RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in a weird situation - I have installed a Rockford 500w amp, LC2i converter, and Rockford P3 8" sub in the factory box. Well, the sub sounds HORRIBLE in the factory box, it's just way too much for it. I am really stuck on what to do. Most of the wooden aftermarket enclosures that go under the seat require you to remove the cargo flaps, and even then the seat either rests on the box/sub or very close to it. I know there are options out there for the passenger side, but I can't seem to find a box that will work for the driver side under seat. If I'm going to have to remove my cargo flap, I'd prefer to do it on the driver side so I can maintain my larger cargo area. So here's what I am looking to figure out:

1 - is there any good box options that will ONLY go under the driver side seat?

2 - is there any way to coat, strengthen, sound proof, etc, the factory sub box so it can sound like a wooden box, and I can retain all factory cargo space?

3 - what sub boxes do you have, or recommend? Only looking to keep the 8" Rockford P3, or if I went with a 10" box, I'd go with a Kicker CompRT shallow mount. Do not want to run multiple subs.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,761 Posts
Sounds like your looking for a little more thump than the Kicker Hideaway can offer, but it fits nicely under the CrewCab passenger side rear seat with the fold flat floor in place. It's definitely adds to the bottom end but it's not going to rattle the windows.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maybe worth a try. Something you may already know, but adding polyfill inside the enclosure might help. Back in the day I was told that if the box is too small for the sub, adding polyfill can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm not looking to spend $700 for a sub and box.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fold seat and shelf up...produces more base for me. Audio shop informed me would need a costly amplifier more so than upgraded kicker...and recommended against it. He did say the best option for the Alpine in these trucks was simply upgrading the front 3 speakers in the dash.

Also would fold down back seat in my 300s w/ the Beats...again made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I don't know the size of the box you want to install , but there is room BEHIND the rear seats ,
you can see how to get there in the rear seat mod thread .little video on the modding of the rear anchors that hold the
seat in upright position , I did the mod on driver side to install a fire extinguisher back there .
** you can probably fit the size of a watermelon down there .

you tube link to the rear seat mod bolt location

----------------------------------------------------------

thread with pictures : post #28 with my extinguisher
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-accessories/50962-back-seat-mod-2.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, wound up going with a ported Fox Box, and have been running a Kicker CompRT that I will be changing for a Sundown Audio E v.3 10". Just installed a Harrison Labs sub bass blocker 37hz to cut off the lows that create port noise. It made a big difference. Going to test the new sub ported and see how it sounds, but may wind up sealing the box for better quality and more range.

Reactions: Vandamage101

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The box does fit under the driver's side, and I did retain my fold out floor on the passenger side. Mission accomplished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts