RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

I finally found a 2017 Ram Ecodiesel 1500 4X4 long bed crew cab. Now I want to make it look aggressive while still handling/driving nice:) I will use it a bit in the backcountry off road, gnarly fire roads etc during hunting trips. But it will also be my daily driver for work. I’m looking for a 6” suspension lift and probably gonna run Nitto 35 Ridge Grapplers. I’m looking for that aggressive stance and a nice ride. Please share with me which suspension lift kits are best. Many thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had a BDS 6" lift on my crew cab 6'4" bed since the truck had about 900 miles, and love it. I opted to replace the OE upper control arms with Mevotech control arms as I've read there is a risk of the stock ball joints blowing out if the truck is taken offroad or lifted. Be advised that this particular manufacturer recommends an aftermarket front drive shaft - I had this recently done and replaced my factory drive shaft with one from Adams in Nevada. The only thing that needed attention on this system was a blown tie rod boot, which BDS replaced the entire tie rod end for free.

The truck serves as my daily commuter, family camping rig, hunting vehicle, and as an occasional tow truck for a small 5x10 trailer. I have Timber Grove airbags out back which raised the rear up another half inch or so and it helped with carrying loads and towing tremendously. My 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers are mounted on my factory 20" Laramie rims and still have lots of tread, even with over 35000 miles on them. I love the tire, and will probably replace them with another set when they wear out. The computer says I get around 23-24 mpg (uncorrected for the 35's) - prior to the lift I was getting a solid 30-31 mpg.

The truck does sit significantly higher and looks much more aggressive. You may not like the fender gap with a 6" lift and 35" tires (I personally like it but it's a matter of preference). It still behaves on road and I have no hesitation taking it offroad, even when it's loaded down with a bed full of camping gear.

If I could do it all over, I'd probably go the same route with the truck... Maybe opt for different control arms from Icon or Zone and springing for the fox shock and coilover option. When researching lift options, I heavily contemplated going smaller - A stage II suspension system (as opposed to lift kit) from Icon or Carli. Although these systems yield roughly 2.5 inches of lift, I have no doubt this set up would run circles around my truck as it sits while still clearing 35" tires. I had the Icon set up on my old Gen1 Tundra, and the truck floated over bumps and begged to be driven harder and faster.

In the end, I went with BDS because I was concerned the ride height with a coilover lift wouldn't be enough height for the offroading I do. I ain't gonna lie... I also wanted the aggressive look it gave the truck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts