RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under the front of my new Laramie and I'm concerned about what I believe should be tighter tolerances in building the truck at the factory. The front of the lower suspension arms are mounted to the crossmember with adjustable cam bolts. The cam bolt on one side of the truck is at the bottom of the adjustment range, the cam bolt on the other side of the truck is at the top. Seems to me this would make future alignments of the truck difficult. The suspension arm visibly sits higher in the crossmember on one side of the truck.

I can post a pic if I'm not explaining this correctly.

Also not happy with the weld splatter on the front crossmember, but that's another issue.

Reactions: Tomf

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I tip My had to Bounty Hunter...You and me think alike, I too check everything frame and underbody. Members needs pictures.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the front crossmember from beneath the front bumper.
20160323_122927[1].jpg 20160323_122909[1].jpg

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Good pictures. Assume they are an eccentric cam design, one does offset the other. Thinking you could offset each in opposite directions and still get the same relative difference. How that would affect other measurements is the next issue and I have no clue.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look at the bolt (hole) position in reference to the bottom of the crossmember you'll see it looks like it's in relatively the same location. I'm familiar with how eccentric cams are used in alignment adjustments but the cams being 180* out baffles me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If you look at the bolt (hole) position in reference to the bottom of the crossmember you'll see it looks like it's in relatively the same location. I'm familiar with how eccentric cams are used in alignment adjustments but the cams being 180* out baffles me.

Does the truck sit level?

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the new '16 CC Hemi we just got in at work at the alignment cams are identical to my pics above. Anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks a bunch, this goofyness must be the norm. Maybe it's just a right/left type thing and each side still have plenty of proper adjustment range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, thanks a bunch, this goofyness must be the norm. Maybe it's just a right/left type thing and each side still have plenty of proper adjustment range.
The only thing that pops into my mind is that with the bolts oriented as they are shown tightening the bolt on either side should produce the same adjustment (moving the arm towards the center). If they were both oriented the same you would have to loosen one bolt and tighten the other to make the same adjustment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts