RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
What?

For a 30 mile drive 65-80 is a difference of a about 6 minutes. And yeah 6 minutes isn't a ton. For me that difference would waste about a half hour per day. Some days a little less, on my long days, it would cost me an extra 1.5hrs. Admittedly, I could shave 5 minutes here and there and probably make it up elsewhere in life I'm sure.

But flow of traffic again is the concern here. One person deciding to do 15mph less than everyone else can cause accidents. And it's not always the turtle that's involved. It's the guy doing 90 hitting the guy doing 75 in the fast lane trying to pass the guy doing 15 under...... it's less dangerous for everyone involved to go with the flow.
Clearly the guy (mostly a teenager or a jerk) doing 90mph is not going with the flow. I travel a lot and in many different places. Virginia is almost always 3mph +/- of the speed limit and its relaxing. In other states you have the 90mph (going with the flow) zooming around everybody else.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What?

For a 30 mile drive 65-80 is a difference of a about 6 minutes. And yeah 6 minutes isn't a ton. For me that difference would waste about a half hour per day. Some days a little less, on my long days, it would cost me an extra 1.5hrs. Admittedly, I could shave 5 minutes here and there and probably make it up elsewhere in life I'm sure.

But flow of traffic again is the concern here. One person deciding to do 15mph less than everyone else can cause accidents. And it's not always the turtle that's involved. It's the guy doing 90 hitting the guy doing 75 in the fast lane trying to pass the guy doing 15 under. Then an innumerable amount of people potentially affected as they sit in traffic backed up for an hour or better waiting for things to be cleared from the roadway. There's been traffic studies for several years that prove traffic accidents and fatalities rise when the cautious and slow drivers impede the flow of traffic. Sure if only everyone would slow down 15mph then the risks would be less but we live in the real world. On a 2 lane freeway where there is constant traffic, it's less dangerous for everyone involved to go with the flow.

Nope, less dangerous if the jackass doing 90 slows down. I drive 65 and stay in the right lane. Occasionally I do have to pass someone going 55-60. In those instances I do wait for the flow of traffic to go by before I pass.

Going faster than the published speed (especially 90) in the left or right lane is just plain dangerous. Those traveling 5-10 below posted mph are not the problem. Look ahead down the road and be aware of those traveling slower. Adjust your speed and time your passing safely.

No one should be compelled to travel faster than the published speed limit just to accommodate those who drive reckless and unsafe. Share the road and be respectful to those who feel safer driving a little slower.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We made a trip today to a little Church that we like to go to when we are at our house on the Tombigbee river. But we have been working long hour and seven days a week. The Church is about 95 miles one way, about 30 miles on US hwy 82 @ 65mph and 20 miles on I 20/59 @ 69 mph and the rest 2 lane 45 to 55 mph a lot of up and down hills on all roads. Truck is showing 28.8 mpg.I will see what it shows when we fill up again, we just filled up 3/14/2020. My truck is the Limited 4X4 with the 3.92 gears, could not get but 3.92 when ordered our truck

No one should be compelled to travel faster than the published speed limit just to accommodate those who drive reckless and unsafe. Share the road and be respectful to those who feel safer driving a little slower.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Thursday last week I went fishing with the wife and son for my birthday. 240 miles on the tank. 40 miles driving back and forth to work and 200 miles towing our 4500-5000 lb boat. I drove 65 empty to work and back 1 day the 40 miles. When I hooked up the boat the EVIC said 30.1 mpg. When I unhooked the boat in the garage after we got back from the trip I had 240 miles and the EVIC said 20.7 MPG.

If you calculate that out 40 miles at 30.1 mpg, then the towing mileage comes out to 18.82 mpg. That is on the high side of my towing numbers, but the more I drive the truck the progressively better the mileage has gotten and I had no head wind on the way down and a mild-ish tail wind on the way home.

I drove cruise control set on 65 on a 75 mph road (I-37) had no issues with traffic running me over or causing jams, and yes the left lane does move at 80-90 mph. I passed a few people in the right lane, but just waiting for a gap makes it now biggie.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Clearly the guy (mostly a teenager or a jerk) doing 90mph is not going with the flow. I travel a lot and in many different places. Virginia is almost always 3mph +/- of the speed limit and its relaxing. In other states you have the 90mph (going with the flow) zooming around everybody else.
My experience is traffic on many of those roads out of the metro areas easily travels at 80-90 mph in the left lane. The right lane usually considerably slower.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I live in a little Mayberry town in West Tn called Somerville. It has a four lane US Highway that runs right through the middle of it with a posted limit of 30 mph. There are Barney Fifes sitting to the east and west of town waiting for the speeders to come through. Those two Barneys do their best to support the town treasury.

When I travel through town I always set my cruise on 30 and just ride on through. I have reset my evic a few times through town and usually get 45-47 mpg average at 30 mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What gears does your truck have.

Thursday last week I went fishing with the wife and son for my birthday. 240 miles on the tank. 40 miles driving back and forth to work and 200 miles towing our 4500-5000 lb boat. I drove 65 empty to work and back 1 day the 40 miles. When I hooked up the boat the EVIC said 30.1 mpg. When I unhooked the boat in the garage after we got back from the trip I had 240 miles and the EVIC said 20.7 MPG.

If you calculate that out 40 miles at 30.1 mpg, then the towing mileage comes out to 18.82 mpg. That is on the high side of my towing numbers, but the more I drive the truck the progressively better the mileage has gotten and I had no head wind on the way down and a mild-ish tail wind on the way home.

I drove cruise control set on 65 on a 75 mph road (I-37) had no issues with traffic running me over or causing jams, and yes the left lane does move at 80-90 mph. I passed a few people in the right lane, but just waiting for a gap makes it now biggie.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd say yours isn't far off from the avg.

I have 3.92 & reserve tank/toolbox in bed. Winter I'm usually 20-22 MPG & summer 25-27 MPG. My driving is prob closer 80/20 with speed limit of 65 (so I set cruise at 68 MPH). I did recently switch to highway tires & added GDE tune.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
What gears does your truck have.
It used to all be on my posts, but I guess since the forum format has changed/updated it didn't carry over. I have a 2015 tradesman crew cab short bed 4x4 with 3.55 gears. I tow limiting the truck to 7th gear with tow/haul on and at 65 mph it runs +/- 2100 rpm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Howie. Now you need to get a Hemi for the full comparison ;)
I can help with this. My wife has a 2019 Limited 4x4 hemi, no etorque, 3.92. We took a trip to Florida this past winter from NC. Best we got there and back was 18.7mpg.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in a little Mayberry town in West Tn called Somerville. It has a four lane US Highway that runs right through the middle of it with a posted limit of 30 mph. There are Barney Fifes sitting to the east and west of town waiting for the speeders to come through. Those two Barneys do their best to support the town treasury.

When I travel through town I always set my cruise on 30 and just ride on through. I have reset my evic a few times through town and usually get 45-47 mpg average at 30 mph.
I actually live just outside Mt. Airy, NC. The actual town of Mayberry. :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Speed limit is 75 to 65 mph on most of my drive. The truck typically averages from 24.5 to 26 mpg; just depends on summer, winter, and what speed I drive. Generally speaking, that is 5mph over the posted.
2016 Crew Cab w/3.55

·
Registered
91 Posts
I easily get 650 miles per tank. And that’s about 560 miles highway at 70-80 and 90 miles local driving. I’m happy with the combined 25mpg. The local driving is all short trips and stop an go. I know on the highway I’ve gotten 29mpg doing 70-75 with no head wind.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Back in my Ecodiesel days I noticed wind was the largest mileage contributor. Unless it was a tailwind it was guaranteed my mileage was going down. I had some heavy hankook tires on mine too, that knocked it down a few MPG I think, only managed to get 1100 miles on the stock set before I had 2 or 3 flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back in my Ecodiesel days I noticed wind was the largest mileage contributor. Unless it was a tailwind it was guaranteed my mileage was going down. I had some heavy hankook tires on mine too, that knocked it down a few MPG I think, only managed to get 1100 miles on the stock set before I had 2 or 3 flats.

I agree that wind is the biggest factor of mpg along with hills. My highway travel is relatively flat

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mine was mostly Montana, Wyoming and Utah, so not flat, but wind still played the biggest role I think

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 2017 crew cab Big Horn 4x4 with a 3.55 rear got (before it blew), around 18-19 mpg most of the time. I was lucky to hit 20, MAYBE 21 in the summer.

Last summer, I took a 601 mile round trip, mostly highway. I got an all time best 23.5 mpg average on that trip, the highest I've ever seen on my truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2018, 4x4, Quad, short bed. 50 mile trip to work, no traffic, cruise set at 65 I get 33.4-8 MPG every trip. Piedmont of GA.

Combined, highway and around town after a month it will settle at 24-26 MPG.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts