RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a bunch of fuses to stuff in the blank spaces on my truck, my brother's 2016 ED, and my dad's 2016 Cummins.
You need five different types of fuses for this truck - wow.
I did not want to cheap out and buy knockoff fuses online. Sorry, but I don't trust them. So I aimed to stay with good quality like Littelfuse or Cooper/Bussman, and succeeded.
A bunch of web links integrated below - if you need help identifying the fuses.

I counted all the fuses in all three trucks and determined what I needed to buy to stuff as many spares as possible in all the "blanks" in the fuse banks.
Bought all of my stuff from The Electrical Depot and Amazon.

Battery positive terminal block - ZCASE fuses. 100, 125, 250 amp ratings for the two 1500 trucks.

The 2500 truck with two batteries used 2x 250A and one marked "SHUNT." No need to carry a spare shunt, so his truck was easier just needed a single spare 250A.

Glow plug/PTC heater relay bank (1500 only) - JCASE fuses (FMX). 3x 50A and 1x 60A

AUX upfitters bank (2500 only) - same as above. 3x 20A, 2x 25A, 2x 40A.

Main fuse bank - 3 types (all trucks):

F03-F15 - JCASE Low Profile fuses (FMX-LP). All three trucks uses 20A, 30A, and 40A ratings, but the 2500 truck also used a 60A. The 1500 trucks had 3 spare slots (perfect for 1ea of the needed ratings), the 2500 only had 2 spare slots.

F16-F39 - MCASE fuses (FMM). These are "slow-blow" fuses to tolerate a bit more inrush current - things like trailer lights, etc. The Littelfuse ones look different than what's in the truck. All three trucks used varying quantities of the 20A and 30A ratings. The 1500 trucks had 8 spare slots, the 2500 had 5 spare slots to fill.

F40-F104 - MICRO2 fuses (ATR). These are fast-blow fuses. 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 25A, 30A ratings. My truck had 15 spare slots, my brother's had 17, and the 2500 had 21 slots. Go figure.

I purchased the ZCASE fuses from The Electrical Depot for $5.89 each. Even with shipping (including other stuff in the shipment), that was better than anywhere else. And the 100A was impossible to find. I sent them a web request asking if they had access to the 100A. He called me first thing the next morning to ask me how many I wanted, he would have them set up on the website shortly and could ship them separately for free if I needed stuff in a hurry. He emailed me about 2hrs later telling me the website was set up for the 100A and had them on order. Top notch service. They are definitely a good source for lots of oddball items like this. Total ordered: 2x 100A, 2x 125A, 3x 250A.

I was going to need 2x 50A and 2x 60A of the FMX fuses for the 1500 glow plug bank, plus more for the 2500 aux switches. And for the FMX-LP, I was going to need 3x 20A, 3x 30A, 3x 40A, and 1x 60A. It was going to get pricey buying them individually. I found this kit on amazon and confirmed they were genuine Littelfuse produce. It was cheaper to buy this bulk kit and have way more extras.

I bought the FMM fuses from The Electrical Depot. 10x 20A and 15x 30A.

I had already purchased each of my family members one of these kits. Good for a replacement of 1ea the necessary sizes plus an extra 7.5A (not used in our trucks). I stocked up on extra 10A, 15A, 20A, and 25A from The Electrical Depot to fill in a bunch of blanks in the fuse block according to how many were in the banks (no sense in carrying 3ea of everything when the truck only uses 1x 30A but 25x 10A).

I identified ALL the blanks in my fuse bank first. Just a metallic silver Sharpie marker, shows up nicely:

Then I filled it all in with my spare fuses.

Ended up with the ZCASE and FMX fuses in a little bag and it lives under the lid now.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Awesome wright up!! All of the info I was looking for. :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daniel , nice write-up :cool:
little correction on 5th image ==> F2 60A = glow plugs ,,,, Only the yellow one is glow plug related
the 3 others ( F1 F3 F4 all 50A ) , Red ones and relays are for the heater 's 3 elements ( PTC in the HVAC) .
(as described in the cover , and in a few threads about the heaters )
the text above image says all 4 for glow plugs , and again a little further down .
.......if the correction is made in first post , I will delete this post ........
PTC heaters explained by GDE in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/8489-winter-warm-up-tips.html
Thanks I will change. I wasn't sure that PTC was - thought it meant Power Train Control, such as the thermal unit on the transmission, etc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJL,
A great post of needed information. Very complete, good research and even where to purchase data. Well done!

Edit:
One of the reviews on the assortment you bought on Amazon said the fuses were the wrong size for his Ram. Is he comparing the wrong fuse or ?? Looks to me he's comparing a J Case to an FFM.
Here is the review
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2CGVFX74FYKJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B073XV628Q
I read that too. That's exactly his issue. The guy left a one-star review because he didn't do his research. Those kind of reviews bug me...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more pic I took that I forgot to post. Here was a quick shot of all the spares I added in my truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your excellent post. It really helped me sort out the different types of fuses in my truck (2017 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins), and what they look like.

Does anyone have a suggestion for removing the MCASE fuses? The plastic fuse puller that came with the truck does not fit these (although it does remove the other fuse types). I purchased a green plastic "Tri Puller" from Littelfuse, and that does not work. Also tried needle nose pliers and they cannot get enough of a grip - plus I'm afraid of cracking the case, by squeezing too hard.

I appreciate any suggestions - especially if someone knows of a specialized tool.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update for everyone. When servicing my dad's 2500 a while back, I noticed inside the fuse box, a lot of these spare fuses I placed in the empty slots had rattled loose and were laying inside the cover. I recently found the same on my truck. The empty slots don't have metal tabs to grip the terminals, so the fuses are loose. I didn't think they would come out, but they do with road vibrations. A piece of foam might work well, but I worry about a fire hazard if a fuse gets hot instead of blowing (had a fuse completely melt in a prior truck).

Just a word of warning, the spare fuses don't stay in their slots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts