RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timbren DR1500DQ Suspension Enhancement System ...This is what I just ordered, among other things.

Played around with aftermarket air bags, Sumo Springs (pads that fit inside the rear coils), replacement coils (big money) and these bumper-stop pads (springs). Read lots and lots. Decided this just might be a waste of $178 but then again just might help when I hook the toy hauler trailer up without using weight distribution bars. Those distribution bars and clamps are a royal pain in the ars but they sure do work. Anyhow, I'm ordered and going to try these. Kind of eats my craw that they charge so much for what looks to be so little.

Seems that they replace the factory bumper stops above the rear axles, leaving about an inch clearance. After truck sag for that inch they contact the axle and start to help the coil springs carry the load. When unloaded they mostly have no affect on the standard ride quality, unlike most all other options.

Anyone ever try something like that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Timbren DR1500DQ Suspension Enhancement System ...This is what I just ordered, among other things.

Played around with aftermarket air bags, Sumo Springs (pads that fit inside the rear coils), replacement coils (big money) and these bumper-stop pads (springs). Read lots and lots. Decided this just might be a waste of $178 but then again just might help when I hook the toy hauler trailer up without using weight distribution bars. Those distribution bars and clamps are a royal pain in the ars but they sure do work. Anyhow, I'm ordered and going to try these. Kind of eats my craw that they charge so much for what looks to be so little.

Seems that they replace the factory bumper stops above the rear axles, leaving about an inch clearance. After truck sag for that inch they contact the axle and start to help the coil springs carry the load. When unloaded they mostly have no affect on the standard ride quality, unlike most all other options.

I might be choosing these as well now that I now more about it.i was going to go with the air bags but this seems like a better choice thanks capt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have some friends that have the air bags, all with great reviews. If you have an air compressor to change PSI they are supposed to work great

·
Registered
735 Posts
Guys run those on the front of the Cummins trucks to keep the bump stops from hitting the axle when going over bumps and what not. From what I've heard they do the trick.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have Ride Rite manual air bags on my F250, single point air fill above rear bumper. They are simple, cheap and work fantastic. Just carry a battery powered air compressor, juice them up when you hook up a trailer or put 900lbs of mulch in the bed! Let the air down after you unload and ride smooths out. Highly recommend them and they cost about $200 and you can install them in about 2 hrs with hand tools.
I'll definitely put them on my Ram.

Correction: Ram 1500 price appears to be $337.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know what the $337 means but I paid $178 +- for the things I bought off Amazon.

Thought about those $88 manual air bags. They fit inside the coils and would work. good thing is you only inflate them when hooking up to a trailer or load that requires suspension help. Bad thing that kept me away is the springs are always chafing against the side of those bags. It's just go to put holes in them, especially when they are not inflated and more prone to get caught inside the coils.

I drive over brushy fields often when hunting. Sticks will get scraped under the truck and one is surely going to rip out an air line. Heck, I punctured a water line under my quad, didn't know it, ran it without water for over 10 miles. Heck of a mess.

Looking for an air-cooled quad now. Nuts to that water-cooled stuff. If it holds air or water it will leak.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Firestone has a combo kit that includes the inside the coil bags and jounce control bumpers that bolt to axle. I will go with this combination as I don't expect to be off road much, I do think airlines could be secured and protected pretty well. The bags seem pretty tough. I've had them on my Dakota for more than 10 years. Course they are auxiliary to leaf spring setup, not inside coils. Really help level and stabilize truck when loaded.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dad ran these on his 02 Powerstroke SB dually they did not help any at all as far as smoothing the ride while loaded like the Firestone Airags does on his 2012 Mega dually. But he went from squatting with 14-1500lb round bales on a 30 to a nice level load. They are great for what they cost. And im putting them on mine asap.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the old bumper stops out by hand easily. Too easy. My guess is they might fall out.

Decided to put them back in as I was not ready with the jack to make the switch and then jam the new ones in. It looks easy. Hope I don't jinx myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went with the Air Lift air bags inside the coil springs. About $80 from Amazon. Never used air bags before. The company Air Lift has been around for decades, made right here in Lansing, Michigan. If they didn't work I think they would have been out of business years ago.

I am installing them primary for use to level out the rig when towing our horse trailer.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably not.

It would be just an overload helper if you trashed your air suspension. The original springs are still there. These stops don't come into play until you move down an inch or so. It would supplement the air bags but probably not necessary.

Reactions: gleb

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rubber bump stops do nothing for your ride quality. They won't transfer weight back to the the front axle either. Checkout timbergroveenterprises.com. They are a small company that produces a product that will fix all your problems.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Finally got around to installing my $80 set of rear air bags three weeks ago. Easiest part was getting the air bags inside the coil springs, just following their instructions to the 'T'. Most time consuming was routing the air lines. Haven't had a problems yet. Towed our empty horse trailer (about 3,200 Lbs.) without any issues.

·
Registered
413 Posts
any update on the timbrem's , Have you used them yet ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just installed a set of timbrens on my truck this afternoon. Hauling my atv on Sunday (roughly 1000lbs) and will report back later

·
Registered
73 Posts
The timbrens work great. Loaded the atv and the timbrens were on the axel. Pretty much rode like a 3/4 truck. No issues with that and the truck was level. Drove the truck the rest of the week unloaded and it rode as usual, nice and smooth. Basically I bought them because I haul firewood and the tundra would really sag so I figured I would definitely need something for this truck and I didn't want to deal with airbags. Got the off amazon for $155.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts