RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is currently stuck in 4WD low. I replaced the shift motor, as a local shop said that was the issue but its still stuck. The annoying thing is, the front wheels aren't engaged, its just in the 4wd low mode and top speed is 40 mph in 8th gear. I've tried just about everything I've found online including trying to shift to and from 4wd while moving slowing (3mph or so), backing up, etc nothing has worked. The truck currently shows its in 2wd on the selector, but its not. When I attempt to set it to 4wd it will either say it failed to shift and try again, or service 4wd. I've tried neutral and it says failed to shift try again. When I try 4wd auto and 4wd lock it says service 4wd. Neighbor who does a lot of crawling with jeeps, said to unhook the battery for at least 30 minutes. I left it unhooked for several hours, came back and everything was the same.

Any ideas of what to try? Bad transfer case?

·
Registered
390 Posts
With the shift motor off can you physically place the case in two wheel drive?
Then reinstall the shift motor.

·
Registered
497 Posts
From what I read the BW44-44 does not have a position sensor as it utilizes the motor assay. for position.

If you put it in when the truck was marked as in 2wd but the truck is in 4wd low, you have a problem.

Take the motor off but leave it plugged in. Put the selector in 4wd low, watch the motor turn, then mount it. Then put it back in 2wd.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
497 Posts
All 4x4's should be manual shift and solid front axle.

But IFS and electric shift is the world we live in. Hope you get it figured out.
I will get flamed for this but I disagree. It all depends on your mission.

My mission is a family hauler that drives a lot on pavement but during times of very variable conditions. I also have an 800ft very steep driveway.

I love the front independent suspension coupled with my air ride as it makes my truck not drive like a truck.

I love my set it and forget it 4wd Auto as many days I am transiting a mix of snow covered, partially snow covered, and bare road. I also love that if my wife drives the truck she doesn't need to worry or even understand anything about pushing buttons or twisting knobs depending the conditions.

Again, that is my mission and I respect yours.

Reactions: Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
One of my quads has that electronic shifting crap. Bought it near-new for a super price as it often refused to shift. Replaced the shift motor with near the same frequency of failure. Then cut a hole in a fender liner, inserted a wrench and gave it a crank. Works and shifts OK for a while. Now how does that help you?

The more I spray contact cleaner on the switches, and connectors associated with the shifting the longer it works. See if you can find electrical connectors associated with the system and alternately fasten and unfasten, lubing with contact cleaner during the process. Can't hurt and surely would be less expensive than a dealer service.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So.....

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, sorry for the delay. I finally got this all sorted out today. I was waiting until I for sure had it working before I posted. No matter what I did I couldn't get it out of 4wd low. But the front wheels weren't spinning which means the transfer case was just stuck in 4wd low, and the front wasn't locking in. I took it to a local driveline shop and they spend about an hour on it. They were able to get the transfer case to shift without any issues using their shop diagnostic tool. But, they said the front locker actuator wasn't responding and that is why it wouldn't do anything when I tried to shift it. They said that the transfer case wouldn't shift because the actuator on the locker wouldn't send the signal back that it had locked/unlocked it.

I asked if they had a price on a new actuator motor for the locker and they said they didn't bother looking into it because I had swapped out the transfer case actuator and figured I could do the locker as well. Which is true. I wish more shops were like this. They charged me $50 for the diagnostic fee. I drove it home, looked online and found a mopar actuator for $108 and ordered it. It came today, and this afternoon I swapped it out. Shifts perfectly in and out of 4wd again! Very relieved to have this sorted out!

My transfer case actuator might still be good, so I'll keep the old one as a spare. Went ahead and changed the diff fluid and transfer case fluid while I was working on his. The fluid in the front diff was black and had a slight burnt smell. Looks like its never been replaced. I'm at 99k miles right now. I had the rear diff changed at about 75k miles when the dealer replaced the pinion bearing but went ahead and changed it as well since I tow a lot. It was still red and didn't look too bad. Transfer case was also pretty dark, but didn't smell burnt at all.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
glad you got it fixed seems like that isn’t too bad a job if it’s the part I’m thinking about. Was thinking about servicing my trans difs and t-case soon you may have convinced me to do it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is a great example of useful information...thanks for following it up with the repair. Maybe post the FCA part number so then when someone eventually searches they can find it easily.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having similar problems. Mine at first wouldn't shift to 4wd. Then it did, and now it won't come out. I'm hoping it is covered under the 100k driveline warranty. Mine is a 2016 with 94k

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm having similar problems. Mine at first wouldn't shift to 4wd. Then it did, and now it won't come out. I'm hoping it is covered under the 100k driveline warranty. Mine is a 2016 with 94k
Look at the resolution in post 9. It was the front diff locker that broke. It was pretty inexpensive to replace and fairly easy to do. I did a followup post on 12 about the part I bought and a link to an install video. So, if it isn't covered it for some reason, you should be able to swap it out yourself. If you are lose to Utah, I have 2 extra transfer case shift motors I'd be happy to help you throw on to see if thats the issue. If it isn't, its most likely the front diff locker motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look at the resolution in post 9. It was the front diff locker that broke. It was pretty inexpensive to replace and fairly easy to do. I did a followup post on 12 about the part I bought and a link to an install video. So, if it isn't covered it for some reason, you should be able to swap it out yourself. If you are lose to Utah, I have 2 extra transfer case shift motors I'd be happy to help you throw on to see if thats the issue. If it isn't, its most likely the front diff locker motor.
I am in Bountiful. I'll be taking it to the dealer (Larry Miller Ram Bountiful) Monday morning. I'm hoping it is the front diff locker, and hopefully it is under warranty. It was really strange how it happened. It didn't want to go into 4wd Friday night, but just gave a Service 4wd notice. Yesterday, after reading a few posts on others that had this issue, I attempted to put it in 4WD low. It looks like the transfer case shifted, but I don't think the front axle did as I can still spin the front drive shaft. I crawled under the truck, and can't see any damage. The front actuator looks pretty simple to swap. Feel free to give me a call if you like. 949-395-2212 Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts