RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's if you have a sick mind like me.

Was out riding one of my bikes, A BSA I bought new 47 years ago. Anyway my wife wanted to take a short video of me riding. I went dow the road, turned around and came back to pull into the driveway. It's paved over a culvert pipe where she was standing. Old ladies are supposed to sit in the nursing home chair and watch TV. Not Pam. She was out ready to ride and dressed to ride when done. As I got close she ...
You have to click on this to play the video.
IMG_5347 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

No damage. She took more video later and we did ride quite a while on this together.

IMG_5348 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
IMG_5339 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
IMG_5342 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
IMG_5343 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

All original, even the front tire. The rear tire was cut back in the early 70's when I ran over a broken leaf spring. Replaced just 45 years ago, it's the youngster of the two tires.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
441 cc ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Aren't the tires rock hard by now? Need a new stator to get mine back on road.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is right below "Rock Hard"?

Get a bit nervous going over 60 mph or so. The inner tubes are also original. I have never ever pulled off the front one. There's 5,000 some miles on it since new. Always had trouble starting. Once it broke the timing plate loose and near broke my leg kicking back. The 441 Victor has/had a long reputation on being one of the nastiest, hardest starting motorcycles ever made. Of course the 500 BSA Gold Star was also trouble. Strange how such famous machines ( for those that know motorcycles) come with such a reputation of problems.

There's no battery in mine. Decades ago I put a capacitor hanging on a spring in the battery area. Original points and condenser too. Plugs have been problems. I never switched to that Boyer Branson electronic ignition that's supposed to make it easy to start. 2nd carb as the original one seized it's slide so bad I still have it in a box seized up. Again, common issues well documented. Been kicked so much I replaced the starter gear once and think I still have another spare ready to go.

Now I did have a 1972 Harley Superglide that was harder to start. Not geared for much of an engine movement and did not have a compression release like the BSA does. Last year I watched a guy at the Iron Horse Saloon do a starting seminar to show off. He did it wrong and never got it started while I was there. I did not offer to help.

All my Triumphs and BSA's have/had compression releases. Now the old flat head Harleys' did not but they were low compression engines. You could also manually retard the ignition for starting. If you forgot, you did break or damage your leg. I ready did watch a guy get thrown over the bars starting one of mine. He was a blowhard that told me he knew everything. He never retarded the timing before kicking.

Still laugh thinking about it. Those were the days.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My Victor is hardest starting bike I have. It is never easy, always takes multiple kicks. My Rocket is easiest (electric start), the others vary. I put Boyer on both my Trident and Commando. Don't notice easier starting but they do idle better.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My first Harley /first motorcycle was a 72 Sportster kick start. In the 4 years I owned it I never could get it to start reliably. The last year I owned it I finally figured out that that moisture was wicking up the points wire to the and creating a short between the points. Sealed the wire up with RTV and wha-da-ya-know the [email protected]#$##$%$^^&@^ Harley would start - then I sold it to my BIL.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ransom,

Sold three Tridents back when. Each case I had the classic issue with not being able to time the center set of points correctly with the other two set properly.

One was a black and red flame one from the factory. Neat bike but a bit of a pig. Always liked the Triumph twins better. Same like for my BSA twins, when they ran. Nice and original Trident at the AMC Meet in Daytona this year. Brought back memories - good and bad. Those bikes I do not regret getting rid of.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Never had trouble timing it and with the Boyer only set 1 time not 3. Mine is a 69 with the ray guns. Courted my wife on it, it's still her favorite.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that was a BSA that thought it was a Triumph.

Agree it's a historical milestone motorcycle and often forgotten, unlike Craig Vetter's Triumph triple design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts