RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
So I haven't had the time to read every comment here, but the OPs original post shows that the two tunes are within (less than) 2 tenths of a MPG. BFD!
So it comes down to which company you are more comfortable spending your money with.
The BFD was with how the test was conducted. It's the consensus of most that not enough miles were driven to create a more accurate average over many tanks of fuel. Without the broader test sample there is just too much room for error.

It does often come down to which company you are more comfortable spending money with. I would hope that company has shown professionalism is in every aspect, from a transparent website to software engineering background to customer support and a solid customer base.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The methods of the test have been hashed over throughout this post and I mostly agree that a 64-mile route is meaningless and that real-world mileage will vary with every driver however if you look at how the EPA tests for mileage, this test was probably better or, at least, more "real world." Again, the BFD is the difference is minimal, so you make your choice based on how you feel about the company and the anecdodal experience and recommendations of others.
I probably would have just stayed with the stock tune until the AEM ruined my truck. I bought the GDE tune and Trans tune last week and now that GDE seems to be closed, I am not sure I made the right decision. I know the product should be good but now I am not sure about the company. I think that it is total crap that they close the doors and don't answer the phone. The next thing you know, their web presense will be gone. Now that is a BFD for all of us who invested n the GDE tunes.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Kinda pointless debating which tune gives better mpgs, The EPA doesn’t care either.... IMOP at this stage of the game , few mpgs vs Sooting the intake and burning holes through the intake manifold and all the other issues associated with soot pumping into the engine it is a MUCH Bigger issue....

Any tune you can still purchase that shuts the soot off , Is the tune to purchase if still available......

NONE of these tuning companies are smarter than Factory Engineers, NOT ONE , I REPEAT NOT ONE ....The Tuning companies where playing by their own rules....

The Rules Have Been Changed ....

·
Registered
892 Posts
The rules haven't changed. It's just that the EPA is starting to enforce the rules that the tuners have either bent or broken.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What do you suggest they do?
Excellent question.

And remember that GDE is a for-profit company with employees and taxes and overhead expenses to pay, At the moment, they are out of business with no assurance of getting back in business. They cannot continue as they were without risking fines and possible jail time. I have sympathy for the plight of the folks who lost their jobs and those who are left who may soon be unemployed.

As far as the plight of GDE's customers is concerned, everyone who bought a tune knew (or should have known) that they were, at best, skirting the law. The fact that the law is now being enforced is somewhat surprising given the history and given the attitude of the current administration regarding environmental protection. But, no one should feel aggrieved. You make your bed, you lay down on it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Once the warranty is up maybe I'll ditch the DPF and pickup another 1-2 mpg.
Once upon a time, the greatest tuner in the land did much testing and found that removal of the DPF did not improve the fuel mileage. I can attest that I did not see any better results than those who have not gone to the extreme that I have.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
The DPF is only a problem when it breaks. That is one thing I would leave alone.

Trouble comes from the EGR system. That is hideously faulty on the Ecodiesel unless shut off and/or removed. The DEF system is also a pain with shutting off and removing easy, if you can tune it out. In my opinion the only system worth keeping on a modern diesel is the DPF. it stops the "rolling coal" crap.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The DPF is only a problem when it breaks. That is one thing I would leave alone.

Trouble comes from the EGR system. That is hideously faulty on the Ecodiesel unless shut off and/or removed. The DEF system is also a pain with shutting off and removing easy, if you can tune it out. In my opinion the only system worth keeping on a modern diesel is the DPF. it stops the "rolling coal" crap.
A lot depends on your view of personal responsibility for what comes out of your tailpipe. EGR and DEF are the primary mechanisms to reduce NOx emissions from a diesel engine. Remove those and you will be exceeding legal limits for NOx, probably by a large multiple.

·
Registered
285 Posts

I just refilled the DEF, which doesn't seem to get much use (only the second tank in about 20k miles).
The EGR is disabled via the tune, I don't think I can remove it without additional tuning (which I guess is unavailable now?)
Now that I read about GDE being out of business I'll be doing my own maintenance on our ED for fear of the dealer flashing the thing and me not being able to send my PCM back to GDE for a re-flash.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
I just refilled the DEF, which doesn't seem to get much use (only the second tank in about 20k miles).
Even with the original factory tune the DEF usage was stated as being able to fill the DEF tank once an oil change(10K miles). That usage is about right unless your towing.

·
Administrator
8,592 Posts
Even with the original factory tune the DEF usage was stated as being able to fill the DEF tank once an oil change(10K miles). That usage is about right unless your towing.
Wasn't it GDE that aligned the DEF refill with the oil change interval?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Awesome comparison! Finally real world results, in as much possible detail. The videos speak for themselves.
Hmmmm, joined 7 hours ago and already 12 replies on tuning threads in support of SFT. Username looks awfully familiar, hmmm lol.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Hmmmm, joined 7 hours ago and already 12 replies on tuning threads in support of SFT. Username looks awfully familiar, hmmm lol.
Are you suggesting this individual maybe posting from an IP out of Las Vegas? The same hometown of SFT? That would raise an eyebrow.
There's been a lot of false information put on here, especially by the admins/Mods. I'm only trying to clear things up for the viewers. Thanks for the opportunity!

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
There's been a lot of false information put on here, especially by the admins/Mods. I'm only trying to clear things up for the viewers. Thanks for the opportunity!
Unless your spoofing your IP address it does report back as Dynamic Address from the ISP Centrylink, out of Clark County Nevada.
So is that false information?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Unless your spoofing your IP address it does report back as Dynamic Address from the ISP Centrylink, out of Clark County Nevada.
So is that false information?
What are you talking about? I'm not spoofing my IP address. It's from Las Vegas using CenturyLink**.

Is there something wrong with my ISP?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can't believe what I'm reading. You attack the man and now his IP address - unbielable!

101 - 120 of 141 Posts