RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I’ve been a member and lurker for a while, but this is my first post. I’ve got a 2016 Laramie and plan to switch the 9005 low and high beams with Sylvania 9011 HIRs (made in Korea) and the 9006 fog lights with Sylvania 9012 HIRs (made in USA). All use the true HIR infrared reflective coating that was pioneered by GE and originally produced by Toshiba. I understand this will require a small amount of trimming on the 9011 and 9012 bulbs, but will otherwise require no modification to the stock projector low beams, stock reflector high beams, and stock reflector vertical fogs. I also expect it will result in a significant increase in illumination – not LED or HID levels – but significantly better than stock. I researched LEDs and HIDs, but decided that LEDs would not do as well in winter’s snow and ice and I did not want the modification required for HIDs. I also had some concerns of glare and penetration of fog and adverse weather from the cooler color of LEDs and HIDs. I’m okay with the warmer color of the HIRs.

However, I see that the fogs don’t have glare caps and the 9012 HIRs also don’t have glare caps. Has anyone done this modification with the fogs and have you experienced any issues? Are the fogs low enough that they don’t present an issue? Recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
Lots of people put LEDs in the fogs which puts a lot of light out there, turns them more into driving lights. Never was flashed when I had mine in, the bigger problem was the light reflected in fog and snow. I've since switched to a projector style LED fog.

Rather than the 9011 in your highs, go with LEDs. You can't touch the amount of light they put out and they well worth it driving down dark county roads. I've ran the halogen lows with LED highs since I bought the truck, no issues with having plenty of light for driving under any conditions. Highs are usually ineffective in inclement weather even if they at halogen, might as well take advantage of LEDs in the highs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've certainly given LEDs and HIDs a lot of thought. I considered the GTR ultra 2s and Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 and read quite a bit on bulbfacts and headlight revolution. I'd like to try the 9011 and 9012 HIRs and am curious if anyone runs 9012s in their vertical reflector fog lights. If so, I'm interested in whether glare was an issue given the absence of a glare cap in the fog light and on the bulb. Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did you have projector or non projector?
Did you need a resistor?
Thanks,
Std housings (non-projectors) and I ordered the resistors since everything I read said I would need them in my 2015. I’did not need them and returned them.
I did have a body shop install them for me for 100 bucks. I didn’t feel like messing with some of the tight spaces.

Reactions: 1shadowsabre
1 - 6 of 6 Posts