RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas on how to make the RAM tailgate easier to lift? Easy Lift doesn't seem to come in a version that works in the 2014 and the Dee Zee only helps with the drop. Coming from an Avalanche that already had a torsion bar in it the tailgate was an easy lift.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
2 fingers closes mine! My old 03 ram was like lifting an iron bar!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased and installed the Dee Zee and it works great. Makes a bigger difference when lowering the tailgate, just pop the latch and let it drop on it's own. It drops very smoothly and controlled. I feel like it takes some of the weight off when closing too. Very easy and quick to install and I think it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I purchased and installed the Dee Zee and it works great. Makes a bigger difference when lowering the tailgate, just pop the latch and let it drop on it's own. It drops very smoothly and controlled. I feel like it takes some of the weight off when closing too. Very easy and quick to install and I think it makes a big difference.
I put one on too. I F---ed up the first one installing the tail gate holding pin and now have a backup cylinder when the second one goes bad. All in all it works great. I would strongly recommend it. I have not seen one to help with lifting. You might want to buy the Dee Zee and put the cylinder in upside down. It my help that way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wouldn't a Dee Zee make it a bit harder to close? Last time I checked gravity only worked 1 way.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Hard to close???

Compared to my old 2500 Dodge/Cummins it's flat out easy. There's literally no weight on mine. Kind of scary. I've had lots and lots of pickups over decades and this is by far the lightest tailgate of them all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wouldn't a Dee Zee make it a bit harder to close? Last time I checked gravity only worked 1 way.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
It did not make mine harder to close. You think it would but it does not.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hard to close???

Compared to my old 2500 Dodge/Cummins it's flat out easy. There's literally no weight on mine. Kind of scary. I've had lots and lots of pickups over decades and this is by far the lightest tailgate of them all.

I didn't want to be the first to say that.... but yep. I agree. I had my 7 year old daughter shut mine yesterday. I didn't hear any complaints that it was "Too Heavy" to close from her.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't want to be the first to say that.... but yep. I agree. I had my 7 year old daughter shut mine yesterday. I didn't hear any complaints that it was "Too Heavy" to close from here.
LOL!!! Daughter did fine? K guess I'd better get off the bike and back in the gym:) Don't have my ED yet (order and waiting) but tried the tail gate on a base model in the lot and found it a heavy lift. Also a little hard to find a grip on the rolled air dam. Have to head over to a dealer and try it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What capt said - mine is very light as well. Pretty sue they have a torsion assist already.
Quite certain mine has an assist already installed as well. At least that's what I was told at the dealer when I picked it up... and it is by far the easies tailgate I have ever lifted. Mine is the Big Horn with quick order package 28Z.... maybe base models do not have this assist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts