RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck for a bit over a year now. I've logged over 60k miles, all logged on fuelly. I can't figure out the signature link, but I've screenshotted it. I bought this truck hearing crazy stories about 30mpg on the highway and 25 in town. I drive about 75/25 highway city. Most of my time is spent around 70mph on the highway. Truck was stock until a couple weeks ago when I installed a GDE tuned ECM and deleted the EGR and straight piped it. Since the delete, I have only filled up a couple times and see about 2mpg difference.

The only time I even touched 28 I was doing 55mph along a flat stretch of highway in west TX. Otherwise, I'm just not getting anywhere near what I thought, and why I bought this truck. What am I doing wrong? Or is everyone just telling old fishing tales about their mileage?
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 11.35.43 PM.png

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well the first thing is 70 mph is freeway speeds not highway. The mpg listing on new vehicles is rated during a highway loop which is mostly 55 mph flat ground. I'm averaging 24.65 mpg with a 80/20 mix myself but ive done modifications that both help and hurt mpg. The first thing you need to do is slow down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 3.55s. Gde tuned and deleted and so far seeing about 24.5 on the last couple tanks with about 75% highway.

Difference between freeway and highway is means of access not speed. But splitting hairs there doesn't change speed limits. Both freeways and highways in New Mexico and west TX are between 60-80mph speed limits. I travel I-40 and I-25 primarily which are 75mph zones for the majority of the miles through this area. If I do 55mph in a 75mph someone will kill me as most are doing 85+. I'm not gonna save 3mpg and chance a high speed rear end collision.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have 3.55s. Gde tuned and deleted and so far seeing about 24.5 on the last couple tanks with about 75% highway.

Difference between freeway and highway is means of access not speed. But splitting hairs there doesn't change speed limits. Both freeways and highways in New Mexico and west TX are between 60-80mph speed limits. I travel I-40 and I-25 primarily which are 75mph zones for the majority of the miles through this area. If I do 55mph in a 75mph someone will kill me as most are doing 85+. I'm not gonna save 3mpg and chance a high speed rear end collision.
The difference between freeway speeds aka 70+ and highway speeds 55-60 in most states makes a big difference. In my case I take an alternate route to work which is a couple miles longer but is highway instead of freeway which helps my mpg and only takes a couple minutes longer. As speed increases so does aerodynamic drag, the faster you go the more power it takes to maintain speed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like to think I get above average MPG for my current trucks configuration. But a lot of it has to do with how I drive. I have a 2014, 6" lift and 35" tires. It has the 3.55 rear diff, and I am fully deleted now. I just completed a 540 mile round trip. On the way down I had myself, wife and 4 kids in the truck, as well as about 300lbs in the bed. I wanted to see how well I could get for fuel economy. I implemented a few hypermile techniques and was able to get 25.6 MPG. This was not hand calculated just what my evic displayed, but after 270 miles I was above half tank still, so it was pretty close. I varied my speed limit between 60-75mph, depending on the situation but got a little impatient and sped up after about the 2 hour mark to about 80 and held that for about an hour. I could have done better, I know that. The last part of the trip (last 35 miles or so) is going from 5,846′ elevation to 3,389′, which boosts the overall MPG for the trip. The overall MPG for the tank, after the 15.2 mile trip up the rocky canyon to the waterfall, which was very steep and required 4wd, and about 150 miles of city driving, was 23.4mpg at the pump.

On the way back, I pulled my 30' 7700lb travel trailer. I haven't filled up yet at the pump, but my evic says 14.6mpg right now, which is better than my average tank in my Tundra was when I wasn't towning. I stayed between 60-70mph the entire time, with a few dips into the upper 50 mph range and some in the the lower 70mph range. But the majority of the time I was 60-65.

I slowed down on the up hills (as much as 10mph) and sped up on the downhill to make up for it.

Most people do not believe my MPG so I don't post it much here any more. :) You also can't go off my fuelly average because I tow so much (we rent travel trailers and deliver them weekly).

Below is a picture of my truck from our drive up to some water falls on Sunday.

If you want to get good fuel economy, than you need to drive slower, use some hypermile techniques like slowing down on hills, and speeding up when going back down. ( like to keep my MPG at 18 on the evic when going up hills and will drop my speed with cruise control to maintain that as long as no one is behind me). Coast to lights and use as little braking as possible. This requires watching and planning ahead, as well as being aware of people behind you. Most people gun it until they have to slam on the brakes for the light. This is horrible for fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
About 24mpg right now on winter fuel, 3.55 with GDE non-delete tune and heavy fully optioned Laramie. I might get 26-28 on summer fuel.

My toy hauler is similar length and weight to gputah but I can't get much better than 11mpg pulling it.

I believe most mpg claims you see on this truck are exaggerated or they don't list the exact circumstances of the technique used. I mean I've pulled over 32mpg on a 200mi drive but it's not indicative of this truck.

Keep in mind, the dash indicated mpg is only an average of the most recent 200mi, so once your trip meter goes beyond 200mi, the accuracy could drop off.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Typically I'm in the low 20's for local runs here in the mountains. I've seen as hi as 29+ on the highway for longer runs, over an hour or if I reset the evic as I get on the highway. ( Just under 70 mph- 67/68 )
I did a hand calculation for the first year and it came out to be in the low 20's (21- 22, don't remember exactly) But that includes towing my 7800 lb tt. Towing is usually between 11 & 13. With GDE & 355 Diff. Stock 20" wheels.

Still WAAAY BETTER than my 16 mpg Chevy. Even better than my 13 Caddy CTS AWD wagon!! I only get 20 locally and 26 on the highway with that car.

·
Registered
13,530 Posts
Think my window sticker was from 19-27 mpg. Average was 24mpg. What did your window sticker say?

I averaged 26 mpg overall. Only times I ever got a sustained 29-30 mpg was slower riding on rural roads under good driving conditions. Once went about 300 miles like that and showed something like 31 mpg for that period. NOT ever done again and I was GDE tuned with 3:55’s.

Your expectations may be unrealistic if you have them much over the window sticker. Then remember, speed is not your friend for mpg.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gputah, that is a beautiful truck, background not bad either! BTW, my Ecodiesel gets much better mpgs than any other truck that I've owned= 2 1974 Mazda Rotarys, 1 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) a 4 cylinder Tacoma and a V6 supercharged Tacoma and lastly, the best truck that I've ever owned, a 2005 Thunder Road hemi Ram. Of course, I have slowed down, owning a diesel, probably makes you a better driver than having a hot rodded hemi.... No speeding tickets, haha.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This morning on my way to work I saw 22 MPG on the instant. That is pretty typical as the weather warms up. On colder days it will stay in the teens on the same highway with the cruise control always at 73mph. I used to see 21 MPG then it went up one when I got the GDE tunes. I typically see 13 MPG while towing my 8600 pound boat with the cruise at 68mph. My truck is stock height, 4wd and 3.92 gears.

·
Registered
198 Posts
According to fuelly 25. 7 MPG average. Best of 28.5. I typically run 78 MPH on the highway and get 27.5+ MPG. 2017 4x2, 3.55 rear end, GDE Tuned.

2017 1500 Limited (Ram 1500) | Fuelly

I did slow down one time below 65 on a 150 mile stretch due to poor weather conditions and the EVIC was averaging 31.

I would consider my daily commute "fast city". Not really city traffic, but 45+ MPH roads with several traffic lights and stop signs over an approximately 9 mile stretch. Then of course I work on a military base, so I average 3-5 minutes per day sitting in traffic at the gate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So really it sounds like what I'm getting is normal. Which is fine. I am in the rocky mountain areas a lot so I do drive at elevations of 5k-8k ft pretty regular. I spend probably 3 hours a week idling. When I tow my car hauler with something on it I get about 16mpg. I just read so much about people getting 30-35mpg on the highway regularly. So those folks were either liars or unicorns.

I use fuelly for every tank religiously so basically hand calculated. I notice my dic is less accurate post tune than before. But it's never much more than 1mpg off anyway.

I have no clue what the window sticker said. Bought the truck used last year.

I came over to this truck from a full size duramax. I got 19 highway, 16 city and about 12 towing on that. But smiles per gallon were MUCH higher. I've got several friends with full size cummins 4x4 tuned with mild lifts and 35-37" tires that see better mpg than I do on the highway and a bit worse in town. That's probably where I need to look for the next truck. I was looking into those initially and settled for the eco due to the cost and inflated mpg claims I saw everywhere.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. Appreciate the honesty.

·
Registered
949 Posts
As mentioned, it really depends on your set up. Axle, 4x4 or 4x2, crew or regular cab, bed length, trim... It all adds up to effect mileage. I'm running a stock 17 4x4 crewcab laramie with the 3.92. At just under 36k miles, my lifetime average in about 23 with mostly urban driving. Best tank to date was 27 when cruising around 60 mph across central Ohio. I'll do about 25 at 70-75 on the interstates.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
.... I just read so much about people getting 30-35mpg on the highway regularly. So those folks were either liars or unicorns.
depends on the wind , and speed , READINGS HERE = NO WIND , MAYBE LITTLE TAIL WIND ??
when possible witout becoming a '' cholesterol of the road blocking arteries '' I put cruise anywhere between 107 or 111 KPH ,
I see 6L / 100 km , goes to 5 , goes to 7 , depending on little ups or downs on the road .

''''' GDE Tuned '''''''''''' , 3.55 rear , cruise control ON , << ** EVIC readings >>, so seeing 7L/100km could be 7.8 , there is no decimal on EVIC .
(( when I see 6L / 100 Km , it could be 6.9 so lets say 7 )) puts me in Unicorn territory ...
when I see 5 , and I do see 5 , I'm in the high 30s .

<<<<<<<< some days, same cruise control speeds , and I get 10L or 11 L at best , it is the wind ....>>>>>>>

numbers translated to MPH = 107 and 111 KPH = 66.5 and 69 MPH
numbers translated to US gallons =
8L / 100 km = 29.4 MP US gallon
7L / 100 km = 33.6 MP US gallon
6L / 100 km = 39.2 MP US gallon
5L / 100 km = 47 MP US gallon
---
10L / 100 km = 23.5 MP US gallon
11L / 100 km = 21.5 MP US gallon
---------------------------------------------------------------
ALL true Numbers //
IMPORTANT DETAIL : with engine UP AT TEMPERATURES , it's a diesel , numbers not optimal until warm .
short drives will not give you top numbers .
---------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
939 Posts
2017 Eco Tradesman 3.55 gears with LT275/70R/17 tires, tuned.

Winter time and winter fuel, mostly local driving (Alaska and cold) I get 18-22 mpg. I rarely go anywhere far away, so mostly no freeway driving. Lots of long warmups really kills my mileage.

Summer time I've gotten up to 31 mpg (hand calculated) empty, about 14.5 mpg towing our little RV TT. Winter fuel will drop that number to 10.5 mpg when towing. The best I've gotten towing was 16.4 mpg, on a warm perfect day, no wind, and straight up #2 Louisiana diesel.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
So really it sounds like what I'm getting is normal. Which is fine. I am in the rocky mountain areas a lot so I do drive at elevations of 5k-8k ft pretty regular. I spend probably 3 hours a week idling. When I tow my car hauler with something on it I get about 16mpg. I just read so much about people getting 30-35mpg on the highway regularly. So those folks were either liars or unicorns.

I use fuelly for every tank religiously so basically hand calculated. I notice my dic is less accurate post tune than before. But it's never much more than 1mpg off anyway.

I have no clue what the window sticker said. Bought the truck used last year.

I came over to this truck from a full size duramax. I got 19 highway, 16 city and about 12 towing on that. But smiles per gallon were MUCH higher. I've got several friends with full size cummins 4x4 tuned with mild lifts and 35-37" tires that see better mpg than I do on the highway and a bit worse in town. That's probably where I need to look for the next truck. I was looking into those initially and settled for the eco due to the cost and inflated mpg claims I saw everywhere.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. Appreciate the honesty.
I bet if you ask your buddies their Johnson is bigger than yours too! If your buddies are saying they are beating mid 20's on the hwy with lifted cummins and bigger tires they have some serious money invested in mods and are hypermiling kings.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It would be really interesting to run a gas rig on the road next to an ED, same load, same speed, same manner of driving, and see what the difference is. I've seen two people drive different and the MPG proves the style of driving is key. My wife takes off from the line moderately faster than me. She never coasts and doesn't downshift. I consistently get better mileage on both vehicles (her's is a Durango R/T).

Reactions: Gputah and MAS

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I have a tuned '15 crew cab short bed 4x4 with 3.55 gears. Driving over 70 mph will drop the mpg's fast. I live and drive in a pretty flat part of south texas. I average 27-28 mpg commuting to work(20 miles 1 way). Hwy mileage depends completely on how fast I'm driving and the wind. I've done as good as 32mpg (65 mph) and as bad as 24mpg(85 mph). I seldom exceed 2000-2200 rpm even when accelerating and routinely drive 65 mph. You cannot drive however you want and expect to get the top end mileage especially with highway speeds in the 70-80 mph range. You also cant put the hammer down to get up to speed. I get passes a lot.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts