1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LandLine Magazine said:
Study reveals most pickup trucks receive poor headlight rating

By Tyson Fisher, Land Line staff writer
The old adage of you can have too much of a good thing is proving true once again. Recently released headlight ratings for passenger vehicles are critical of many car and pickup truck headlights. Top of the list of negative aspects – excessive glare.

Most recently, pickup trucks have been added to the list of vehicles with poor headlights, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Midsize cars and SUVs received poor headlight ratings earlier this year.

IIHS evaluated headlights on 11 pickup trucks, seven large trucks and four small trucks. All four of the small pickups earned a poor headlight rating. Large pickups fared better with only three of the seven receiving a poor headlight rating. The Honda Ridgeline was the only pickup to receive a good headlight rating.

There were 23 possible headlight combinations within the 11 trucks evaluated by IIHS. Of those possible combinations, 14 had an excessive glare, contributing to their poor rating.

Tested pickups earned the following rating:

Good:

2017 Honda Ridgeline

Acceptable:

2016-2017 GMC Sierra

Marginal:

2017 Nissan Titan
2016 Ram 1500

Poor:

2016-2017 Chevrolet Silverado
2016-2017 Ford F-150
2016-2017 Toyota Tundra
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
2016 GMC Canyon
2016 Nissan Frontier
2016-2017 Toyota Tacoma

It is worth noting that some pickups that earned a rating better than “poor” only received that rating for certain trim levels. For example, the GMC Sierra received an overall rating of “acceptable,” but those headlights are only available on certain trim levels. Other versions earned a marginal or poor rating. The same applied to the Ram 1500’s marginal rating.

Included in the “poor” section is the Ford F-150, the highest-selling vehicle in the United States, including midsize passenger vehicles, according to Car Fax. IIHS reports that the Ford F-150 was one of the poorest performers in the headlight evaluation. The standard halogen and optional LED low beams both provide inadequate visibility. High beams yielded similar results for both light designs. The LEDs provided an unacceptable glare.

Ford F-150s have been the best-selling pickup for 39 straight years and the best-selling vehicle for 34 straight years. For the first half of 2016, The Chevrolet Silverado was the second best-selling vehicle, according to Car Fax.

Headlights are measured after dark on a track using a device that measures the light from low beams and high beams on a vehicle driving straight and in various curve situations. IIHS also measures the glare from low beams for oncoming vehicles. Excessive glare earns a vehicle a rating no better than marginal. Headlights are kept at the same adjustment received from the dealer as most people do not alter the configuration.

IIHS’s headlight rating was installed as a response to government standards that allow for a wide variation in the amount of illumination provided by headlights, according to an IIHS press release. New to IIHS’s Top Safety Pick+, its highest safety award, vehicles must receive a good or acceptable headlight rating in order to qualify for the 2017 award.

In July, IIHS conducted a similar test on SUVs. The evaluation revealed that out of the 21 SUVs evaluated, not a single one earned a good rating and only four received an acceptable rating. More than two-thirds of the 47 possible headlight combinations received a poor rating.

Here’s a breakdown of the SUV tests (all 2016 models unless specified):

Acceptable:

2017 Ford Escape
Honda CR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Mazda CX-3

Marginal:

BMW X1
Mazda CX-5
Mitsubishi Outlander
Toyota RAV4
Volkswagen Tiguan

Poor:

Audi Q3
Buick Encore
Chevrolet Trax
Fiat 500X
Honda HR-V
Jeep Patriot
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Wrangler
2017 Kia Sportage
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Nissan Rogue
Subaru Forester

In March, IIHS discovered that of the 31 midsize cars tested, the Toyota Prius was the only car to receive a good rating for its headlights. Accounting for various headlight combinations, 11 cars earned an acceptable rating for best available headlights, nine received a marginal rating and 10 cars are only equipped with headlights with a poor rating. Click here for the full list of midsize car headlight ratings.

Copyright © OOIDA
Study reveals most pickup trucks receive poor headlight rating

I thought you guys might find this interesting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I mean, I am pretty sure we all agree and knew this. Nobody likes the stock lights - they are piss poor.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
It's not the light bulbs used, but the horrible design of the reflectors. My old 78 Rabbit with Hella replacement housings would light up about 1/2 mile on high and 1/4 mile without blinding anyone. They were round, ROUND seems to be the best shape.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I have the projector headlights & they sucked from day one. Dealers said they were correctly adjusted, but they blind oncoming drivers & don't shine out to the sides to see animals or people on the side of the road. They are better with HID bulbs, but the problem is in the design, not the bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
They should go to Hella, Lucas Carello or Bosch and learn how to make efficient assemblies that put the light where it's supposed to go.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been Ubering this week and have had a few people flash at me. But what I see in front of me looks normal and hasn't changed. I don't have anything in the bed and am not pulling a trailer, so I'm pretty sure the height hasn't changed.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
IMO the higher trim levels do have better lamps . The Laramie trim has different lamps which seemed to illuminate better than the other choice ,but I never compared them side by side at night . These better lamps were one of the reasons I went up,to the Laramie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
IMO the higher trim levels do have better lamps . The Laramie trim has different lamps which seemed to illuminate better than the other choice ,but I never compared them side by side at night . These better lamps were one of the reasons I went up,to the Laramie.
Here's the link to the data for the RAM trucks. Click on "Headlights" on the left side to bring up that data. You will see that the halogen reflectors in the lower trim lines outperformed the projectors in the higher trim lines.

Vehicle details

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the short time I have had my truck
- passenger projector is aimed too far left
- fogs poorly adjusted, one was pointing almost straight down, light cut off was 20ft in front of the truck
- driver projector is aimed higher than the passenger
I haven’t dived under the hood to see how hard it is to fix the aiming, but believe part of the problem with poor lighting is the halogens used. Projectors with xenon hid from the factory in other vehicles have better lighting at a distance.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Guessing I am the only one here getting a totally different meaning from the report. I saw NOTHING speaking to the issue of how bright they were for illuminate the roadway ahead. Yet, that seems to be the conclusion most of you immediately came to. The ratings seemed to be interested in how much glare or interference headlights caused oncoming drivers.

I think our headlights are too bright and set too high for oncoming drivers to not be adversely affected/ blinded by pickup lights. Often I see those hideous blue things blaring down at me from both standard and lifted pickups. It blinds me and irritates me to think they are being driven with the high beams on. Then as I pass, notice that maybe they did not have the high beams on.

That horrible glare from headlights too bright and aimed too high often has me blasting oncoming drivers with my high beams hoping to get them to turn things down.

My conclusion is based on my experience. Our pickup lights are too bright and can be too high. That makes them a threat to others and the cause of accidents. I see nothing wrong with illumination of the road, low beam and especially high beam if you can find a clear road to turn them on. Wish our law enforcement would stop and fine those modifying their lights for more power, aimed too high and causing that glare focused on in the article. Also wish that same law enforcement would enforce laws about traveling in the passing lane.

A wish in a dish is not as good as a fish in that dish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aim is the primary problem with most lights as indicated. And with other manufacturers that use projector headlights, on startup they go through an aiming process. The projector on the Ram does not. So unless properly aimed to start with, they will have glare, less than a reflector assembly though. Now because they do not have an automatic adjustment feature, as soon as you put some weight in the box or tow something, the cut off is now higher than it should be. This was shown while I was pulling the trailer, I was getting flashed all the time, I make a point of getting off the road before dark just to avoid this.
Your primary culprit for vehicles with blinding low beams are those individuals who put HID bulbs in reflector headlights. HID in a projector that is properly aimed will have a defined cutoff below oncoming driver’s eyeline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts