all 4 times and have less than 1% deviation on time and distance. the only difference of consequence is the fuel additive which resulted in 50% less DEF fluid usage and 2mpg better results and 2 less regens on a full tank. [I have none of that actual data but with the fuel additive in generally the same conditions I am using estimate 30% less DEF fluid and 2mpg gain, however I can quantitatively support it.]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone try the PPEI tunes???
Just thought I would throw one more variable into the pissing match.
I personally priced out all 3 tunes, weighed the options (ease of tune, features of tune, ease of restoring to stock)
After 6 months of research (honestly waiting for check from the settlement) I ended up going with SFT. I have friends with GDE, and friends with PPEI all love their tunes. Only thing I will advise is, no matter who's tune you go with, get EGR delete.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do both tunes solve chunky acceleration issue that shows up after AEM update

GPUtah. After having AEM update in my 2015 ecodiesel I am considering a tune to get back to smooth accelerator response. Do the two tunes solve the chunky pedal response issue that showed up after the AEM update? Is one better noticeably better than other.

Maybe this is covered in some of the videos I did not watch.
Billy

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
GPUtah. After having AEM update in my 2015 ecodiesel I am considering a tune to get back to smooth accelerator response. Do the two tunes solve the chunky pedal response issue that showed up after the AEM update? Is one better noticeably better than other.

Maybe this is covered in some of the videos I did not watch.
Billy
I believe either tune will solve the chunkies. Better grab SFT before they're gone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unless I've been watching the wrong TFL truck YouTube videos; when they do a fuel economy comparison they typically do the fuel up-wait-click topoff and then make a 60 mile trip out and back (120miles). So far I don't see a lot of discrepancies between tunes. They both are getting essentially the same mileage. Why I went with SKT; convenience and excellent customer service. With my laptop and program I can and have updated while traveling. I normally drive using hypermiling techniques that return an avg of 22 city and 32 hwy. My recent 3450 mile trip north through the Rockies with a 4000 lb. Toyhauler resulted in documented avg of 15.5 mpg. I had no issues with constant transmission shifts and never had over temp. I now own a 4600lb 22RR toy hauler and still getting 15 mpg in Texas hill country.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gputah, It sounds like you put a lot of time & effort into your testing. I didn't take the time to view your videos, but there's just too many factors you can't control when testing as you did. Think about wind, temperature, humidity, braking to name a few.
In your comments, I have to totally agree with you concerning environmental conditions, wind, humidity, atmospheric pressures, altitude, it's just like flying a UH1-D, what's my take off ratio today... Here in Oklahoma, get on 412 at West Siloam Springs Arkansas, and head west to the Panhandle, conditions are going to change 20 or 30 times on you... a midnite run is totally different than a noon time 102 with a heat index of 112 degree run... winds in the East will be 10 and out west, hold onto your BVD's, on the Arkansas line with the gulf air moisture, 90% humidity, out west on a dry line, awesome sailing... but just like flying, what's the weather, and which direction are the tree's and prairie grass bending, that is if you see a tree out west... and if you're heading West, you're nose up and gaining altitude... check your altimeter...
My one question here, at what cost or expense will I face to reach perfection in both performance and economy... in other words, in accounting and business, what's the cost and benefit analysis coming to... or the life analysis of such an expenditure... what's the pay back? is it really worth the capital expenditure?

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gputah, It sounds like you put a lot of time & effort into your testing. I didn't take the time to view your videos, but there's just too many factors you can't control when testing as you did. Think about wind, temperature, humidity, braking to name a few.
LMAO , wind,temp,humility etc. Did you test your GDE under all these different conditions to come to your bias towards GDE tune ?
yes or no question here,

·
Registered
344 Posts
LMAO , wind,temp,humility etc. Did you test your GDE under all these different conditions to come to your bias towards GDE tune ?
yes or no question here,

I doubt humility was factored into this lol.

·
Registered
632 Posts
yes or no question here,
You make a good point. In the past when I saw questionable posts about high mileage, etc. claims with a GDE tune I never once saw anyone question those claims. No one ever asked the GDE posters for GPS files, how they pumped the fuel, or said that the distance wasn't long enough, or the tune can't do that, or attack the owner, etc., etc,. The list of confrontations and interrogations regarding SFT posts goes on and on. Now all that crap is mute as those GDE tunes are a thing of the past. Hopefully all the SFT negativism will also be a thing of the past

61 - 80 of 113 Posts