RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
What are you talking about? I'm not spoofing my IP address. It's from Las Vegas using CenturyLink**.

Is there something wrong with my ISP?
Nothing wrong with your ISP and your verifying that you are indeed posting from somewhere in Clark County Nevada using Centrylink

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Can't believe what I'm reading. You attack the man and now his IP address - unbielable!
Just separating fact from fiction.
He did decide quote me on a post then proceed state that there is lots of false information spread by the Admin/Mods

·
Banned
19 Posts
Nothing wrong with your ISP and your (you're*) verifying that you are indeed posting from somewhere in Clark County Nevada using Centrylink (**CenturyLink)
What does my ISP have anything to do with this? How's this information relevant to the topic or my comment about misinformation? Please clarify

Just separating fact from fiction.
He did decide quote me on a post then proceed state that there is lots of false information spread by the Admin/Mods
Fact = misinformation/I'm clarifying.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
What does my ISP have anything to do with this? How's this information relevant to the topic or my comment about misinformation? Please clarify
When you accuse me of spreading false information in the forum I wanted you to clarify with slightly more detail that what I stated was accurate. No personally identifiable infromation like your actual IP address was ever revealed. Who you actually are is completely suspicious considering your acting as a representative of a banned member who may have used the same service.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Can't believe what I'm reading. You attack the man and now his IP address - unbielable!
Nobody is being 'attacked', only questioned. The username is the same as the last name of someone who is banned. The IP address is from the same city. It raises eyebrows and is common to online shenanigans.

No attacking here, unless of course questioning the identity to verify it isn't a banned person is attacking.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Are you Jimmy or a relative of Jimmy?
Yes
When you accuse me of spreading false information in the forum I wanted you to clarify with slightly more detail that what I stated was accurate. No personally identifiable infromation (information*) like your actual IP address was ever revealed. Who you actually are is completely suspicious considering your acting as a representative of a banned member who may have used the same service. (which service? CenturyLink? Not possible, I just signed up 12 Oct)
Gents, nobody is being accused. Just saw misinformation and wanted to clarify for the viewers, that is all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Its been a while since I've posted something to get the fanboys riled up. Some of you know (and many not on the forums requested me to do these) that I am working on some comparisons between stock, SFT and GDE. I have 3 ECUs, one with the AEMs stock tune, one with SFT and one with GDE.

I've completed some of the comparisons, specifically the 64 mile MPG loop with my trucks Stock tune which was post AEMs flash, and then also with the SFT TCM and engine tunes and the SFT TCM + GDE Hot Tune. This has taken me several hours to do, having to repeat runs because of traffic, regens (Both SFT and GDE loops) etc. I switched from 37" tires to 35" tires after my first run with SFT and so I did another SFT run with the 35s to give it an apples to apples comparison.

But I have completed the initial comparisons and I've added that info with links to the videos below. I am finishing up 2 hypermile loops, one with GDE and one with SFT. I will then do towing comparisons and will be monitoring EGTs, Oil, Transmission and coolant temps, as well as overall performance and MPG while towing. I will also be doing 0-60 times. I will then repeat all of these comparisons with the Off-Road/Stage 2 tunes.

I will also be completing this run with my dads 2015 ecodiesel as well with stock and GDE tunes (both transmission and engine tunes, he went with GDE because he hates SFT's name and his truck previously had the Hot tune from GDE). His truck has the 3.92 rear diff. It gets 2-3mpg less than my truck does and it will be interesting to see how it does on these runs.

All of these runs were on the same loop, which was mapped out to 64 miles exactly. I used the exact same pump at the same gas station for all of the runs. I followed the technique that TFLTrucks uses, and that is to fill up, wait 30 seconds after the pump clicks and then top off. I set cruise control to 5mph above the posted speed limit, and did as much as possible to limit my interaction in order for the comparisons to be as fair and accurate as possible.

Stock Run 64 mile loop:
Pump showed 2.618 gallons.
64/2.618 = 24.446 MPG
Video:

SFT Run 37" Tires:
Pump showed 2.402 gallons.
64/2.402 = 26.64 MPG
Link to video:

SFT Run 2 with 35" tires:
Pump showed 2.416 gallons.
64/2.416 = 26.49 MPG
Link to video:

GDE Run 35" Tires:
Pump showed 2.430 gallons
64/2.430 = 26.337 MPG
Link to video:

I know I was getting slightly better MPG with the 37" tires than I am getting with my 35" tires. On the highway. In the city, the 35" tires are doing a little better. SFT saw my first video I shared with the 37" tires and emailed me. They requested that I update my tune to their latest tune for the run. Which I did. I noticed that the new tune gave me better fuel economy as I drove on it for a couple days prior to doing the mpg run. SFT also has a bit more punch that GDE, so it feels like it performs slightly better. The 0-60 will show if there is any performance improvement. I've always felt that GDE was more efficient. Which it was prior to this updated tune. I know that if I would have done a run with the 37" tires with GDE, I probably would have been in the 27mpg range. But the new SFT tune I feel is on par with GDE, as far as fuel economy goes. It does still regen more often, but they have soot set at 65%, GDE is 80%. SFT told me they are working on the regens and will have an update.

To be 100% honest. SFT is way more convenient. I've flashed 3 tunes now from SFT, all taking a total of 15 minutes between the 3, about 5 minutes each. When I first ordered my reflash from GDE after the AEMS update, it took 5 days to get my new ECU. However, one of the features I ordered was not on the tune. So, I had to send the ECU back to GDE. They fixed it and sent it back. Taking another 8 days. SFT was able to get my tune back within 24 hours after I got my truck back from the dealer post AEMS reflash. They also did the updates the same day.

So, convenience, hands down goes to SFT. As does customer service. I mentioned to GDE I was doing these runs and they didn't seem to care. Actually asked me to sign an NDA and almost were accusatory in their responses to me. I guess thats what I get when I am completely upfront and honest. Last year, when I originally ordered my GDE tune, I also ran into some communication issues and delays on getting my tune. As much as I hate SFT's name and think of it as a JR high joke, SFT has been nothing but great to deal with and has had excellent customer service.

I am not a fanboy of either tune. I've always felt GDE was more efficient and more reliable, as they have a solid history and a proven product. But, with this recent update from SFT I now I feel they are very similar, at least for fuel economy. I do know that SFT runs cooler during towing, as my Oil temps have been consistently lower while towing and I tow several times a week with my truck. Lower oil temps is something that is very important to me with this truck. From my research, I believe GDE uses higher cylinder temps to increase efficiency and MPG and this could be the cause, but I don't know. That is purely speculation.

I have a custom oil cooler kit I've put together, but don't plan on installing it until after I complete the towing comparisons.

I know people will flame this post (Bounty Hunter I'm sure will have his speculations). But I did my absolute best, spending many hours, to make sure these comparisons were as fair and honest as possible. I will continue to do the same with the towing comparisons, Stage 2 and 0-60 runs. I will post my hypermilling runs very soon. I know there will be much hate spewed at those because I was able to get above 30mpg with both of these tunes on that 64 mile loop.
Good job avoiding the question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Gputah,
I've read the 7 pages here and it seems your original post had real value for me. I get the test loop is too small for the guys that want to claim one tune is better than the other for mpg. I don't want to lose mpg and the truth is most of the guys getting in this late don't have this option anymore. As long as the mileage is close (I think you have proven it is) and the soot valve is off, it seems like a good choice. You would also get the ability to swap back to the stock tune at any time, I'll bet a lot of guys wish they had a stock ECU right about now. You would still have the stage 2 tune in your back pocket not that I would want a full delete.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the efforts.
PS: I don't want to start the BS all over again but how did the tow testing go and the 0-60 or was it 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Thanks Gputah,
I've read the 7 pages here and it seems your original post had real value for me. I get the test loop is too small for the guys that want to claim one tune is better than the other for mpg. I don't want to lose mpg and the truth is most of the guys getting in this late don't have this option anymore. As long as the mileage is close (I think you have proven it is) and the soot valve is off, it seems like a good choice. You would also get the ability to swap back to the stock tune at any time, I'll bet a lot of guys wish they had a stock ECU right about now. You would still have the stage 2 tune in your back pocket not that I would want a full delete.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the efforts.
PS: I don't want to start the BS all over again but how did the tow testing go and the 0-60 or was it 1/4 mile?
After GDE closed their doors thanks to the EPA, I kinda stopped my testing and comparisons between the 2, since SFT was the only option available in the US at that point. The only other video I did was comparing SFT stage 2 to stage 1. I'm fully deleted now, which makes it very difficult to compare the state 1 and hot tune. But I do plan on comparing the off-road Hot tune to SFT's stage 2. I would love to get my hands on GDE's super tune, but that is also going to be difficult.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Gputah,

Nice write up. I am all stock and went to purchase GDE but it was no longer available.

It appears you do not need to send your ECU based on this link. Am I reading correctly? Or is this only for units already updated?

I am glad to hear some people get good mileage. I purchased a 2015 crew cab with 18,000 miles with stock SRT. Per the EVIC I averaged around 23 summer and 21 winter. These tires wore out and replaced with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT same size as stock. This winter in Michigan my mpg dropped to 19. I drive one way 30 mile each day to work with 20 miles highway at 72 - 73 mph. My next step will be installing UCA 2" level front level kit. I keep losing mpg's and would like to get some back and improve performance.

·
Registered
938 Posts
remember that winter blend diesel will give you lower mpg than summer blend. Less BTU in the winter blend.
The further north you are, the larger the difference.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Hi Gputah,

Nice write up. I am all stock and went to purchase GDE but it was no longer available.

It appears you do not need to send your ECU based on this link. Am I reading correctly? Or is this only for units already updated?

I am glad to hear some people get good mileage. I purchased a 2015 crew cab with 18,000 miles with stock SRT. Per the EVIC I averaged around 23 summer and 21 winter. These tires wore out and replaced with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT same size as stock. This winter in Michigan my mpg dropped to 19. I drive one way 30 mile each day to work with 20 miles highway at 72 - 73 mph. My next step will be installing UCA 2" level front level kit. I keep losing mpg's and would like to get some back and improve performance.
Sft does not require you to send an ecm to them. All of their tuning is done via the obd port. When gde comes back online they will be doing the tunes the same way. Keep in mind that the flash devices sft uses are on back order. You can go the other route and use a laptop and get the tune much faster.

Driving style affects mpg the most. I can take the same 140 mile round trip and get 28mpg and 23mpg in my truck.

Bigger tires will help highway fuel economy, but hurt city economy. A lift will hurt both city and highway mpg, but the wind drag will effect you more at highway speeds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks, Bounty and Gputah I understand. A lot of give and take. I just can't stand the amount of rake on these trucks. I understand it's how they get all of the increased mpg's but I was hoping maybe I could break even on current mpg's by adding SFT if I level it out. Either way, mpg's are a lot better than my 2008 Expedition EL. Kids finally got older and could finally get a truck again.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Glenn,
I have a "the other route" Windows OBD2 SFT device leftover from my first SFT tune. I now have the Touchscreen tuner and no longer need or use the Windows device.

Do you think if I made Ecorumble, or anyone else, a good deal on that device that SFT would tune it to their truck? I think they would, I'll contact Jimmy and see if that is feasible and what the costs might be.

If the price is right it would be a good wy to get tuned while waiting for more Touchscreens to arrive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi John, I am curious about your post and interested in learning more. To be honest I have not really researched this company yet though. How does your system differ from the touch screen?
Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi John, I am curious about your post and interested in learning more. To be honest I have not really researched this company yet though. How does your system differ from the touch screen?
Thanks
You use a Windows PC that has an internet connection.
You upload your stock tune to SFT. They then send you the SFT tune. You install the tune via the SFT OBD2 device using the Windows PC. I think I'm remembering this right.

Hers a link to SFT. Their site has a lot of info including instructions on installing their various tuners.
SFT Web Site

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Glenn,
I have a "the other route" Windows OBD2 SFT device leftover from my first SFT tune. I now have the Touchscreen tuner and no longer need or use the Windows device.

Do you think if I made Ecorumble, or anyone else, a good deal on that device that SFT would tune it to their truck? I think they would, I'll contact Jimmy and see if that is feasible and what the costs might be.

If the price is right it would be a good wy to get tuned while waiting for more Touchscreens to arrive.
John,

I'm pretty sure if you flash back to stock, you can plug in the touchscreen device and from the SFT software you can do a "factory" reset of the devide. This should make the device appear as unused, and someone else should be able to use it without issue as if they received it from SFT.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts